• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Anyone Help Me w/ Finding Liquid Cooling Materials?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

teetar

Registered
Hello, I'm trying to put together a new computer and I've decided that liquid-cooling is gonna be a feature in said computer. I've got a setup of what I've decided on so far here. I don't actually know all too much about water cooling which is why I've come to this forum for help. I was wondering if you guys might be able to suggest some parts that might fit my build well if I told you what I wanted. Since I'm planing to OC my CPU and GPUs, I'll need blocks on my CPU and my 2 graphics cards (as far as I know). I'm not sure what else needs water-cooling in the case, if anything. I'm going for a blue theme, and let's say that the budget can be anything, but I'd like it to be reasonable for the job it's performing. I'd also really like some sort of double helix tubing in one of my exterior 5.25" bays (I have 3) because, it looks cool (obviously not necessary, just something I figured could be added w/o much issue and would make the entire build look that much awesomer, or more awesome if you will). I tried starting off by looking at some reservoirs and I figured I would then look at a pump, tubing, radiators, etc. but I had trouble just finding what size the openings on the reservoirs I looked at were, either by fault of the websites I looked at being unclear, or by fault of my own inexperience. I want this build to be safe, so I don't mind spending a bit extra on compression fitting over barbs (from what I know so far, I'd prefer it, and I also don't know if I said that properly). In short, I'm hoping you guys can suggest some homebrew water cooling materials that I might be able to use. Also, if you could explain your selections so I can start to understand all this, that would be amazing, but of course don't worry too much about that.

Sorry for such a long post, but if any of you can help me, that'll be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Edit: I'd also love some suggestions for good websites to look for watercooling materials on. Thanks again!

Hi and welcome,

Have read the stickies in the watercooling section?

I see on your list 2 monitors. Do you already have one? Playing on two monitors is not nice, really. You need one, or 3, unless one is used for monitoring browsing.

As you put quite a lot of money in this build, I'd avise you to grab a better motherboard, like the Asrock Extreme 6, and an aftermarket cooler, like the NH-D14 or the Phantek ph-tc14pe.

These 4790k's are begging for an overclock! ;)

RE, the "openings", I'm thinking your talking about the thread sizes, what is called G 1/4 is pretty much standard in computer water cooling so, if it lists no thread sizes you can figure its g 1/4.

the frozen pc website is a good one to shop and performance pc is another.

:welcome: to OCFs.

Have a read at our water cooling stickies to learn about water cooling as stated before. Be patient and take your time in reading up. Ask questions and learn this stuff before you buy anything. That case for example isn't a great piece if you're going to water cool a CPU + 2 GPUs. Not going to get into details why but will explain once you've done your homework so I am not wasting time explaining the basics that are in the stickies. Once you're ready I'll gladly assist you. :salute:

Hi and thanks, Manu!
I'll try to read the stickies as soon as possible, I just thought that after reading 3 they were all gonna be similar guides, but in reflection, that's not nearly enough to know what I need to know. As far as the monitors go, I always wanted more than one monitor, perhaps just one to play games and one to display important system information, but I suppose at this point I'll start considering 3, so thank you for your input on that! I also suppose I don't know too much about motherboards, so I'm gonna have to look at the one you're suggesting. Also on the subject of motherboards, should I look with one that has a watercooling loop built into it for motherboard circuitry, or whatever it is you watercool on a motherboard? Or is it really not necessary? I don't really see the point of water cooling anything other than GPUs and CPU, but I've seen things about water cooling RAM, storage, and the motherboard. Thank you very much for your response!

RE, the "openings", I'm thinking your talking about the thread sizes
Thanks Caddi!
I do believe that's what I was going for, so that about demonstrates my current understanding of the subject.
Also, thanks for the website suggestion, I'll check it out!

Once you're ready I'll gladly assist you. :salute:
Thank you very much Jack!
I didn't know about the case, so I guess I'll be looking at different cases. And I also suppose I need to do much more work on learning about this subject, so I'll be reading up on it! And thank you for your offer to assist me! I might just have to take you up on that, I just hope I don't annoy you with too many questions if I do :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure you want to watercool?

The 970's run cold enough, even with heavy bios volt mod, and don't need water.

If I were you, I'd check first how far your 4790k goes before you reach the voltage wall (1.35/1.37v). If you're below 4.8GHz with reasonable temps, no need of water either.

Back