• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-5960X mild overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I brought cheap DDR4-2133 CL15 modules and overclocked them to 2666 at just CL14, certainly pretty happy with that. I have tried going faster/slow, but I feel that 2666 is about the sweet spot and my CL is low enough.

Regardless of IC, there is low chance to set something like 2133 CL10. Most BIOSes won't let for such setting. Depends from IC you can count on 2133 CL11/12 and 2666 CL12/13/14 at reasonable voltages. Simply max memory bandwidth is limited by cache clock and memory clock so 2666 CL14/15 will be still faster than any lower clock at tighter timings. Lower clock at tighter timings will have lower access time but because of large and fast CPU cache, it doesn't really matter in most programs.

I found 4.4 Ghz to be my top stable clock. 4.5 can run but I have to up the voltage too high. I just used the preset in Asus Suite III for performance at 4.4 Ghz and it set the parameters. Has the ram running at 2400, it's DDR4-2800.

I found 4.4 Ghz to be my top stable clock. 4.5 can run but I have to up the voltage too high. I just used the preset in Asus Suite III for performance at 4.4 Ghz and it set the parameters. Has the ram running at 2400, it's DDR4-2800.

I have super stable 4.5Ghz clock on 1,24V!!
Cache is 3,4Ghz on V. offset 70mV

When I say stable I mean hours of rendering in Vray engine (3ds max 2013) - CPU is under 100% load all the time for 1-3 hours. Cooling is Corsair H100i, but with Noctua NF-F12 PWM-3000 industrialPPC fans. (stock fans are too loud...)

Temperatures on 100% load are between 62 and 70C° - Never go above 70C°!
This is a fantastic clock on a quite small voltage! I did not try to go further because I want stability for rendering... (but I will make test)

This is my Intel ET Utility profile, you can test it and see results...

View attachment i7-5960X_4.5Ghz.zip

I had been running at 4.4Ghz and all was fine but I had the vcore at 1.32 manual to pas ROG RealBench. Some cores were running 70-71 C Max, not terrible but I decided to Install Asus Suite III and have it set all the parameters for a steady 4Ghz OC. Guess what I Like it, especially the vcore.

I used the Aida64 Extreme stability test read out and ran ROG RealBench Stress test the 15 min period All passed and max vcore dropped from 1.34 at 4.4Ghz to 1.232 for 4Ghz. Max core temps never exceeded 59C with most in the mid 50s. My ram, Corsair Vengence DDR-2800 was set to DDR4-2400 and was rock solid.

I ran a ton of benchmarks and though the scores are lower at 4Ghz than 4.4 Ghz the lower core temps and vcore are well worth it. I can always run higher if need be.

Frankly I was really impressed with the new Asus tuning in the Suite 3. Just pick 4 Ghz, 4.2Ghz or 4.4Ghz and let it do the rest.

Hi guys,
I asked my boss (who has not a deep knowledge in computer hardware) to buy for the office I work in:
- a Sabertooth X99 motherboard,
- an Intel I7 5960x CPU,
- 64 GB Vengeance LPX 2400 MHz DDR4 Memory,
- a Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler,
- a Corsair AX850,
- a Nvidia Quadro K4000.
He said ok and now I have the PC built.

Now, since we have not the McDonnell Douglas budget, I would like to obtain the best from the hardware we bought, that's why I was thinking about overclocking it.
I work in a small CFD consulting company, and our CFD codes get a great advantage of the high frequencies memory DDR4 can offer.
I'm not an oc expert and I can't use my working day at the office trying different overclocking settings (they would fire me) that's why I have a desparate need someone give me the settings for a stable daily overclocking with which I could reach 4200 MHz in CPU frequency and, AT LEAST, 2400 MHz in memory frequency.

Please, please... I know that it sounds rude to ask something like "give me your oc profiles", because it's something that requires a lot of time and efforts, but, really I can not practice the art of overclocking at work. And I would like my boss to see that all this very expensive hardware can definitely speed up our simulations!

For all those who can help me out, thanks, thanks a lot.

I have super stable 4.5Ghz clock on 1,24V!!
Cache is 3,4Ghz on V. offset 70mV

When I say stable I mean hours of rendering in Vray engine (3ds max 2013) - CPU is under 100% load all the time for 1-3 hours. Cooling is Corsair H100i, but with Noctua NF-F12 PWM-3000 industrialPPC fans. (stock fans are too loud...)

Temperatures on 100% load are between 62 and 70C° - Never go above 70C°!
This is a fantastic clock on a quite small voltage! I did not try to go further because I want stability for rendering... (but I will make test)

This is my Intel ET Utility profile, you can test it and see results...

View attachment 161646
Beyond freaking lucky man.
I can't get stable past 4.0Ghz without going up to 1.3v and my temps going up/over 80C

At 4.0ghz I need to keep the voltage to 1.19 - 1.2 to have it run stable for gaming/rendering vray. If I got past 1.2v and 4.0ghz I'll start running into temps above 80C

Im kinda regretting not going for a water cooling system. I got a Noctua NH-D14 and I'm happy with it. But it seems like 5960x runs extremely hot.

