• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gtx 480 Under performing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gargant

Hey guys,

I've currently got a GTX 480 and was looking at upgrading to a 660. While comparing I saw that the 480 still scores better in benchmarks, a drawback being it pumps out heat to the point that hobbits come into my room trying to get rid of rings. I think that my cpu is bottle necking it hard, and just curious if you guys agree. I've got a phenom II x2 that I had running with four cores but my cpu cooler broke during a move so I had to lock it back down to two cores. This happened about a year ago and I still haven't gotten a new cooler. So... bottlenecking from cpu?

-Gargant

It could be. Depends on what game, what settings in game, and your resolution.

660 is a midrange card in that line so I am not surprised that the 480 competes with it.

First off, if you remove the 480 you will reduce the heat in your case significantly.

I would look at a 750 , low power and heat and a touch better than the 660

Then see what happens with the CPU once you get a new cooler, just grab an Evo on the cheap

You could have a situation there where it is possible that the GPU is tapping it's foot , but that would depend on the game and the shape of your 480

They do have a tendancy to overheat and throttel

Easy way to check is to simply run a well balaced bech and moitor both the GPU and CPU so you can see who the culprit is

I noticing some stuttering in Metro 2033/LL when I have the graphics pumped to ultra AA. It just stutters and lags sometimes, enough to make it pretty irritating. As well as online games like Archeage, but I think that because the cpu cant process the map fast enough so that's why it bogs. My monitor is set to 1920 x 1080 and I have no OC on the card

That is just the game, period. A 480 can't handle Metro:2033/LL. Hell, it takes a 290/290x/780/780ti/970/980 to do it which are all around 2x as fast as a 480.

Archeage would be CPU limited since its an MMORPG.

But, it was handling it fine before. Though the frames were closer to 20-30 fps, it still ran quite beautifully with no AA. Its just recently that I noticed a decline in performance. Thinking it might also be age and use, because this card has seen a helluva lot of it. Might try to snag another off ebay for $100 and pop them in SLI. Because a gtx 480 dual sli setup should preform close to what a 770 puts out

I doubt it worked that will before with Ultra settings (that includes AA). Look at our reviews. Heck even the 980 I just reviewed only got around 40 FPS.. no way that old card could pull more than 20 or so

I wouldn't in general, but I wouldn't with that CPU (will hold SLI back, period), and specifically not that power supply as there is no way it will handle it. 2x 480's you want a 750W+ PSU.

Sell the 480 and grab a 970 or something.

Im doing an upgrade soon and Im going to grab an fx-8320, 750W psu, 8gb ram, and a new case and mobo. Was thinking I could save some $$ and keep my 480 and grab another for sli.

I wouldn't... SLI/CFx is just not worth it (to me) especially at 1080p. As I said, the large power consumption, heat, SLI scaling, etc...

I would ride it out and save more money personally. Also think about Intel too as I am not sure that board of your would like a octo core on it with its poor power delivery area (4+1 and no heatsinks).

The boards junk and It's going as soon as it can. I'm looking at running the fx-8320 cooled by a corsair H60 with an 'superclocked' 760 along with a new mobo and psu. Id probably keep and OC my 480 until I could scroung up enough to get a 760. Thoughts?

H60 will be ok at stock, not much beyond that though... 8320's are heaters and needs a solid board to run well at stock speeds. If you plan on overclocking that 8320, you will want a dual rad (2x120) AIO instead of single like the H60 (think H100i or similar... Kraken X60 - but its 2x140mm).

The case is going to the the corsair vengence c70 so ill have plenty of room for whatever i decide to throw in there. Thanks for the input

Back