• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OVERCLOCKERs team user total for folding at home users is low or is it just me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Still better since the nVidia GTX 900 series release?

That's a great question. All I know is that gaming wise, my GTX 770 and the R9-280x are very similar. Yet in folding, my 280x completely destroys my 770's output.

Last edited:
All one needs to do is see the average PPD for each and then divide it by the wattage. ;)

I googled and found this...

~250K PPD (9201 WU) for the 970 @ 1440 core. If the TDP is 150W, overclocked may be 165W (power limit is 10% on most cards). So assuming these values, you are looking at 1515 PPW.

All one needs to do is see the average PPD for each and then divide it by the wattage. ;)

I googled and found this...

~250K PPD (9201 WU) for the 970 @ 1440 core. If the TDP is 150W, overclocked may be 165W (power limit is 10% on most cards). So assuming these values, you are looking at 1515 PPW.

Woah. Either F@H is optimized for Nvidia, or my 7850 + 270x just suck :drool:
That's literally double my PPD!

I used to fold, but then I annoyed when all the stupid bonus points for dual cores came out, and I outright quite when the i7 came out and they made the point bonuses absolutely outrageous. Ever since then, the bonus points for running the latest and greatest hardware has always far exceeded the difference in folding power. I liked installing F@H on my own computers and those of willing friends and family. It felt good that I was getting out there and getting as many different computers involved as possible. But unfortunately, they decided to make F@H more about focusing on the individual buying the most powerful system they could and leaving others in the dust. If the points were distributed evenly based on the folding power, I would get back into it the next day. But as it stands, it feels completely pointless to install F@H on any computer that isn't top of the line.

Back to the original focus of the thread, the number of folders for Team 32; I noticed that the number is up to 142 from 123 during the summer.
If I remember correctly the average per folder is up also.
During the summer the team was doing about 80,000,000 per week, now nearer 100,000,000 per week.

Good news... and typical as its getting colder. Those that shutdown all the way or partially for the summer are now coming back on line.

Don't forget about rewards from EVGA attracting lots of folders to them. Also there is Curecoin that has some people there. Another huge thing is rise of Bitcoin / cryptocurrencies where people devoted their computer power towards those endeavors.

welp now that it is winter i can fold during the day with no power cost as my mancave is heated my electricity anyways, and very well insulated. il fire it up tonight once im done gaming.

I used to fold, but then I annoyed when all the stupid bonus points for dual cores came out, and I outright quite when the i7 came out and they made the point bonuses absolutely outrageous. Ever since then, the bonus points for running the latest and greatest hardware has always far exceeded the difference in folding power. I liked installing F@H on my own computers and those of willing friends and family. It felt good that I was getting out there and getting as many different computers involved as possible. But unfortunately, they decided to make F@H more about focusing on the individual buying the most powerful system they could and leaving others in the dust. If the points were distributed evenly based on the folding power, I would get back into it the next day. But as it stands, it feels completely pointless to install F@H on any computer that isn't top of the line.

Just ignore the points and fold for the cause then? :shrug:

There is a valid reason for them to do this. When new hardware comes out, they create new clients. These clients need to be tested. Since they can't buy all of this hardware on thier own, they increase the point values for those who do purchase this equipment. Pande Group (PG) gets to not only test the new clients, but they also get a much larger test "pool" in which to do so. Once the testing is done, they either scrap the new core or bring the points down to a more reasonable value except...

Because the users have complained about the loss of point values, PG has given in the the wishes of the doners and kept point values high for many of the tested cores. Thus point inflation has happened in the 13 years that I've been folding.

Join the fold to have fun with the group here. Join the fold in hopes of helping cure some really horrible diseases. You can't do anything with the points anyway so just have fun. I do and the guys here really help push me in some well felt challenges.

Don.

More complex and larger molecules require more computing power. Newer hardware has the power. Older hardware gets left behind. Try running any modern OS on an older PC. It takes forever to load if it even will. Same with the latest FAH modeling requirements.

I can't get to the Extreme OC site at work. Our McAfee appliance has that site listed as "sports" and thus blocks it. I can get to:
http://kakaostats.com/tsum.php?t=32

Here it shows that we are up to 166 contributing members with a low of 151. So being up by 15 users is close to a 10% increase which is good.

Don't forget about rewards from EVGA attracting lots of folders to them. Also there is Curecoin that has some people there. Another huge thing is rise of Bitcoin / cryptocurrencies where people devoted their computer power towards those endeavors.

Dude that coin is long dead. There's no profit at all to be made in it anymore.
I assume those folding for team curecoin are simply folding because it's useful and they know they can't make money mining anymore.

I haven't folded for years for a few reasons - a lack of stable home internet for the past 8 months, and the fact that all my kit is well out of date.

My primary machine is a >4 year old Lenovo W510, and I don't have the money or the incentive to upgrade. I do keep flirting with the idea of buying a desktop machine for my work office ...

I am retired so that means 'limited income' which makes 24/7 folding an extravagance that just doesn't fit in the budget; electric bill just goes though the roof.

My "best" hardware is a 16 thread Xeon E2650, which can do abt 25k/day is left behind by the typical f@h GPUs. I wouldn't mind getting a fancy GPU to fold with, but really couldn't run it all the time, and don't have other use for one.

My best bang for the buck would be a new GPU that's way more efficient than my current GTX9800+ (only 6kPPD on a good day but heats my room up several degrees). The GTX 970 @ $330 looks good. I'm still using too much power with only my CPU folding. 5kPPD

Back