• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the point of closed loop water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:O i see the point now :D

i also thought they're louder ! (pump "vrrrrrr" noise :) )

btw: i think the one fan radiators are kinda pointless but the 2 fan ones are good :)
i mean except the noise and other stuff i mean only for cooling :) i know they also take less space :p + they make your pc look so awesome :O

Last edited:
Please keep in mind almost all reviews are seriously flawed. The use room ambient temp (which is not the same as the temp of air going into the cooler / radiator) is the problem. The temp in the area around your computer is most likely 2-3c warmer than room, and the air inside of case .. specifically going into cooler / radiator .. is usually 2-10+c warmer still. The cooler / radiator intake air temp changes with fan speed and component load .. and when the cooler is changed the airflow characteristics change too, as do the cooler intake temps.

I know, they say its to give "real world" results .. Well, their "real world" is not the same as our "real world" .. different cases, GPUs, fans, case placement, etc. all effect this supposed "real world". :-/

^Yes, yes, yes!

I never got comparable results to the ones they get in reviews, lol! That could be better, or worse, but never in line!

It's just mind boggling that testers don't use the actual temperature of air going into cooler.

I could understand having both room ambient and cooler intake air temps. This would show us how the cases are cooling in the test systems

But using room ambient for cooler is akin to looking at your kitchen thermometer to know how warm your bedroom is. :screwy:

What bothers the hell out of me is that most reviewers almost always run their dam air coolers (or water coolers) outside of the case, on top of cardboard box or something. Therefore I cant really get a decent idea what am air cooler such as the Noctua D15 will be like inside a closed case compared to a AIO water cooler. Most normal people run there PC hardware within a case :bang head

The main problem I see it air coolers being tested outside of a case may not represent actuate temperatures once moved into a case. Water coolers are able to shift air directly out of a case once installed, where as air coolers dump their heat directly inside of a case and required excellent extraction fans to shift the air out, especially with air coolers like the Noctua D15

What bothers me the most is people like you who do not seem to understand that without knowing / using the temperature of air going into cooler as baseline for testing we have no way of comparing anything not tested or used in an identical system.

Your system is not the same as a tester's system, therefor your results with same cooler will most likely be different.

Open bench testing gives us a better comparison of how coolers perform, but still without using the temp of air going into coolers they are not accurate. Do you look at the thermometer in you bedroom and expect your kitchen to be the same temperature? No? Then why do you think the temp of air going into a cooler in a case is the same as the room the systme is ih? Both your bedroom and kitchen are in your house .. and if it is logical to use room ambient to test coolers than your bedroom and kitchen would be the same temperature. :p

Aside from Swiftech and Coolermaster, aren't the other brands made by the same manufacturer? All you need to do is check out the difference between Swiftech, Coolermaster and Corsair and you'll know which one is best for you

I have just gone from a Noctua D14 to a Kraken X61, blown away on how much better it is. I was at 3.6GHz stable and now at 4.3GHz stable, big difference. You will pay for in in noise, but the performance is far better. Must take into account I change to a high air flow case, but my old case wasn't to bad.

Have to say there is a trade off at a certain level. AIO seem fine if selecting the right one. Custom looks to be more money and trouble than what its worth, unless that is your thing.

How can you say how much better it is when you not only changed coolers but also the case .. and have no idea what the cooler intake air temp was in old case with NH-D14. There is no baseline for comparison to be based on.

I'm glad it's working to your satisfaction, but there is no comparison to be made.

The original question, 'what's the point of a closed loop water cooling', has a really simple answer: to cool system components. Closed loop cooling is simply another method. Air cooling, full custom loops, or mounting your components on the surface of Pluto all would be attempts at lowering the temps of a functioning PC.

The posts in this thread pretty much cover the pros and cons of closed loop coolers but there comes a point in the decision making process where you must ask yourself, "do you feel lucky punk?" Dirty Harry's antagonist wasn't so lucky, but perhaps counting shots fired wasn't one of his strengths. The folks building custom PCs have plenty of experiences answering the questions related to their systems, but it seems that Cold Hard Facts, data, are what the OP wants to make a judgement upon, not luck.

I've had success with all three methods. They all have cooled my PC components quite well. I took a real chance when I ran my first custom loop. But after getting over the fear of electrocuting my components with water, I had achieved better cooling than stock. Same happened when I went out on a limb and mounted the first AIO to a CPU. The mere fact that there are hundreds of heat sinks to choose from that move heat away from components says that market has matured, everyone that makes them must be making some profits in order to continue, and the AIO and Custom folks must be getting similar customer support. It's all good. What's right for you?

@Robert17. You sir are funny and informative. I like it.

