• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the point of closed loop water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's been common knowledge for a long time that a high end air cooler can keep up with all-in-one water coolers. That's why most people around here would suggest building a custom loop. An all-in-one water cooler may provide better noise levels than an air cooler though, but that depends on how exactly you set it up and what fans are used.

No, not at all. They can save a lot of space in your case, run quiet, and depending on what air cooler you have now they could perform quite a bit better too.

They also bring a much smaller footprint to the table as well as bettter memory compatibilty

The top end ones do outprform the top end air coolers all be it not by a huge margin.

My opinion on this is these types of coolers have made air coolers obsolete in an enthusiast level build.

:O ok :) thanks for answer

btw XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 Watercooling Kit is only 150$ ! i thought the cheapest custom loop will be like 200$ :)

They are nice kits and prefom really good, if you go in that direction just chuck the tubing and buy something a little better

Also, if you go for the XSPC kit, ditch the 750 XSPC pump and look at their D5 offering, if you have the funds available. Same kit, but with a far better pump. +1 on the tubing, change that out from the kit to something like Primoflex Advanced LRT.

i just wanted to know, my mobo is b75 :D

maybe i will buy one when i live alone ! (im 15 now :|) with my own money :D

if i wanted other than stock cooling i would go for air right now! + i don't have any space for radiator !

Last edited:
Exactly the reason I wouldn't even worry about it right now anyway, at least with that motherboard you won't be doing much with that cpu. So long as it does what YOU need it to right now, I wouldn't worry so much on it unless you could find a Z77 board used for very cheap (we have Classifieds here for that).

Save your money, and while you are young put away the money into some form of savings account for your future :)

yes :D im doing exactly the same(saving like 30$ buy not buying a mecha keyboard,keeping my horrible monitor, ect..), although, it sounds extremely hard to resist a new espresso machine xD i hate my current cheap one!

and the motherboard is a long story ! i was first hopping to get as rock extreme 4 , something unexpected happened, i was left with no choice !

i mostly asked it to know, or even in case somebody asks me ;)
My PC is currently good for me ! even good for lnext 4 years i guess! i mostly do programming and browsing with my pc :) once in a while i play tf2 and hearthstone :) and maybe a great single player game !
I think about of buying new stuff for my pc like every month but i just forget about it :)

anyway

thanks a lot for help :)

I always enjoy upgrades, but I try to limit myself at the very least to new games, if I am unable to max or get near max settings, I upgrade.

lol, i lower the graphics instead :p

i don't upgrade unless its necessary for now, well, except my SSD, :D

im really interested in storage and cooling in PC :D specially water cooling, or even air !

some of the all in one water cooling kits are pretty darn good, some are really bad, read a lot of reviews before buying.
I use kits, i use parts of this kit with stuff from that kit and i use full custom kits it's all about what YOU want for YOUR rig.

only thing i found was the kit i mentioned ! from some guy i don't know if i can trust :D

and it was like 230$ or something

The chart you linked is for noise level.

Check the temp charts and you'll see AIO do better than top end air cooler (not by much though...).

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPUCooling/772

Edit: this ranking is BS anyway. When you see a Noctua NH-U14S (PWM) giving better result than a NH-D14 dual fan@100%, there is something wrong, lol!

Here's a compilation of data from some of George Cella's testing of AIO, CLC and top air. The the H240-X with fans at 850rpm and pump at 1350rpm was still as good as top air and quieter.
CLCvsAirw-H240X_zps99b68a6d.jpg

Back