• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

g3258 overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks!

Been playing with the new setup for a couple days and thought it was about time to reach out for a little guidance. Chip's running pretty well, efficiency is horrible, but it's definitely got more to give. Below are a couple results and my current bios settings.

Whatcha think? Any help would be much appreciated!

tia!!

Attachments

• g3258-hwbp-4724.61.jpg
    g3258-hwbp-4724.61.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 476
  • g3258-cine11.5-4.84.jpg
    g3258-cine11.5-4.84.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 426
  • xpower-bios1.jpg
    xpower-bios1.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 413
  • xpower-bios2.jpg
    xpower-bios2.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 416
Nice clocks F_S, you must have that on the cascade do you? I have one of these sitting on a shelf just waiting to be taken out for a ride.

Looks like you have it worked out with that chiop bro , nice work man :thup:

try

higher vccin 2.4-2.7

Kill the gene

bring Ring within 200 to 300 of core

Thanks man. Yep...chip and cascade are getting along well. Max temp at full load is -109C. Thinking of trying 2933 sticks but also wondering if I'll get better results running slower ram with much tighter timings. Really hoping to hit 6GHz+ on the cpu.

Looks like you have it worked out with that chiop bro , nice work man :thup:

try

higher vccin 2.4-2.7

Kill the gene

bring Ring within 200 to 300 of core

Thanks Witchdoctor! Getting there but feel I've still got a ways to go. Hoping to get some quality benching time this weekend (after honeydos, of course).

Will up vccin. Don't see a way to disable oc gene...the other option is "by bios button". The settings just control whether oc gene can be activated using the lightning bolt button on the mobo or a 'button' that'll appear in bios. I'm not using either so think that setting's ok. Ring bus ring bus....funny about that one. Most guides say to keep it within 300MHz of the cpu but when I set the ring bus to anything over 5300 the setup has trouble getting into windows and gives bsods (124) like crazy. Contrary to other guides, this one says it doesn't matter and I may actually be better off setting it to around 3400?

Haven't tried bclk clocking at all yet.

Thoughts/ideas?

I keep it as high as I can and maintain stability. It will make some differences. Test it out with Cinebench

Mmmm....Jeannie. She was right up there with Ellie May, Samantha Stevens and, of course, Mary Anne for me hehe

Thanks Theocnoob! Appreciate the kind words but gotta tell ya'....I'm among the worst overclockers out here :/ I'm just persistent, have good cooling and grind through lots of hardware (killing a bit too much along the way). I'm learning, though!

Had a decent day yesterday. Had to shut down after 5-6 hours due to condensation but have managed to figure the setup out a little better. Big key for me was playing with the ring frequency. It reminds me a bit of performance level from 775. I found that it boosts performance signficantly but the ideal level seems to vary bench to bench. Lowering it a little enabled me to get 6GHz stable enough to bench.

Will post up my latest bios settings once I get up and running again (think you can see them in my xtu sub, though). Still struggling with memory selection and settings but was able to get the 2933 sticks running at close to 3GHz which was fun.

Results from yesterday:
http://hwbot.org/submission/2665836
http://hwbot.org/submission/2665948
http://hwbot.org/submission/2665973
http://hwbot.org/submission/2665974
http://hwbot.org/submission/2665813

Thanks Witchdoctor! Getting there but feel I've still got a ways to go. Hoping to get some quality benching time this weekend (after honeydos, of course).

Will up vccin. Don't see a way to disable oc gene...the other option is "by bios button". The settings just control whether oc gene can be activated using the lightning bolt button on the mobo or a 'button' that'll appear in bios. I'm not using either so think that setting's ok. Ring bus ring bus....funny about that one. Most guides say to keep it within 300MHz of the cpu but when I set the ring bus to anything over 5300 the setup has trouble getting into windows and gives bsods (124) like crazy. Contrary to other guides, this one says it doesn't matter and I may actually be better off setting it to around 3400?

Haven't tried bclk clocking at all yet.

Thoughts/ideas?
I never push the ring much past stock... it matters in so few benchmarks and kills stability much above that for me.. .Now, that is not on the G3258 but... I never raise it personally.

