• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing 8.1 without key during install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

medo145

I bought a digital copy of 8.1 pro to play around with on my laptop. I created a usb thumb drive installation after the download. Since I don't have a physical box with the key inside and for convenience, I was wondering if it is possible to install the OS without the key during install and then just paste it in afterwards from the key.

I've found these instructions on how to install 8.1 with a 8 key. Does that file basically just skip the key prompt, and does it affect using a 8.1 key post install?

I'm not sure how that works, I have never tried that method, although I have see it mentioned before. I use a generic key for my install, and activate with my upgrade key, once I am satisfied with my install. Once you have you drivers, and updates installed, you can image your disc, so you don't have to do a full install again.

Those directions still require you to enter a key, its just putting it off until you get further along in the install and Windows 8.1 will authenticate a Windows 8.0 key.

It's how people like me with legit Windows 8 keys can do fresh installs of 8.1, instead of the stupid hoops Microsoft wants you to jump through to upgrade through the store.

How much further along is it, after the OS is installed? I have a legit 8.1 key, I would just like to be able to copy and paste it from the usb drive after the os is installed. As I recall, win7 gives you the option but does not require you to enter a key during install.

Windows 8.1 cannot be initially installed using your official retail Windows 8 key.

Use the following Microsoft-provided key
GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9
to initially install Windows 8.1 Professional.

After completing Windows 8.1 installation, change the Microsoft-provided installation key to your own Windows 8 key.

Right click on This PC > Change Product Key
or
Windows 8.1 Control Panel > System and Security > System > Change Product Key

Do so from DOS Command Prompt using command:
slui 3

or

Method 1:
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
In the search box, type Slui.exe 0x3
Tap or click the Slui.exe 0x3 icon
Type your product key in the Windows Activation window, and then click on Activate.

Method 2:
Run the following command at an elevated command prompt:
Cscript.exe %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk 1-2-3

(where 1-2-3 is your product key)

My key is a 8.1 key, not 8. I want to be able to install the os without having to enter the key during install. This is why I want to know if the method for 8 has any impact on using a 8.1 key.

There is no Windows 8 trial mode without Product key.
If the method posted above to first enter Microsoft-provided key then switch to your own key does not work - we are unfortunately back to square 1: There is no Windows 8 trial mode without Product key.

Did you try using GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9 just to enter non-activated mode?

I'm just looking for a possible way of installing without having to enter any type of key at all during install. If I have to enter a key, it might as well be my key. I wanted to have a usb drive like I do for win7, install the OS and then copy the key from the drive itself.

He's looking for a way to copy paste the key after install if I understand right. In 7 you could just leave it blank and add a key later. But you could also use the os for up to a year with a registry tweak and a 5 second command every 3 months. Which is probably why they removed the ability to install 8 without a key. As far as I know you can't get to the desktop without manually typing in a key.

That is correct, you cannot enter trial mode of Windows 8 without any key. It's not like Windows 7, correct.

But you can enter that key I posted (which will not activate your Windows 8, just get you in unactivated), and then you can change that key to a real key later if you need to activate, as I posted above.

That is correct, you cannot enter trial mode of Windows 8 without any key. It's not like Windows 7, correct.

But you can enter that key I posted (which will not activate your Windows 8, just get you in unactivated), and then you can change that key to a real key later if you need to activate, as I posted above.

For crystal clarity >> you will put some kind of key in during the install of Win 8 / 8.1. You will not bypass entering a key of some kind during the windows installation process.
RGone...

I never looked at this before but what are you saying, are you saying that it is possible to enter non-activated trial mode without entering a key, any key?
It was my understanding that you could not. You can be on a physically cut off from the internet machine, that doesn't matter, and you don't have to activate, but a key was always required for Windows 8 pre-activation install.

You can enter "trial mode" by entering the 90 day evaluation key into an unattend.xml file and stick it on the root of a usb key. When installing from DVD media it looks for that file and automatically inputs product key, customizes windows, installs programs, etc.
You can also create unattended bootable usb/DVD installation media by using NTLite or WinToolkit to make the process pretty simple.

Yea, you're talking about a wider point of automating the process.
He was asking if you can do this *without* key. And the answer is still you can't.
You have to enter it, either manually or through an automated process.

So far every version that I was trying ( including MOLP/group licenses ) needed the key to install. Later you can run it without activation the same as Win7 but key is required to install Win8/8.1.

I wish to find a way to install it without the key as I'm often reinstalling systems for tests and sometimes Windows is trying to automatically activate ( even if you mark not to activate it ) and then signs to the hardware what makes problems in the future with activation on other motherboard.
Older MOLP/MAPS licenses could be activated without limits on many computers but new are limited almost like OEM/BOX.

Alright so to install using no key at all you need to extract the contents of an ISO (or whatever installation media you have) using 7zip or equivalent to a folder first and foremost. **You can also use an ISO editing software such as WinISO to add or replace files in an ISO, then save and recreate the ISO (this is what I do).
Open notepad and type the following
Code:
[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]
Save this file as ei.cfg and place in the sources folder of the extracted ISO. Place files on bootable usb or recreate ISO using WinISO and burn to DVD.
Note: You can exclude the EditionID and you will be able to select the version upon installation.
EditionID options are Core, Professional, and Enterprise.
Channel options are Retail and OEM.
VL options: 1, if this is a volume license, or 0, if this is not a volume license.

Upon installation, you should now have a 'skip' option on the product id entry screen.

Last edited:
Those are the instructions I linked in my original post, but in the 3rd post supertrucker said that it still requires a key during the installation process. I'll try it this weekend and report back.

Please do. The next questions would be how long the trial is and if there is re-arming like there was on Windows 7 for 120 days.

Back