• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flashing a R280 to a R280X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No 7950's have ever been succesfully unlocked to a 7970 that i ever heard same with 280 to 280x.

Would have been cool if it was ever possible though would have been a cool deal kinda like the 6950 to 6970 unlocks.

290's at first many unlocked to 290x's but AMD put a stop to that quite quickly.

Most are still going fine too.

many early cards 290 and 290x however were rma'd for blackscreen issues so yea many are probably off the market now anyhow for unrelated issues.

if you were to pull off the heatsinks of the unlockable 290's the cores were actually stamped with 290x cores lol just locked ones.. so must have been a shortage of 290's that just got locked and rebranded to make up supply.

however gl finding one that unlocks now I havent heard of any recently but old stocked reference cards may still be out there.

xfx and powercolor had the most success stories.

this is what I was trying to do!!! flash my 7970 to a 280x, my first time flashing a gpu, totaly borked it and now trying to figure a way to get the card back.
E_D talks about dual bios in post #4, what's that?

some cards two BIOS on them C/D, there's a switch on the card which will allow you to switch from one BIOS to another. Both of my MSI Lightning cards have it, I'm not sure what other cards do though.

The second bios is write protected so you dont have to worry about that. To fix it all you have to do is boot up on the second bios and flip the bios switch back to position 1 to reflash the primary bios. That should fix it.

What card do you have CD?

gigabyte gv-r797oc-3gd.
looking for the switch i seem to have found the acual issue, the card is now water cooled, but no block installed.
the cpu block is leaking onto the motherboard heatsink and that has flooded the gpu, so I will have to reseal the block and wait for my other 7970 and 770 to return from prison.

I tried the same thing with my 270. Tried flashing it to a 270x. At first I bricked it but luckily I got a spare and had my backup bios. Just edit the stock bios and put in the numbers from the 280x. Worked great doing mine that way.

gigabyte gv-r797oc-3gd.
looking for the switch i seem to have found the acual issue, the card is now water cooled, but no block installed.
the cpu block is leaking onto the motherboard heatsink and that has flooded the gpu, so I will have to reseal the block and wait for my other 7970 and 770 to return from prison.

Dang that's unfortunate. If it comes back to life and you still want to flash it, first see how far the clocks will go stable. Check the first 2 bioses on this list . I flashed mine using Ati Winflash and cmd command prompt. I followed this guide .

Good luck!

got it running again!!!, replaced o ring on block barb, dried it out with suga bees hair drier, still got post beeps for no vga, found bios switch, it is teeny tiny.
still got no vga, removed card again and saw crud from water on the pcb.
the strongest alchohol I have is my everclear so i gace it a bath with that and a tooth brush, dried it out again and i'm up and running again, thanks guys!!!!!

thank you very much opty for letting me hijack your thread.
I will go start my own for overclocking and flashing and i hope you will join me with that.

Back