• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In need of a better solution for my CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

themonk3106

Registered
I have an ASUS P8P67PRO and an Intel i7 2600k CPU 1155

The mobo runs at 28c and the CPU runs 39c degrees.

I am currently using the original fan/combo which came with the CPU.

I have 3 120mm fans set in a 2 induction on side panel and 1 exhaust config. on rear chassis and 140mm induction on front.

I am looking for a more efficient fan/cooling method. (Water Cooling fightens me. Water/electric doesn't mix. Unless technology has come in leaps and bounds)

Thermal Interface Material. The 'goo' that acts as a contact surface and heat exchanger between the CPUs integrated heat sink and the aftermarket heat sink.

Idle temps doesn't mean anything.

What are your temp on load (20min blend)?

Do you overckock or plan to do so?

If not, no need to upgrade the stock cooler, as soon as your temps on load stay below 90C.

You will not be overclocking much and running blend, that is for sure.

I'm sorry, perhaps its just me, but, what does upgrading your GPU have to do with overclocking your CPU? You basically said "here are my temps on my CPU -> I plan to overclock that CPU -> that is why I got this GPU". A bit lost... sorry. :)

I'm sorry. I am new to Forums.

I needed to upgrade my pc for the release of Elite: Dangerous. But I also play World of Tanks/Warplanes online.
I keep getting messages from the mobo that the CPU temp has exceeded 70c which to be honest is annoying at times.
I needed a better cooling fan than the stock one which is fitted.

I asked on this forum about a GPU upgrade and bought the aforementioned Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB today of eBay as it was recommended by forum members as my current GPU was inadequate.

My intention is too OC my GPU. From what I can sumise OC'ing a CPU will cause a rise in temp. Therefore a better/more efficient cooling device is needed.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

I keep getting messages from the mobo that the CPU temp has exceeded 70c which to be honest is annoying at times.
Raise that notification up. If it is actually from your motherboard, you should have as setting in the bios to change that.

I needed a better cooling fan than the stock one which is fitted.
70C is fine/expected though... for that stock cooler.

Ok, so that was associated with a completely different thread... gotcha. :)

Hyper 212 EVO stands to tall for the case. Have just looked up the dimensions. Is there anything similiar to my stock cooler but more efficient in the CFM department. I am also looking for three 120mm Fans and one 140mm with a high CFM rating.

This one will fit and it uses a 120mm fan. Squattier profile but in same class I think. A little heavier even than the Hyperr 212 Evo (607 gm vs. 580 gm). Only 130mm tall.

Last edited:
Maybe a 4U rack server heatsink? Not sure if you could find one for "regular" CPUs though...

@ themonk3106

What is the CPU clearance of your case?
What is your case?
How tall is your RAM?

A quick scaling from your mobo image shows the following from center of CPU to near side of sockets:
1st PCIe 72mm
2nd PCIe 92mm
2st RAM 54mm

@ themonk3106

What is the CPU clearance of your case?
What is your case?
How tall is your RAM?

A quick scaling from your mobo image shows the following from center of CPU to near side of sockets:
1st PCIe 72mm
2nd PCIe 92mm
2st RAM 54mm

From CPU to Side panel 140mm
Icute Jet Turbine Case
RAM 60mm Aprox (Corsair Vengeance with Cooling)

140mm does not add up.
Basic rule of thumb is if case has 120mm back fan over I/O opening CPU has 160mm clearance.

The math goes something like this:
Top of opening in back of case for I/O connections is about 42.5mm above motherboard. Top of CPU is 8mm above top of motherboards making the distance from top of CPU to top of I/O opening 34.5mm
Add 120mm for the back fan and we should have at least 154.5mm CPU clearance. 120mm fan usually has 5-8mm clearance making the CPU clearance at least 155mm or more likely 160mm.

Back