I currently only air cool. Back in the AMD Thunderbird days, I built a custom closed loop. After four stitches and two water leaks which blew my dial-up modem, it was awesome. I'm personally not impressed with the AIO closed loops that you can buy today. For the cost, I don't see a proper drop in noise or temps. Note that I qualified that statement with "for the cost". I just bought a big open case and installed many big and slow fans to gently move lots of air.

Closed loop for me is a better way to water cool due to the lack of contaminants entering the system and lack of evaporation.

I have a H100 in my main PC and I chose it because of the noise, the loudest thing in my PC is my GPU but I chose fans that is not as loud and still able to OC my 1100T to 4ghz

The original question, 'what's the point of a closed loop water cooling', has a really simple answer: to cool system components. Closed loop cooling is simply another method. Air cooling, full custom loops, or mounting your components on the surface of Pluto all would be attempts at lowering the temps of a functioning PC.

The posts in this thread pretty much cover the pros and cons of closed loop coolers but there comes a point in the decision making process where you must ask yourself, "do you feel lucky punk?" Dirty Harry's antagonist wasn't so lucky, but perhaps counting shots fired wasn't one of his strengths. The folks building custom PCs have plenty of experiences answering the questions related to their systems, but it seems that Cold Hard Facts, data, are what the OP wants to make a judgement upon, not luck.

I've had success with all three methods. They all have cooled my PC components quite well. I took a real chance when I ran my first custom loop. But after getting over the fear of electrocuting my components with water, I had achieved better cooling than stock. Same happened when I went out on a limb and mounted the first AIO to a CPU. The mere fact that there are hundreds of heat sinks to choose from that move heat away from components says that market has matured, everyone that makes them must be making some profits in order to continue, and the AIO and Custom folks must be getting similar customer support. It's all good. What's right for you?

my problems was mainly with getting the same temps!

Ill take good air over a closed loop any day of the week.

My last closed loop was antec 620 thats surface was not flat,even after 3 RMAs, CPu would heat up into 80s at full load. What piece of crap, they were new revisions, the first revision was ok. Not as good as xigmatek darknight II air cooler though. That thing amazed me for 44 bucks. Never went above 52 degrees load

Ill take good air over a closed loop any day of the week.

My last closed loop was antec 620 thats surface was not flat,even after 3 RMAs, CPu would heat up into 80s at full load. What piece of crap, they were new revisions, the first revision was ok. Not as good as xigmatek darknight II air cooler though. That thing amazed me for 44 bucks. Never went above 52 degrees load

That's an AIO meant for lower end cpus. While I do not know what cpu you have, if you really want to waste money on an AIO, I generally advise grabbing an H100 or similar (1250 for Antec) for optimal temps from "liquid cooling".

That's an AIO meant for lower end cpus. While I do not know what cpu you have, if you really want to waste money on an AIO, I generally advise grabbing an H100 or similar (1250 for Antec) for optimal temps from "liquid cooling".

H100 is also AIO...

Thats what closed loops are, in any case the corsair you mentioned is just a rebrand of the ones that made the original antecs.

What I had was not really meant for lower end, go buy a 9370 and it comes with a similar AIO cooler to a 620 it should handle that wattage, even with its puny fan. I had 2 silverstone FM121s in push pull and at first it was decent, but later with the non flat mating surface of waterblock I got fed up with newer revisions. Ohh yeah first one pump died after reflow from Indigo.... ANd they warned me that some pumps blow after a reflow with indigo.....

I mentioned the H100 was an AIO ;) On that note also, Antec are simply rebranded Asetek units similar to any other company for the most part, that is not what we are discussing though.

It doesn't matter what a cpu purchase may "come with", I would never run a higher end AMD cpu on a a budget AIO cooling solution. If I were to go AIO at all, it would need to be H100 or similar units unless I were running a lower watt chip. I prefer the custom loop route myself, but I do see the convenience of the AIO units despite their lower quality parts.

There's nothing wrong with running a lower end unit I suppose, but I wouldn't do that on my chip personally. I would sooner hook back up my Noctua D14 or Phanteks TC14 and get better thermal performance.

I mentioned the H100 was an AIO ;) On that note also, Antec are simply rebranded Asetek units similar to any other company for the most part, that is not what we are discussing though.

It doesn't matter what a cpu purchase may "come with", I would never run a higher end AMD cpu on a a budget AIO cooling solution. If I were to go AIO at all, it would need to be H100 or similar units unless I were running a lower watt chip. I prefer the custom loop route myself, but I do see the convenience of the AIO units despite their lower quality parts.

There's nothing wrong with running a lower end unit I suppose, but I wouldn't do that on my chip personally. I would sooner hook back up my Noctua D14 or Phanteks TC14 and get better thermal performance.
Yeah I knowit was aseteks you just reminded me of the exact name.

As for noctua and phanteks I think they are too big. Check out the one in my sig, Im pretty sure its just rebranded xigmatek dark knight II. Thin a bit tall but even with single fan and for 50 bucks I like it better then any AIO.

Back