• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD setup on Crosshair V Formula Z

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sony190

How is the HDD ports set up on the Asus Crosshair V Formula Z.
I would like to install Windows Preveiw 10 but do not know how the slave master options work on this Mobo.
I will be using a Hitachi 1GB Hdd drive for the install and keeping the SSD functioning

Slave/Master relationships are no more. That disappeared with the advent of SATA technology.

Are you wanting to do a dual boot arrangement? Could you be more specific? If not, I suggest disconnecting the original system drive (the SSD?) while you install Windows 10 preview. After the install, reconnect the original system drive and choose which one to boot from by hitting the F12 key as the computer is restarting.

All SATA ports on this board are the same - SATA3, so you can use any port you like. Later you set in BIOS AHCI or RAID mode. You can use both for single drive but AHCI is recommended. Later as trents suggested, disconnect all drives but the one on which you want to have Win10 installed. Install system and connect other drives. Later set from which drive you want to boot ( if on SSD you have other system ).

Back