• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evolve Big Alpha love?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sobe

Unscathed Member
No thread here on it from what I see, soooo..... Anyone else playing the Evolve alpha?

How are you liking it so far? Do you feel it's worth a purchase?

I've been playing since it opened for PC users today and I'm having a hell of a time so far, great fun! Definitely reminds me of when Left4Dead first came out, however... that can be both good and bad. I enjoyed Left4Dead..... for a little.... But then it got boring for me. This feels more like a polished shooter than L4D could hope to be, but on that same note, while I am loving the movements, the shooting mechanics, and so on, I get the all too familiar feeling of deja-vu striking me similar to when I played Left4Dead.

Do I think it's worth the purchase is what it really comes down to after this Alpha, and with a pricing of $42 currently at websites like G2A.com, while the price is certainly more manageable than a $60-$70 price tag a lot of games are demanding these days, I'm really waiting for "more" before I make a final decision on if it's worth the money. While I will probably be buying it anyway, regardless of my concern for if it is worth the amount, I still get that sense of deja-vu that I did from L4D that it may very well be a game I play for a little then hardly ever play it again.

I spent 30 minutes trying to join a match. Joined half a dozen rooms but all would drop by the time the 45 second timer got to 15... This was after the patch.

I don't play anything pre-release. And usually I find the initial few revisions suck too. I do not delight in the throws of glitchy programs, especially games. Especially when they make me pay to play the alpha.

The game has been flawless for me, and for an Alpha it's damn amazing. First couple games I got into in under 5min each but my 3rd took over 30min (I just minimized and randomly checked on it), despite that it's rather random on que times, but I've had a great time.

The game has been flawless for me, and for an Alpha it's damn amazing. First couple games I got into in under 5min each but my 3rd took over 30min (I just minimized and randomly checked on it), despite that it's rather random on que times, but I've had a great time.

5 min waiting in a queue to get into a multiplayer game? If it takes more than 30 seconds I lose interest, personally. I don't find online gaming interesting enough to suffer through ridiculous wait times. I guess not a lot of people are in the game yet since it's in Alpha but that's just another strike against it as far as I'm concerned.

"Pay me for all the tomatoes now. I'll give you 3 tomatoes today and the other 7 tomatoes in 12 months. Cool?" Nay. Not cool. :p

Glad you're enjoying yourself though. Keep us updated. Post some vids or screenshots!

I have been playing in the UK, and haven't found it taking that long to join a match. I like the introduction videos to the characters during loading, and their abilities are quite straightforward to use. Haven't been the monster yet, but it seems pretty fun.

Also I got into the alpha for free and haven't preordered the game yet.

I have been playing in the UK, and haven't found it taking that long to join a match. I like the introduction videos to the characters during loading, and their abilities are quite straightforward to use. Haven't been the monster yet, but it seems pretty fun.

Also I got into the alpha for free and haven't preordered the game yet.

How do you get into the alpha for free? I'd be into that. I thought you had to pay.

I played this a bit today. It seems pretty polished and bug free compared to the bf4 beta. i played a couple of rounds without issue.

I am not good at it. The gameplay type doesn't really appeal to me though.

The Alpha is 100% free, anyone who told you otherwise is misinformed. Here are some extra codes I got due to the FREE registration for alpha of anyone wants in.

FIRST COME FIRST SERVE! Activate via Steam.
CODE for PC:
PZKK8-YFYDV-DQ3AE
PZKT6-26YVB-60YL0
PZL77-I6QA8-69ACE
PZL9M-F6MZV-I3XWI

Ive been away for business this weekend, but if I can get back tonight and get in some games I'll get some screencaps and a vid or two.

Evolve's alpha has been extended until Tuesday due to PS4 issues, so all platforms have been extended.

One of the makers for Evolve is one of the makers for the XCOM: Enemy Unknown, so that gave me access to the Alpha. However, I've spent more time waiting on matches and the prep of getting into a match than in a match itself. Logged about 120 mins so far and been in 4 matches at about 5-7 mins each at most.

Personal thoughts on game -

Pro: Looks quite polished for an Alpha.

Cons: The controls are port aimed, reminded me of DSII, where I spent more time testing keys than actually playing, to figure out how to use abilities. Press RT, LT, etc.

You never want to play the monster. It has no chance. I just stood there as medic one game testing keys to figure out how to heal my mates as the medic. Monster died before I ever learned how. Same thing when I was the support, trying to learn how to shield my mates. Again monster died before I learned how.

It also has a problem with either my computer or internet, often I discovered my internet connection with Evolve running as disconnected. If I try to visit Steam via shift tab or just open Chrome on the 2nd monitor to browse while waiting for a game, it says I have no internet connection but once I shut down Evolve, the internet connection is back.

Wait times, whether because of the aforementioned or not, are ridiculous. 120 mins total running game time and less than 30 mins of actually playing the game itself.

One of the makers for Evolve is one of the makers for the XCOM: Enemy Unknown, so that gave me access to the Alpha. However, I've spent more time waiting on matches and the prep of getting into a match than in a match itself. Logged about 120 mins so far and been in 4 matches at about 5-7 mins each at most.

Personal thoughts on game -

Pro: Looks quite polished for an Alpha.

Cons: The controls are port aimed, reminded me of DSII, where I spent more time testing keys than actually playing, to figure out how to use abilities. Press RT, LT, etc.

You never want to play the monster. It has no chance. I just stood there as medic one game testing keys to figure out how to heal my mates as the medic. Monster died before I ever learned how. Same thing when I was the support, trying to learn how to shield my mates. Again monster died before I learned how.

It also has a problem with either my computer or internet, often I discovered my internet connection with Evolve running as disconnected. If I try to visit Steam via shift tab or just open Chrome on the 2nd monitor to browse while waiting for a game, it says I have no internet connection but once I shut down Evolve, the internet connection is back.

Wait times, whether because of the aforementioned or not, are ridiculous. 120 mins total running game time and less than 30 mins of actually playing the game itself.

Had the same experience. The monster is super weak at stage 1, can take on 1-2 hunters as stage 2, and I never got to see stage 3 as the monster always dies before that. Once playing as medic one guy on my team ran off and soloed the monster..

I think it will be more in the moster's favor if/when the maps get bigger though. It's really hard to stay hidden when you can't climb outer limit walls or structures, but the hunters can fly around with jetpacks.

For an alpha version though? Awesome. Reminds me of the good old AVP games, but there you were actually scared of the monster, not the other way around :D

For those who wanted some eye candy...

The Alpha did not have a NDA so enjoy. Lifted from Steam Community page. I grabbed some gifs but they were too big to be attached.

Lobby.jpg
The lobby during matchmaking. What alot of us saw and only saw for much of the Alpha.

Parady Cover.png
A parady cover for the game due to its long wait periods during matchmaking

ReadyToRoll.jpg
When everyone has joined and picked their class. Classes are auto assigned based on your preselected order of preference.
From left to right, Medic, Support, Monster, Trapper, Assault.

Daisy.jpg
Daisy, the pet the Trapper gets to help track the monster.

Back