• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st time OCing. need hand held >.> (FX8350 on Sabertooth 990fx r2)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kazlehoff

Registered
Hey. First time overclocking. when i built my computer a year ago, i designed it with the thought of "im going to overclock this SOB" in the back of my head. now that im finally getting around to it, im finding im a LOT more nervous about it than i think i should be (yes, its dangerous to your hardware. and i was swapping ram and stuff at 10 years old... but now that im 30 all this new tech is... i dont want to say beyond me, but i do feel like a noobie again.)

I've read (skimmed. when i try to get right into those threads my head hurts and i get a bit lost. i know what CPU Multiplyer is, and that HT Link is FSB, and Voltage and ram timing, but puting those concepts togeather? madness. im really hoping someone can essentially hand-hold me through my first couple modifications.

So heres my Stats:
FX-8350
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler. only one fan (the default one) installed on it.
Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
Patriot DDR3x1600 2x4gb (installed in slots 2 and 4)
Anatec HCG-520m PSW
Bitfenix Shinobi Window case
(Total system draw calculated at 429w on PcPartpicker)

For Fans, i have one in the front drawing in, one on the side, blowing in on the GPU, one on the top, blowing out and one on the back, also blowing out.

(In case anywants to see the full listing of parts, my PcPartpicker Build link. with pictures! :D)

Now, I've seen from other threads that folks like to see a screenshot of your system under full load with prime95 showing CPU-Z's CPU and Memory sections, and HWMonitors Temps section. so, heres that. i've also included the temps section of the Asus AISuite to show the Vcore temps and such

10 Min Load:
cGIJqpq.png

20 Min Load:
uZ8nb9y.png

Case Layout Diagram:
lC9Qkvb.jpg

Attachments

• cGIJqpq.png
    cGIJqpq.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 255
  • uZ8nb9y.png
    uZ8nb9y.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 251
  • lC9Qkvb.jpg
    lC9Qkvb.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Sure.

does it need to be under load or are you just looking for the rams Timings?

if its just the timings:
oJb9XkD.png

actually really good timing on your reply, was about to hit the sack for my 6 hour visit to the land of nod. will check back in afterward. :)

Yes I just wanted to see that the timings were set up OK. When you wake up have a read of the link I posted over your morning coffee. It'll get you prepped for the journey. This thread should also be in the AMD CPU section by then.

More for when you get back from the Land of Nod...

...just filling in a few more of the blank spots that I believe I see.

Clarity is key when trying to help from many miles away and not at your keyboard and monitor.

Bitfenix Shinobi Window case << keying that into g00gle gets a $150.00 plus case and also an $85.00 case. One seems Mid-Tower and the other Full-Tower. Which do you have?

You write that you have an FX-8350 in your first post but the monitoring software indicates that you have an FX-8320. Which do you actually have in use?

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO which stand up and away from the motherboard can often have its' ability to cool, compromised by fans blowing in from the 'side'.

My posting about using a C-Type or lay-down air cooler for 4.6Ghz with FX-8350.
<< this post also has bios captures wihtin some of the spoilers. From CHV mobo but the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and the CHV are pretty dang close to each other. Bios captures are about as good as any hand-holding can get from afar. I think I may have put Bios captures of 4.0Ghz and 4.3Ghz at least in that post. So adjusting multiplier will be the easiest way to adjust your cpu speeds. My voltages are likely neither too high nOr too low for a reasonable speed of equal too or less than 4.5Ghz.

This does not have the link to major posting about my Exercise in Futility setup but it does have my thoughts on fan flowing from side of case into the cpu air cooler.

What is shown as temp and speeds right now are only at 3.5Ghz on what I presume is an FX-8320, but seem okay at that slower speed. The real test will come when you actually overclock with ALL 8 cores enabled and at plus 4.3Ghz.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point. Many times adding other monitoring images like AiSuite, can just muddy the waters. High CPU temps will tell most of us that the Vcore 1 & 2 from AiSuite will be high if the CPU temp in HWMonitor is high. One follows the other.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

RGone...ster.

Well theres my first mistake... dont post at 2:30 am. You're correct, the CPU is an 8320, not an 8350. Hurr Durr. I type the Not-Letters gud. :D

Read the opening post of that link. ready to proceed! :D

Well If you've read the link I posted you should be ready. Disable all the power saving stuff. C1E, C6, EPU, C&Q, Turbo and APM then enable HPC and set Windows to performance mode.
From there go to bios and make sure all your fans are maxed out for as much airflow as possible. Set you multi to 18 and a manual voltage of 1.35 I think is a good place to start. Should be OK for the cooler any way. Test for 20 minutes with P95, monitor temps with HWMonitor and if it passes raise the multi and test again. At some point you will crash or lose workers. SO as long as your temps are in line 70 for CPU and 62 for package then add more voltage until it passes.

Ok. Time to sound Stupid. Yet again. :(

Windows preformance manager. Set to preformance mode. Are we talking the Power Setting, or the Visual Settings? i have both set to preformance currently just in case.

