• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New(ish) build freezing under stress/startup sometimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I set my multiplier to 20, and CPU is at 4GHz. Am currently running P95 and I've made it to past the ninth test(640k, 8k, 720k, 12k, 800k, 20k, 896k, 28k, 1024k), which is further than ever before. But I had to stop there for now. I'm guessing this is where the problem is. Does this mean I have a faulty CPU?

CPU_post_pass7.PNG monitor_post_pass7.PNG

Last edited:
I would go set the CPU to 23.5X now and 1.48V

Also, if you go in DIGI+ Power Control, what's your LLC set to?

Your socket temp is also edging up toward too high, gonna need a fan on the VRM/socket area.

set the CPU to 23.5 with 1.48. Froze within a few seconds. Socket was at 76C Core, 73C. Is it overheating? I'll get back to you on the LLC.

Edit: LLC, both CPU and CPU/NB is auto.

Vcore is too low for that speed. These are high leakage chips. It's gonna take more voltage to make it go. The bad part is.....high leakage = high heat, and you're already capped out. So adding voltage is not an option for you using your current cooling solution.

Yep, too hot, you're just not going to get there with your cooling.

Try 22.5x with 1.45V. Keep an eye on the temps again.

Sounds like I need better cooling. Or more at least. Any suggestions? I have one fan as exhaust, and 4 in. Two on the top are into my heatsink for my CPU. And one for my power, of course.

I'll be away from the computer in question from now until tomorrow evening, but will still listen to ideas for improvements.

I tried 22.5x and 1.45V because I was still around. Socket got to 82C and Core, 67C before I canceled the test. Will look into better cooling. Advice is welcome.

See my suggestions earlier in the thread for flipping the fans...

Unless the CPU was zapped by a high voltage surge, it's not defective because CPUs are tested very strictly and should work 100% reliably unless overclocked. OTOH memory modules aren't tested strictly at all, so try running at the actual rated speed of their chips, which is probably JEDEC profile #4, 1333 MHz, 9-9-9-24.

One person couldn't find errors with MemTest86/86+, but Gold Memory consistently reported a bad bit. It took about 76 minutes to find it the first time, but then another 9 hours passed before it was reported again.

I moved fans around a bit and it's keeping the CPU about 15-20 degrees cooler. Whether or not that was the problem, I guess that's a good thing at least. I have taken one stick of RAM out and ran memtest86 and after one pass, it had no errors. I decided to start up the system and see if P95 would crash it again (since it's a bit faster than memtest) and it hasn't yet, but it's only been going for 15 minutes. But so far, it's running better. So it may be the other stick.

Staying at 57C for the most part. briefly went to 64, but came down almost instantly. This is at 4.7GHz.

It's also passed the first three tests on P95 with one stick of memory.

Froze after 38 minutes and 3 passes of P95. temp started to climb and it froze at 65C - socket, and 50C - core which seems low enough that it shouldn't be freezing due to that.

Trying the other stick of memory.
Edit: froze after 15 min. Temps were even lower. 57C, socket and 45C, core.

Last edited:
Is DIMM the slot? If so, I've tried 1&3, 2&4, and just 1 when there's only one.

Yes, the DIMM is the slot. Try a single stick in a DIMM besides 1.

Just tried slot 3. Lasted 37 min. before it froze. Trying slot 2 now.

Slot 2 also froze after 37 min. Seems to be the trend with this memory card. Trying the other card.

See the trend? Roughly 35-40 minutes before crash, no matter what you try or do? Heat my friend.;)
Your H110 in it's current configuration is becoming heat soaked. You need to get that into some open, free flowing cool air.
The 220w that the 9xxx advertises is under rated.
It has nothing to do with the ram.

Freezing or hard lock with no BSOD is 99% of the time heat or power related.

Last edited:
Back