That or if you prefer what I call a 'true' AIO, the Coolermaster Seidon is solid, Tt Bigwater 3.0. THe NZXT Kraken units...

Not many people have a lot of faith in the Corsair AIOs... :-/

Coolermaster Nepton is worth looking into as well. I have it, and i am happy with it.

Darnit! The Nepton is the one I ALWAYS forget and, IIRC, is the better performer than most listed.

Let me know how you go with that 5960x mate. as i have the older 3960X and im curious to what the new babies can clock to:)

Let me know how you go with that 5960x mate. as i have the older 3960X and im curious to what the new babies can clock to:)

Most of the 5960x's I see on AIOs or custom water are in the 4.3 to 4.6 Ghz range OC'd. I run Asus Realbench to assure stability and 4.4 Ghz (44x100) is the sweet spot for me at 1.33 vcore. Keep in mind that the base clock is 3 Ghz so that's quite a jump.

Most of the 5960x's I see on AIOs or custom water are in the 4.3 to 4.6 Ghz range OC'd. I run Asus Realbench to assure stability and 4.4 Ghz (44x100) is the sweet spot for me at 1.33 vcore. Keep in mind that the base clock is 3 Ghz so that's quite a jump.

See... I would try for 4.5 and up the voltage. But at 1.25v alone the Temps at 100% load will go up and above 80celcius.

I thought after 1.3v it starts killing cpu life span? And it being a 1000 USD cpu I plan on keeping this cpu for at least 5-10 years.

You won't get much more than 5 years out of it. I couldn't imagine using an Athlone 64 x2 2800+ for anything outside of a file server or Web machine.

Just in case anyone is interested in an OC for beginners using only Air Cooling.. - I use a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO to cool the CPU. I have a GIGABYTE x99 SOC Force Motherboard and G Skill Ripjaw 4 DDR4 RAM modules - and of course, an Intel 5960x CPU.

Firstly I always make a start in the motherboard's BIOS, by loading the 'optimised default settings' first by hitting F7, then once that is done, you can then start reliably overclocking..

I found the newest Gigabyte x99 SOC Force F7c BETA Motherboard BIOS to be a bit tempermental with regards to actually executing even the correct OC settings - if you even enter into any other of the available settings like selecting Gigabytes own pre-made CPU overclock profiles, the OC seemed to fail - but then the BIOS is only in BETA stage of development so I wonder if they will eventually sort this out?
I have also experienced, and read on other forums, that selecting the X.M.P. profile on the DDR4 RAM, seems to make any attempt at an OC fail.. So I just entered 24 for the RAM multiplier giving 2400MHz..

Here are the 5960x OC settings I used..

I managed a stable overclock of 4.2GHz using 1.120v on the CPU V-Core just and ONLY by entering 1.120v on the CPU V-Core tab, then ONLY on the CPU Frequencies tab, enter 40 on the CPU Clock Cycles, to get 4GHZ at idle, then under the Advanced Frequencies tab, I changed the CPU Turbo settings to 42 to get 4.2GHz under max CPU load. Temps maxed out at between 76-86c on different days with different ambient temps. After a couple of hours of maximum CPU load in the VidCoder x.264 program - No CPU throttling occurred at all with these OC settings! CPU Throttling seemed to happen on my 5960x CPU at 89c using different settings - this can easily be tested or seen happening yourself, using the freeware CPUID CPU-Z or CPUID HWMonitor monitoring programs.. If you experience CPU frequency throttling you should back off the voltage on the CPU V-Core as this is what causes heat and then CPU throttling to occur - otherwise you may eventually permanently damage the 5960x CPU..

Hope that helps anyone that is in the same boat I was in - and who's currently tearing their hair out after trying/using Gigabyte's x99 F7c BETA motherboard BIOS.. I did use their stable F6 BIOS but it didn't seem to make any difference in terms of reliable OC execution.

Good luck!

:)

Nice1

UPDATE: I realised after some considerable testing, that ambient temps vary so much on different days, that a stable/safe OC was actually very hard to achieve using air cooling. Considering the weather affects temps by as much as 25 degrees C where I live, I have changed to water cooling my CPU with a Corsair H110i GT - which cost on a 'Black Friday' Deal £70 @ Scan.co.uk. With this water cooler I achieved much more stable OC temp on average, and ones that don't rely on winter weather - I reckon that should a summer heat wave occur, trying to achieve an OC with only air cooling would in all likelyhood become a serious hazard in hardly any time at all with the 5960x - OC Temps seem to really rocket upwards in hotter ambient conditions - and in under 10Mins!! I did eventually get a stable (no throttling) 4.4Ghz under Max load using 1.25v on the CPU V-Core with the Corsair 110i GT cooling things nicely..

Last edited:
Back