Will Edit more in on this post in a moment, rebooting to change C states and such in the Bios.

Edit 1: svm. Leave enabled, or disable?

For cpu voltage I have manual mode and offset mode. Seeing manual voltage of 1.35.

However my auto set cpu voltage shows at 1.392.

Will re edit once I'm back in windows.

Back in windows, 3.61ghz clock currently, 39c (haven't loaded yet.) will edit again once that's complete.)

Edit2: 10 min load:
KrXwM3T.png

Ok no Variance on 20 min. rebooting and increasing Multi by 1.

Testing at 3.8 ghz.

Testing at 3.8ghz complete, no Worker stops, Package temp 50C, CPU temp 58C.

Testing at 4.0Ghz. Complete. No worker stops, Temps still below 70c cpu and 62 package.

Testing at 4.2Ghz. Passed, CPU 64c Package 54c. going to try an additional half step in multi.

Last edited:
Ya it's under power management and then hit more plans or similar the drop down arrow. Don't worry about SVM and yes I had you set the voltage lower than stock. Looks like you're making headway that's great.

ok. and yes, though i think im reaching the end of my rope on the Multiplier overclock at 4.3 ghz. im testing that now.

Also in regards to RGones question Earlier, mines the Mid Tower. and i'll be more careful with my screenshots.

If im still getting passes for my workers at 4.3 on the first suggested voltage, should i next try stepping the voltage back further to see if that will lower the tempatures? i mean if everything is still stable, and i can get by with a lower voltage, perhaps i can get another bit out of multiplier overclocking.

Oop i may have spoken too soon! Worker 8 just failed! re-running to verify.

Edit: Yup! another worker just failed.

Temps and Voltages for 4.3ghz at time of failure:
HWMON.JPG
cpuz.JPG

rebooting to return to 4.2ghz

Last edited:
Why did you fail 4.3? Your temps looked fine still. Yes it's getting warm but you still have 10c on the core. If you need a bit of voltage to get stable you can

Well that's variable. But I usually go a couple of bumps on the "+" key in the bios. Some times it's enough sometimes it's not??

i'll give her a quick shot, be right back.

That extra .01v was what did it. now running stable at 4.3 Ghz

CPU Temp 61c, Package temp 55c

Stepping up another half multiplier.

Last edited:
on 4.4Ghz at 1.36v caused 2 workers to fail after about 15 seconds. now re-attempting at 1.37v.

The Amount of Tension im experiencing doing this makes me feel like im joining Freemasonry or something haha

i'll need to head out in a bit to do some final errands before my move tomorrow. is it safe to leave my system running prime95 for an hour? or could that cause serious issues to the CPU? im not talking about testing my current highest attempted OC that way, but as an example could i kick it back a step and test that for an hour safely?

4.4 fails at 1.37, trying again at 1.38

Kazlehoof this made me laugh
Hurr Durr. I type the Not-Letters gud.
thanks.

Looks like these guys have you on track, just remember, have patience don't try to reach for the sky on one attempt. What you're doing is correct, raise the multiplier .5 and test add voltage accordingly. A suggestion is take notes of what you're doing, it will help if you get lost. This is a PDF from AMD on Performance tuning the AMD Fx processor, it's a good read.

1.38 seems like a lot for 4.4 IMHO. I run 4.6 at 1.34 on my 8350. How are temps looking at 1.38?
Evey chip is different Bamato and yours is on water, no?

1.38 seems like a lot for 4.4 IMHO. I run 4.6 at 1.34 on my 8350. How are temps looking at 1.38?

i screwed up initially. its a 8320, not an 8350.

im testing at 1.387 now, temps are CPU 64, Package 58. might be reaching the end of my run here at 4.4ghz, if i can even make 4.4 stable.

Evey chip is different Bamato and yours is on water, no?

If his is water, im envious :p

Thought about going out for a new cooler today (im on a Hyper 212 EVO) but considering im moving TOMORROW.... just no time. maybe after my move. theres a Canada Computers (my preferred retailer) near my new place anyways.

Alas the H100i wont fit in my system either D:

Working off the Assumptions of a Bitfenix Shinobi case (the mid, not the full) and a Sabertooth 990fxR2, what would people suggest for a solid cooler to continue my adventures? im kind of Particular to a Closed loop Water CPU cooler like the H90. it gets rid of this monstrosoty.

5cuQXP6.png

I can push on the window of my case and tap the CPU cooler with the side of case. so clunky looking.

Prime's been running a min at 4.4ghz, 1.387v on the core. Temps have reached 66c on the core and 61 on the package. unless anyones got more OVerclocking mojo to share, i might be tapped out on my current cooler.

TBH if i am thats fine. i still managed to snake almost an extra Ghz out of the processor. pretty pleasing stuff! :)

Final after 20 min CPU max 67, Package 63.

Last edited:
Back