• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OVERCLOCKERs team user total for folding at home users is low or is it just me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
I remember it being around 500+ users of more back a few 4-6 years ago and it seems that we are around 1/4 of that now.

WHAT HAPPEN?

Is there anything you guys what to try and setup to get more users for team 32 evolved?

I think a hardware giveaway might help? I do remember there being some kinda thing like this before for new members only...

just saying I don't want to be thinking I"m gonna be spending big $ on upgrades for the wrong team lol :salute:

Last edited:
There are sticky threads here in this section that show what it is too (while you wait).

That said it is using your cpu and gpu power to fold proteins for science.. cancer, Alzheimer's, etc.

It also makes you prettier, happier, and can replace all the vitamins you may take. You'll be a better dancer. A real good way to pick up chicks too.

Some people say I exaggerate. Some people lie.:shock:

It also makes you prettier, happier, and can replace all the vitamins you may take. You'll be a better dancer. A real good way to pick up chicks too.

Some people say I exaggerate. Some people lie.:shock:

Darn lying exaggerators - I believe the vitamin part though, makes sense - and who wouldn't check out a guy with a big computer <-- bigger is better I thought.

Lol well I dunno about all that but my computer is folding now.

From the look of that avatar, I suggest you stop licking the plug ends after its plugged in!!

I remember it being around 500+ users of more back a few 4-6 years ago and it seems that we are around 1/4 of that now.

WHAT HAPPEN?

All of FAH is down substantially - due to a whole set of reasons including the economy, the price of new equipment, and not least of which is the attitude of FAH towards its donors.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the look of that avatar, I suggest you stop licking the plug ends after its plugged in!!

LOL

All of FAH is down substantially - due to a whole set of reasons including the economy, the price of new equipment, and not least of which is the attitude of FAH towards its donors.

I can under stand the economy part. Plus the team has lost some big name people (adak) hated to hear that. So what would you advice a noob to purchase if the was wanting to get into folding didn't have a budget and wanted around 500k-1mill ppd output. I don't think I want to do this with on pc but with 2 for sure. Looking at a 970 or 980 for each rig but only upgrading one and building 1 new.

do we still do the team32monkey folding challenge?

We lost a couple big hitters during the mining craze... No idea why they haven't switched back or why they would still be mining in the first place.

LOL
So what would you advice a noob to purchase if the was wanting to get into folding didn't have a budget and wanted around 500k-1mill ppd output. I don't think I want to do this with on pc but with 2 for sure. Looking at a 970 or 980 for each rig but only upgrading one and building 1 new.

Advice huh? Remember it is worth what you pay for it.

In my experience Folding on three PCs, no experience in 4P folding; choosing a graphics card which puts out the most PPD (points per day) for the expense of buying it and running it (electricity cost) are what you have to decide is right for you. Right now the GTX 970s are intriguing to me. They cost around $330 - $380, run overclocked at about 2/3rd the electricity cost of a 780Ti, and produce PPD at a higher rate than a 780Ti or a R9 290X.
970 compute.png
Some people have posted that they are getting over 300,000 PPD on their overclocked GTX 970s.

So if money was no object, I'd get a motherboard that can handle a cpu that either multi-threads at least 8, or fits an eight core cpu (an appropriate cpu like the 4970K or AMD FX-9370 Vishera 8-Core) with four PCIe 2.0 slots, a gold certified 1200 watt PSU, a full tower case, and three or four GTX 980s or GTX 970s.
Three GTX 980s or four 970s should yield 1,000,000 PPD or more.

Last edited:
I'm gonna keep the gpu's to one per system (more then 2 is too two much heat IMO). 2 at most maybe in a strictly folding pc.

I more less meant the best board's-cpu's on the market. 4p or 2p where do they stand in ppd compared to a nice cpu set-up. btw this is way off topic here sry fellas

so are we gonna do a christmas team 32 folding monkeys challenge?

yes I have a copy of that google spread sheet and it looks like I need atleast a 780 ti or better. points up to the man with the green face...

With BA coming to a quick end and no real discussion from Pande Group, I would say GPUs are the best bet to maximize bang for the buck.

Now I remember buying a couple GPUs and a few months later came the big announcement....sharp turn ahead, those GPUs can't fold anymore.....so yeah.....buy what you need, and donate what you can....things change faster than a rabbit being chased by a dog.

More equipment has been called obsolete by FAH than you can shake a stick at.

well I did try out a celeron d on ubuntu the other day just playing around with a old e machines and needless to say ppd was in the wooping double digits///

I want to know is it better to have a nice single cpu set-up or a 2p-4p. I game, fold, and surf the web...

well I did try out a celeron d on ubuntu the other day just playing around with a old e machines and needless to say ppd was in the wooping double digits///

I want to know is it better to have a nice single cpu set-up or a 2p-4p. I game, fold, and surf the web...

Single (multi-core/thread) CPU with multiple GPUs has been in my stable for years. Note the "ancient" Antec Skeleton case and 9800 GX2s (circa 2008/9). CPU (AMD/Intel) and motherboard (MSI K9A2 Platinum/P6N Diamond) is the same, but the GPUs have been upgraded several times. YMMV. ;)

IMG_0519.jpg

Definitely single cpu with as much gpu as you can afford <--- will last the longest I think - 2p/4p will be dead as of January.

Back