• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need input on z97 boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manu2b

Hi guys,

I need your input on the following boards. I killed the z97 in sig, and need a new mobo asap.

Fitting in my budget are the msi z97 gaming5 and the Gigabyte z97 gaming5.

My cpu is capable of 4.8GHz/1.32v and 4.9GHz/1.39v stable.

For which one of those would you go, and why.

Asus is totally out of the picture as their CS sucks even more than Traci Lords...

How did you kill the board?

Either board would be fine for your needs. Sorry, I know that doesn't help much, but they will be fine hardware wise, its up to you features, looks, and cost between them.

If you want to oc some more then get Z97X-SOC Force. I like it the most and I also had ASUS M7G and ASRock Z97M OCF. I'm not touching gaming boards, especially MSI so can't say much about them but from these 2 I would pick Gigabyte.
I guess I wasn't much helpful ;)

How did you kill the board?

Either board would be fine for your needs. Sorry, I know that doesn't help much, but they will be fine hardware wise, its up to you features, looks, and cost between them.

No idea: I put quite a lot of volts in the 7970 running some 3dmark03 (1.4v). The display started going all weird, then black, and I could not get the board to start afterwards. Gpu is apso dead.

I don't think it's the cpu, as not even the fans start.

@Woomack. I like GB as well...

@Woomack, z97x oc force not available on the online shop i use. And over budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally budget a bit extended, I'll go for an extreme4.

do the fans even spinup?
when i killed my other 1150 cpu's that was the sign, psu power up and shutdown.
when i killed the boards, lights, fans, drbebug lit up and that was all that would happen.

Nope, no fans.

And nothing when I turn on the PSU... Zero. Like the juice doesn't reach the board.

I tried the board without a cpu as well. Nothing happens.

Did you try testing the PSU by jumping it on manually then checking it with a multimeter?

Never heard of a "HiperM 1000W"... Thinking it died then took the (or part of the) system with it.

Nope, the psu's fine.

Tested and running.

Not the best brand, but Johnny guru gave an average review.

Annd well, it pulls maybe 700w max, so never overloaded.

It really looks like the current doesn't feed the mobo.

Edit:

The psu's (I tried 2) fan was not even spinning when I tried to power the system.

Last edited:
Back