Hiya EarthDog

Hmmmm....it made a pretty significant performance difference on the benches I played with yesterday. Funny how almost all guides out there say to keep it 100-300MHz below core frequency (and one says it doesn't matter). I started playing with it out of frustration really...couldn't figure out why I couldn't load up the chip beyond 5.6-5.7GHz (with ring frequency in the 5300-5400 range). Dropping it down in the 3200-4000 also gave me mad stability problems (and worse overall results). Reduced ring frequency from 5400 to 5000 and boom...6GHz. From that point forward, left almost all settings the same and tried other benches and ram sticks. Found that if something wouldn't post or make it into windows, I just had to reduce ring frequency a bit and the system would get right in. The 'best' ring frequency setting varies with bench and ram used (had to drop ring down into the 4500-4800 range for quite a few).

When up and running again will play more. The ram thing is driving me crazy and have yet to try the ram presets at all (might need help figuring out which to try for all my ram).

All in all, though....pretty happy so far! Best $80 I've spent in ages.

Hiya EarthDog

Hmmmm....it made a pretty significant performance difference on the benches I played with yesterday. Funny how almost all guides out there say to keep it 100-300MHz below core frequency (and one says it doesn't matter). I started playing with it out of frustration really...couldn't figure out why I couldn't load up the chip beyond 5.6-5.7GHz (with ring frequency in the 5300-5400 range). Dropping it down in the 3200-4000 also gave me mad stability problems (and worse overall results). Reduced ring frequency from 5400 to 5000 and boom...6GHz. From that point forward, left almost all settings the same and tried other benches and ram sticks. Found that if something wouldn't post or make it into windows, I just had to reduce ring frequency a bit and the system would get right in. The 'best' ring frequency setting varies with bench and ram used (had to drop ring down into the 4500-4800 range for quite a few).

When up and running again will play more. The ram thing is driving me crazy and have yet to try the ram presets at all (might need help figuring out which to try for all my ram).

All in all, though....pretty happy so far! Best $80 I've spent in ages.
Right.. which is exactly why I leave it close to stock when going extreme overclocking. I like to minimize the variables I have that could cause problems. For example. When I look for max overcock, the memory is at JEDEC and not even XMP. Ring is stock speeds... etc. Once I get my top clocks, THEN I raise the memory... I really leave the ring alone... needless to say there are some benchmarks I leave some meat on the bone, but for the most part, Im good with that as I don't waste time messing around with things to get them working.

What benchmarks did you show significant gains with it?

xtu, pifast and spi so far. Didn't have time to try fiddling with it for wprime. Actually spent the bulk of the day playing with xtu and 5 different sets of ram. Took screens of everything and once I've had a chance to make sense of it all, will post in a different thread.

I'll have to consider that when moving forward... but at least when trying to overclock, leave it alone until you get your CPU and memory dialed in. It could save you some time and effort, and lord knows with the hardware you have in line to bench, you need all the time you can get, LOL! :attn:

Yeah...that's basically how I'm approaching it. I set ring speed fairly low (45 is what I've been using as the starting point in the process), get cpu dialed in, get ram dialed in, raise ring speed as high as possible then run the bench.

Have to start researching how to oc my 780Ti...cannot wait to see how the setup does on older 3d's. Need moar globals!!!

Nice job with that chip bro ,

Congrats to making into the top 25 in the nation. :thup:

To put that into perspective there are only 23 people in the entire country faster than you are ............

Number 23 and 22 in the sights :rofl:

:snipe:

Thank you Witchodoctor! (and thanks for the guidance/peptalk call the other day)
Yeah....think I'm finally getting there with this chip. Seems I'm getting a little more out of it than the ln2-er I got it from (which you know I like trying to do hehe). Can't believe I'm in the top25...woohoo!! What I lack in skill I seem to make up for with grinding ;P Definitely after 22 and 23 now. Might be able to get there with good re-runs on cine11.5 and cine15

Speaking of which...just a little more and you'll be in the Top10 US!! Go at it man!!!

Back