• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OVERCLOCKERs team user total for folding at home users is low or is it just me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Now I remember buying a couple GPUs and a few months later came the big announcement....sharp turn ahead, those GPUs can't fold anymore.....so yeah.....buy what you need, and donate what you can....things change faster than a rabbit being chased by a dog.

More equipment has been called obsolete by FAH than you can shake a stick at.

I believe that you're talking about the AMD x1000 series. I got caught up in that too. For me it was just one card though.

Definitely single cpu with as much gpu as you can afford <--- will last the longest I think - 2p/4p will be dead as of January.

No it won't. I'm sure there are people other than me who don't think the points are the end goal, here.

No it won't. I'm sure there are people other than me who don't think the points are the end goal, here.
It really will be. There will be few to zero new entries into the world of 4P when they end the point boost for them. Those of you who still have 4P systems may keep them going but the incentive for them will be removed. Simple economics. 4P systems are expensive to aquire and to operate/maintain. No incentive means that there will be fewer participants in the market.

Fold on! I admire that you have a commitment that goes beyond your own bubble. Its a good thing.

The incentive should be to fold for science... the points are just a neat way to compete with others is how I look at it. That said, the points are a way to actually quantify performance, otherwise, we wouldn't really have a barometer outside of perhaps # of completed WU's.

The incentive should be to fold for science... the points are just a neat way to compete with others is how I look at it. That said, the points are a way to actually quantify performance, otherwise, we wouldn't really have a barometer outside of perhaps # of completed WU's.

That's a very altruistic view. The fact is, 4P systems don't crunch *that* much more data yet because the points were over inflated, many people jumped to 4P. PG uses the point system to test out new technology by increasing point values and because those points are so high, people make the move to test these processes for PG. This is an observable fact that has occurred several times in the past.

With that said, the points are worthless. We all know that. I use them as a metric to see how much assistance I am giving the project. I know that the higher my ppd, the more *good* I'm doing. Yet I also use the points to rank myself against my peers and competitors. Think about the chimp challenge for example. The CC is not about the science. Its a way to show each other which team can beat the others.

To join these points together, because the points are worthless, we all fold for the science, but the points serve a different purpose which creates a motivation of its own.

Some will fold regardless of points and regardless of how they are treated. But I think most find the points entertaining until the refs suddenly change the rules in the middle of the game. Then people get upset, and that's where we are now. It's not the points, because clearly they have no meaning, but its the principle of being mistreated that angers people and I'm sure has contributed to us having 50% zeros on the first page, along with all the other teams.

The rule is simple, respect the players, respect the rules and everyone will have fun. Don't do that and you are heading for problems - even if you have the best of intentions and ideas.

I for one would not fold on a 4p if i got the same points as a p4. I think that totally disrespects the resources donated. I would find another project that has more respect. F@H has a respect problem - I don't see that they care.

Last edited:
You know that word "entitlement" politicians like to toss around like candy? I think you have that problem, when you say you're "being mistreated". Do you claim you're being mistreated when you donate a few dollars to a charity and don't get a bronze plaque forever enshrining those dollars? If you're only donating for the recognition, then it is YOU that doesn't give a rat's ***, not the project, so why are you part of the project in the first place? You could join a pyramid coin scheme instead and at least get a few dollars out of it.

OK so I upgraded my 920 to a x5660 and went from 3min 9secs per frame to 1min 54 secs per frame on a 6385. Not bad for a 60$ upgrade... now to part with some stuff very soon as I need an empty case.

You know that word "entitlement" politicians like to toss around like candy?

If I donate a dollar to help homeless people and the organizers spend it on trips to Florida to gamble, then yes I do feel ripped off AND yes I am entitled to get what I donated for.

If F@H tells me I will get 1000 points for doing X, then when I find out its only 100, yes I take offense at being mislead. As I said before, the points are meaningless, but the principle of the thing is important. Fair play, honesty and respect are important and unfortunately F@H plays pretty loose with those concepts to advance the "science" I suppose.

As far as F@H is concerned, I do believe they have serious problems with donors and the fact that so many people have left the fold speaks directly to that. If you want only the hard core folders who fold for the cause, that's exactly what you are going to have left - virtually nobody. I suspect F@H is lining up big donors and doesn't care about the little guys anyway.

