• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 4670k 3.4ghz to 4.0ghz overclocking ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irnbru95

I recently built my first gaming PC, and I am looking to overclock my CPU to 4.0ghz.

I have an Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell) processor, and Gigabyte Z97X-SLI Intel Z97 DDR3 ATX Motherboard.

Could anyone provide me with instructions on how to go about doing this please?
also, would it be better to OC through the BIOS or use software? if software, what software would I use ?

Regards,
John.

Go through the BIOS.

There's a great set of stickies in this section about overclocking Haswell.

You will need the guide that was linked, AIDA64, prime95, IntelBurnTest, CPU-z, HWMonitor and Coretemp. You don't really need all of them but it doesn't hurt to really test your OC.

Okay... I think I have overclocked my CPU, but I'm not sure.

In task manager and CPU-Z, it says that my Core Speed is 4.20GHz (average - circled in RED)
But my Maximum Speed on task manager and on my System Information is still @ 3.40GHz ? (circled in BLUE)
Is this meant to happen or can it be changed ?

121.JPG

dfedf.JPG

You are oc'd. Don't worry about what is shown in the System info screen. My rig is oc'd, but the System info screen shows the default speed of the cpu. That is normal.

You are oc'd. Don't worry about what is shown in the System info screen. My rig is oc'd, but the System info screen shows the default speed of the cpu. That is normal.

Just to be sure... can anyone else confirm the above is true ?

Yup, if CPUz says you are at 4199MHz then you are running 4.2GHz.

Many apps just look at the rating of the CPU and don't report overclocks correctly.

attachment.php

Circled in blue is the "full name" of the CPU. That's all that is. It does not list the actual operating frequency. an i7 4790K's full name is "Intel (R) Core (TM) i7 4790K 4.0Ghz"

You need to use a seperate utility such as CPU-Z to see the actual operating frequency in real time.

Have you stress tested your overclock? Did you tweak any voltages? Have you set your RAM timings as per the sticker on the RAM or RAM packaging?

attachment.php

Circled in blue is the "full name" of the CPU. That's all that is. It does not list the actual operating frequency. an i7 4790K's full name is "Intel (R) Core (TM) i7 4790K 4.0Ghz"

You need to use a seperate utility such as CPU-Z to see the actual operating frequency in real time.

Have you stress tested your overclock? Did you tweak any voltages? Have you set your RAM timings as per the sticker on the RAM or RAM packaging?

No I haven't overclocked my RAM yet... I'm new to this.
Could anyone help me with this?

This is the RAM I have purchased and installed:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-036-AR

Have you stress tested your system, with either Aida64, Prime95 or OCCT for a couple of hours while checking the temperatures with realtemp or HWMonitor?

If not. Don't go further before doing so.

Have you stress tested your system, with either Aida64, Prime95 or OCCT for a couple of hours while checking the temperatures with realtemp or HWMonitor?

If not. Don't go further before doing so.

I have stress tested with Prime95, and monitored it with HWMonitor.. The Max temp was 86 celcius.. didnt exceed past that..

Don't need to overclock your ram. if you system hasn't crashed/BSOD/rebooted, then you're good. Enjoy your machine. Be sure to set your ram's speed to "XMP" profile in your ram's configuration tab so it'll run it's native 2133.

You set the RAM to XMP in your BIOS. Some people like XMP, some prefer to enter the voltage, speed, and timings manually.
It's not RAM overclocking, its setting your RAM to its proper values.

Back