• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Authentication Errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kylesims

So, I've been trying to figure out why my Mail app wasn't working in Windows 8.1. I uninstalled the app, went to the store to redownload it, and got an error saying it couldn't process. A quick google search of the error shows that Windows thinks my copy isn't authentic. Some Microsoft pages said that this has to do with a service, the Software Protection service, not running. I go to look for it, and my Software Protection service is stuck in a perpetual state of 'stopping'.

It's been like this since I powered my computer on today. I've been having this issue for several days, so I'm assuming a restart won't fix it.

How can I force-stop that service? Or remove it completely? I found a microsoft forum post with a script I can run in command prompt to make a new service for it, but it won't let me do that currently cause the service already exists.

Any help is appreciated, and I'll give any other info needed as requested.

I can only try and guess with my help as I have never used win 8 .
But in all the other windows versions you type "msconfig" Into the run line then click on the services tab . So give that a shot , best I can do . =)

If you can't kill it through services.msc, try using the powershell cmdlet stop-service with the -force flag. I've never run into this issue, but I'd look for a root cause as to why that service is reporting that your version is not activated rather than just killing it every time.

I ran in to all kinds of problems with a Win 8.1 install because the time was wrong. Authentication issues and internet connection problems to name two. I had somehow managed to put the wrong time zone in and as soon as it connected to a local server a bunch of stuff got borked. Throwing that out there just in case.

Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier... Used a restore point from about a week before the issue - Windows 8 is great about creating restore points before windows updates and installing/uninstalling -anything-. Fixed the issue. Thanks guys!

Did you get message on the bottom right "This copy of Windows is not genuine".

OTOH, I know that Windows 7 may randomly display that message, real annoying. (Then it goes away like nothing happened)

Back