• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi first time overclocking this, please check and give advice! thanks :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, your current video card will be very limiting for a lot of games. I would agree with Johan45. RAM speed is a pretty minor player with regard to CPU performance, actually.

WIll do that now! now i am deciding between spending $110 for just a r9 270 card (a little slower than a Radeon 7870) or spending $30 more - $140 - for a r9 280 (a rebranded Radeon HD 7950 )- doing research on both cards, is the $30 worth getting 280 over 270?

looking at benchmark site, the 280 has G3D mark score of 4,673
the 270 has 4,198
the current one in my system, 250x, only score of 2,153

so, 280? 270? :)

Last edited:
I think the extra $30 would be worth it. Or get the r9 270 and use the $30 difference to get a Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler.

Always get as much as you can afford when dealing with graphics cards. That $30 might buy you an extra year or two.

ok just purchased the r9 280. however now i think i need to purchase a new power supply as mine is only 600W .... just realized the card itself is 250w TDP :p and the CPU is almost 100W TDP. how much watt PSU should I need you think?

You need a signature...

...How to put up Sig at OCF. Got to find where SIG is located now that the forum has changed a few months ago.

Looked thru the pages of thread and could not find WHAT 600watt power supply you have. Be it cheapO or reputable. If we knew what it was...most likely it will be fine along with a single 280 video card.
RGone...ster.

How to Make Signature new forum style for non-mobile users.

ForumActions.jpeg

DownToEditSig.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks! You think my PSU will be fine even if i plan to OC my CPU and RAM?? Ok i will stay with it, how do I tell if my PSU is not giving out enough power? oh and just made my signature thx RGONE now it's easier... :X

Last edited:
I think the extra $30 would be worth it. Or get the r9 270 and use the $30 difference to get a Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler.

I used to have that apevia case years ago, I'd be surprised if the 212 could fit with the door being able to close. OP, do you have your cooler mounted backwards? I guess it looks as though you've got everything else setup to vent hot air out the front and side? I got better results when I had that case from having the air exhaust out the back, and having the side panel fan blow cool air into the front of the cooler, which then exhausted out the back. You could try that and see if you get better temps. Cable management wouldn't hurt either.

Toaster, what's the model of that Apevia case? We can look up the width of it if we know that.

I used to have that apevia case years ago, I'd be surprised if the 212 could fit with the door being able to close. OP, do you have your cooler mounted backwards? I guess it looks as though you've got everything else setup to vent hot air out the front and side? I got better results when I had that case from having the air exhaust out the back, and having the side panel fan blow cool air into the front of the cooler, which then exhausted out the back. You could try that and see if you get better temps. Cable management wouldn't hurt either.

Omg.. I just realized all these times I have the airflow backward, like the cpu cooler I had thought fan was pulling air from heatsink and blowing air to the front, I felt stupid now. :/ I think the 212 might fit l, I check newegg it is around 30mm taller than current cooler i have. I should barely have room I think.. Hmm.. Measuring my case now.. , if not maybe I wil just get a new case too :)

Also saw the 212 has a range of ~25 up to 83cfm while mine is just 40cfm, rpm is similar . Not entirely sure how cfm works, but Does that mean the 212 can be twice as efficient as cooling than the one I currently have? I will order it after my computer is fixed (currently typing all these on my phone :x)

Last edited:
This is what air flow direction should look like in a case. And the cooler fan should be pushing air through the cooler heat sink toward the back of the case.

It always amazes me that so many people don't get this. Just seems intuitive to me. Heat rises so why not orient the fans to take advantage of that?

Attachments

• case_air_flow.jpg
    case_air_flow.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
He has the Apevia Xblade, however I don't have any of the documentation anymore and apevia's was never very good- can't find anything on it. Only specs I can dig up are here http://www.pc-specs.com/case/Logisys/CS859SL_XBlade_Silver/1489. It lists the width as 200 mm. The 212 lists 159mm as it's height. I have no idea what the mobo standoffs, motherboard, and cpu add to this dimension.
I think at the very least the side fan would have to be removed for the 212 to fit, but that would cut down significantly on the air intake since the only other fan that pulls in is the front 120mm. For right now, I think OP should get his airflow moving from front to back (make the front and side fans as intake, and the back two fans as exhaust) and orient the cooler he has correctly.

CFM is a measure of airflow, the heatsink itself (the actual metal part) is far superior in addition to having a larger fan. The fan on your heatsink is 92mm, the fan on the 212 is 120mm, which is why it is capable of moving much more air at the same RPM range.

Last edited:
200 mm, huh? That would be a close shave one way or the other, most likely. If there is no dedicated space behind the motherboard tray to hide wires then the CM Hyper 212 Evo would probably fit.

Anyway, it sounds like his fans were all screwed up in their orientation with regard to proper flow patterns and it may be the case that if he gets that corrected his present cooler will suffice.

This is what air flow direction should look like in a case. And the cooler fan should be pushing air through the cooler heat sink toward the back of the case.

It always amazes me that so many people don't get this. Just seems intuitive to me. Heat rises so why not orient the fans to take advantage of that?

haha that is actually what i thought i had :( until rescuetoaster told me that's not what i had :( and then found out there's actually arrow on the fan itself pointing to the direction of the airflow and i had it backward the whole time :facepalm: i just switched them all around, thanks for the help =) temp got a little lower :sn:

I purchased the 212 , hopefully it will fit. the side fan luckily, thanks to the motherboard, is just out of the way of the cpu cooler by a little :clap: i will wait for the fan to arrive and let you guys know if i need a new case or not :comp: then proceed with my OC :p

Last edited:
The 212 EVO is the newer version. Personally I do not know of a difference between the two other than the EVO being newer with a better fan.

oh ok. then i think i will purchase the plus to save myself $15... im cheap :X

Back