• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How will Windows react?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
How will Windows react? (SYSPREP)

Hey guys,

I was asked to find out how to get more ram for our 3D drawings pc at my work.

Since its running on DDR2, i am simply going suggest upgrading to X99 instead, since its only double the price for a full X99 setup (CPU,ram,mb,psu,cooler) compared to 16gb DDR2 ram.

The pc is running Windows 7 64bit Pro.

I just want to know, how windows will react with a heavy upgrade from Core2Quad Q9550 to 5820K. From what I know, it should boot up fine, as long as HDD is setup correct in bios, and then need new drivers, but apart from that run threw the upgrade pretty smooth?

Am i right or will i encounter bigger problems?

Last edited:
I recently did (almost) the same thing , upgrading my mobo socket/chipset , CPU , and memory to current standards . My Win7 x64 was even ghosted to a new HDD. The only things I didn't change were my case and Windows installation. All I had to do was call the number provided by the OS and confirm it was the "same" computer. Zero problems. Booted the first try and faster than ever.

I would highly suggest re-installing Windows. While it's possible to get by without doing it, you'll likely run into problems that will be much more trouble than they're worth.

Also, might as well get an SSD while you're at it.

I would highly suggest re-installing Windows. While it's possible to get by without doing it, you'll likely run into problems that will be much more trouble than they're worth.

Also, might as well get an SSD while you're at it.

Not an option, to both points.

If you intend to transfer a Windows image to a different computer, you must run sysprep /generalize, even if the computer has the same hardware configuration. The sysprep /generalize command removes unique information from your Windows installation, which enables you to reuse that image on different computers. The next time you boot the Windows image, the specialize configuration pass runs. During this configuration pass, many components have actions that must be processed when you boot a Windows image on a new computer. Any method of moving a Windows image to a new computer, either through imaging, hard disk duplication, or other method, must be prepared with the sysprep /generalize command. Moving or copying a Windows image to a different computer without running sysprep /generalize is not supported.

Maybe i am misunderstanding sysprep, but im not changing the HDD.

But if i run sysprep (which i still cant figure if its built into windows or not) then rip the rig apart, then install new hardware, boot up, then it'll still have all the Domain settings, all the changed system files, that are altered to suit the software running (which includes windows system files)

It'll only remove drivers?

I've never used Sysprep, and have done major hardware changes twice on the same Windows 7 install. Neither time were there any issues (including the latest which didn't even ask to reactivate) other then "ghost" hardware/devices that are easily cleaned out.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

This works on Windows 7 just fine, and you manually go through the Device Manager to remove the hardware/devices not actually in the new system.

Aside from Sysprep, you can take the chance and just drop that HDD in the new machine and see what is shaking. It works most times, but not all, and I wouldn't consider it 'clean' either...

I've never used Sysprep, and have done major hardware changes twice on the same Windows 7 install. Neither time were there any issues (including the latest which didn't even ask to reactivate) other then "ghost" hardware/devices that are easily cleaned out.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

This works on Windows 7 just fine, and you manually go through the Device Manager to remove the hardware/devices not actually in the new system.

Do you remove drivers before or after hardware change?

Do you remove drivers before or after hardware change?
You can do it either way, but I would suggest you remove add-in card drivers in device manager before the swap. Add-in cards will be re-detected on the new mobo as a different card because of PCI ID's or something along those lines. For most add-in cards, Windows will simply reuse the same drivers to re-install the card, though for some add-in cards (like sound cards) it won't setup properly, and the drivers would need to be uninstalled and re-installed. The previous installations of the add-in cards would be what becomes a "ghost device" if it wasn't removed prior to the swap.

Btw, both my hardware changes were basically the same as you, being full mobo swaps, from a Core2Duo, to a i7 1366, to my current i7 1150.

[EDIT] I should also say, that in all cases, the Bios settings for the hard drive was the same! All 3 mobos were setup for AHCI mode. If your current Bios is set not set to AHCI, and the new mobo will be in AHCI, you'll need to enable AHCI in Windows 7 before you do the swap. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html [/EDIT]

Last edited:
I did use Acronis to move my OS to the new HDD , which may have handled a host of details I'm ignorant of , but I had zero issues with my upgrades other than reactivating by phone. I booted from the original HDD . then moved it to the new one. I don't doubt the potential for problems . I just didn't have any.

Back