• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new gaming rig for 700-800$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marketpantry

I don't care about brands, I care about performance.

Is this realistic?

Can someone give me an example build?

I can reuse my ps I think.

I don't care about brands, I care about performance.

Is this realistic?

Can someone give me an example build?

I can reuse my ps I think.

Hey! Marketpantry! Welcome back! Haven't seen any posts from you in a long time. I was worried something had happened to you. Great to see you here again.
Yes you can re-use that power supply for sure.

I can't remember if you are in the US or Canada... so I'm going to do this in US prices. If you're in Canada it might be as much as 10% more expensive. (edit) Holy crap, the 290 is like $200 more in Canada.
If you're in Canada I have to re-do the whole thing.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/9mHp99

$744 before, $672 after rebates. This is what I'd buy in your shoes.
If you can reuse your current case, even better.

Will this link recalculate costs if I hold off until cyber week?
Edit: I will probably reuse windows 7 license from my previous desktop. I hear terrible things about windows 8

I have had a lot going on to say the least.

Yes you can see the prices in real time as they are ("live") on pcpartpicker.
Win 7 is fine but Win 8.1 is better overall, honestly. Just use classic shell. Looks and feels like Win 7. Plus with a win 8.1 license you'll get a free upgrade to a win 10 license when that comes to market.

Even if you don't use classic shell, and I suggest that you do since it makes Win 8 so much friendlier, Win 8.1 is just a better operating system than 7 is. Win 10 is looking even better, running like Win 7 with all the features of Win 8 presented in a less in your face and inconsiderate manner. Win 7 is old. You really shouldn't get it. It won't even support DX12 when it comes out.

Yes you can see the prices in real time as they are ("live") on pcpartpicker.
Win 7 is fine but Win 8.1 is better overall, honestly. Just use classic shell. Looks and feels like Win 7. Plus with a win 8.1 license you'll get a free upgrade to a win 10 license when that comes to market.

Even if you don't use classic shell, and I suggest that you do since it makes Win 8 so much friendlier, Win 8.1 is just a better operating system than 7 is. Win 10 is looking even better, running like Win 7 with all the features of Win 8 presented in a less in your face and inconsiderate manner. Win 7 is old. You really shouldn't get it. It won't even support DX12 when it comes out.

Will the rig you mentioned max out gta v PC at 1200p?

Also I've never built a comp with my own hands. Are there places where they will take my parts and build it?

Last edited:
I think it would, if it's not as poorly optimised than gta iv (to say the least...)

Will the rig you mentioned max out gta v PC at 1200p?

Also I've never built a comp with my own hands. Are there places where they will take my parts and build it?

You seem like a pretty smart person, I think you'll be fine. You only have $700. It'd suck to have to pay $50-100 for somebody to put some parts together for you. It's not complicated. All you need is a magnetized screwdriver.

just an update- i bought a plasma tv. the build will have to wait a few weeks.

would you recommend gaming on it? its 600 refresh rate and 1080p

Of course...

Also, while a magnetized screwdriver is helpful its not needed. My main tools for working on the PC are not magnetized.

Just so you know, Marketpantry, your TV is not true 600Hz. It will only take a 60Hz signal. It then flashes each frame on the screen 10 times. No interpolation (Plasmas don't do that). It's essentially 60Hz in and 60Hz out in terms of "true frames". However, Plasma has great response time and good color range so you should have a good time gaming on it.

Back