We have 50% zeros on page one, and 75% zeros on page 2. You to seem to think that's just great, because what is left is the real folders. I think its a disaster coming, if its not already here.

I'm not going to answer your personal insults because they have no relevance in a reasonable discussion.

Last edited:
What is better for a folding/gaming/surfing web/benching rig?

A. ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS with two x E5-2600 v3 and 1 gpu
B. ASRock X99 Extreme4 with one E5-2600 v3 and 2-3 gpu's
C. ASUS KGPE-D16 with two 12 or 16 core opty's and 1gpu
D. ???

Do still do the santa thing around here? I really would like to help get OCforums back on the top of the charts some how./// Any thoughts on a giveaway folding contest? We got any hardware testers that want to help on the hardware supply end of things?

I've also noticed that there's a lot of inactive former heavy hitters on our team. My equipment is slowly getting depreciated too. I've noticed the WUs don't seem to run as well as they used to. Less PPD. Looks like I'll have to pony up for a new GPU if I want to stay competitive or even active if my cpu ceases to make the deadlines in the near future.

As for FAH/PG, it's their science project and we'll have to play by any rules they decide to implement to facilitate their current and future research needs. Don't invest any more $ than you care to spend. It's all voluntary. You can quit whenever you want.

Just sayin'... :shrug:

What is better for a folding/gaming/surfing web/benching rig?

A. ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS with two x E5-2600 v3 and 1 gpu
B. ASRock X99 Extreme4 with one E5-2600 v3 and 2-3 gpu's
C. ASUS KGPE-D16 with two 12 or 16 core opty's and 1gpu
D. ???

Do still do the santa thing around here? I really would like to help get OCforums back on the top of the charts some how./// Any thoughts on a giveaway folding contest? We got any hardware testers that want to help on the hardware supply end of things?

It was just recently best (for Folding) to get a 2P or 4P with 16 cores each. You would just crush it points wise. However, come the end of the year, those points go away. However, that setup with multi CPU with multi cores would never have been the best setup for gaming/web surfing.

The best bet is a good CPU and as much GPU as you can cram in. AMD is presently the better brand for folding ppd.

You know that word "entitlement" politicians like to toss around like candy? I think you have that problem, when you say you're "being mistreated". Do you claim you're being mistreated when you donate a few dollars to a charity and don't get a bronze plaque forever enshrining those dollars? If you're only donating for the recognition, then it is YOU that doesn't give a rat's ***, not the project, so why are you part of the project in the first place? You could join a pyramid coin scheme instead and at least get a few dollars out of it.
I think you may be putting a politicle overtone into this conversation. The bottom line is if you donate to any organization in any way, that organization should appreciate the assistance. The organization in question doesn't have to give praise or give ANYTHING at all but they should, at the very least, not make you regret that donation. That is, if the organization wants more and continued assistance.

Definitely single cpu with as much gpu as you can afford <--- will last the longest I think - 2p/4p will be dead as of January.

Whilst I agree that GPU is the current way to go, 2p/4p won't be dead come January 31st, my most powerful rig will still pull 200-300k PPD on SMP wu + I have plenty of spare PCIe slots.

The bottom line is if you donate to any organization in any way, that organization should appreciate the assistance. The organization in question doesn't have to give praise or give ANYTHING at all but they should, at the very least, not make you regret that donation. That is, if the organization wants more and continued assistance.

Sure. Org X gives you a coffee mug for donating Y resources. If you later break that mug or decide you really needed that Y more than the mug, and go blaming X for it, you are simply an ***. This is not like X is breaking into your home and stealing the mug. If X stops giving out mugs, so what? That doesn't mean they appreciate Y any less.

Originally Posted by don256us View Post
The bottom line is if you donate to any organization in any way, that organization should appreciate the assistance. The organization in question doesn't have to give praise or give ANYTHING at all but they should, at the very least, not make you regret that donation. That is, if the organization wants more and continued assistance.
Sure. Org X gives you a coffee mug for donating Y resources. If you later break that mug or decide you really needed that Y more than the mug, and go blaming X for it, you are simply an ***. This is not like X is breaking into your home and stealing the mug. If X stops giving out mugs, so what? That doesn't mean they appreciate Y any less.
You guys are talking past each other. You are not on the same level of examples. Comparing apples to orangutangs.

I see the numbers increasing a user or more a day but I want to see team 32 at 500+ users by xmas....

Back