• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OS switching on single drive how to question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ephemera

Registered
Is it possible to have different OS alternatively loaded up and active on the same drive?

Do you mean having two OS's in use at the same time or just having the ability to boot to two different OS's?

Do you mean having two OS's in use at the same time or just having the ability to boot to two different OS's?
One at a time I meant selecting at startup between different partitions (I would imagine)

...mmmh allright all that "multiboot" thing I heard about LOL :eek:
Thank you.

Useful tool:

EasyBCD.jpg

Simply CHECKING default Operating System - saves default OS. There is no need to click on Save Settings to change default OS. Download Page: http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1 [Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

Tools > Options >
CHECK: Expert mode
CHECK: Remember the BCD Backup directory upon exit
UNCHECK: Everything else

Display Options TAB:
Default TAB at start up: Edit Boot Menu
CHECK: Everything else

...mmmh allright all that "multiboot" thing I heard about LOL :eek:
Thank you.
Having more than one OS on one drive for the same computer is common for a lot of people but not everybody. I use one drive that has two OSes for two separate computers. Kind of a pain and risky but I don't have enough drives.

Multi OS is new to me. I got a new PC and migrated to SSD. I like the idea of having multiple OS environments (work, play, experimenting). Switching between drives via BIOS and physically switching SATA connections seems straightforward. Also moving about partition images.

Multiboot would add a degree of versatility and make better use of drives. Then there's virtualization possibly. Both seem to be more intricate.

(Thank you for the EasyBCD suggestion)

You're welcome. You install Windows on a relatively small partition. Then you image one from the other. Reboot from one into the other if anything ever goes wrong, so you can fix it when you have time. So many advantages.

As you know I have a quadruple boot, The other day I rebooted into Vista and tested an old version of WordPerfect to confirm a bug I discovered affected the last two versions of the program but not an old version I had installed at the time Windows Vista was out. I took me two minutes to do that.

Back