• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone ever kill a chip by trying to unlock it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
So I bought a Sempron 145, tested it out and it ran fine on 1 core. I wanted to see if it would unlock on my Sabertooth 990fx. Unlocked the cores and it posted but then BSOD. So I tried shutting off the 2nd core and it still did the same thing. Then I raised the voltage to 1.4 Cpu v and it wouldn't post. I tried clearing the CMOS and still no post, fans spin but that's it. I took the chip out and put in another working chip and it posts fine. Put it the Sempy back in and no post. So is it possible I killed it by un locking it or with 1.4 Cpu V? I know this is a rhetorical question because it looks like the chip is dead but it's not like I was pushing it hard at 1.4 V?!

Ruh Roh, good thing they're cheap. It does sound awful strange unless the locked core damaged the Cache or IMC in some way.

The same thing happened with my 140 but when I went back to one core and cleared the cmos it started working again.

First time for everything. I just bought a Phenom II x2 B59 off ebay that the seller claims will unlock to a stable quad. Got it for $45. I hope it doesn't meet the same fate as your Sempron Manny.

Was there no smoke or fire?

I tried unlocking my Sempy 145 for this months Overclocktagon but it refused to post. Reset CMos and disabled the 2nd core and all is back to normal.

It's weird, at first I though maybe I borked the BIOS but it boots fine with another chip.

Just as I said it worked fine at default ran a couple of benches just to make sure it was working when I received it. Then went and un locked it and it wouldn't boot or it would BSOD so first I tried disabling the 2nd core and leaving it un locked, still the same. Then I figured add a little voltage to see with both cores running and it wouldn't post. It's not like I gave it the beans, 1.4 Cpu V and everything else at default. Then I cleared the CMOS, nothing, cleared the CMOS and removed the battery, nothing. No fireworks either Trents it just will not post to the BIOS now. Good thing it's a $10.00 purchase I guess. :shrug:

Last edited:
Ten bucks! I can't find those for less than $18. What's your source?

Sell it on ebay for "As is, parts only."

Well that's a bummer Manny :cry: Another poor piece of silicon lost to the efforts of a mad man. :rofl:

Ten bucks! I can't find those for less than $18. What's your source?

Sell it on ebay for "As is, parts only."
Ebay Trents, I paid $3.70 + 6.xx shipping :D

Well that's a bummer Manny Another poor piece of silicon lost to the efforts of a mad man.
I wish that were the case Johan, I would have liked it better if I was really turning the screws and the magic smoked leaked out in a spectacular fashion. That's kind of what I wanted it for, beat it till it dies, though I didn't get a chance to beat it. :(

I bet you're stalking you next victim as we speak . :muahaha:

Manny that sux. I at least want to see some fireworks when I kill shett!

Another CPU quietly passes in the night. RIP little guy.

So thats where that camera came from I noticed while benching in the cold out at the benchshack last winter.....:shock:

Back