• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pci-e only x8 on z97 evga classified

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neilah

Hi just done a new build after 7 years (really needed it haha)

Evga z97 classified
4790k cpu
Evga gtx 980 superclocked acx 2.0

Problem i have is the gpu is only showing as x8 gen 3.0 in the bios and gpu-z
The card is in lane 1 and no other cards r installed atall

Ive tried every lane on the board
Ive updated to the latest bios and chipset drivers
Played around with bios settings
Tried a different gpu (xfx 280x)
Tried the gpu-z pci-e render test
Still no luck

Only thing i can think of is i had to wait for my gtx 980 so used the cpu graphics although i
have deactivated the intrigated graphics in the bios would it still have somethin to do with it?

Thinkin i have a dodgy board and might have to rma it

Any ideas ?
Cheers neil

Should be a seeting in the BIOS, check all sub menu's \

There should show all the slots and what they are running in and the option to change

I am assuming this is the only PCIe expansion card you have in

Also turn off all the other lanes with the on board sliders other the the first one

Hi yer its the only card , the bios ahows it at the top of the screen as x8 and gen 3.0 and in the sub menus it shows the same but only options to change the gen from 1 2 3 and auto ,not the speed of them, tried all them options
Also tried the pci-e onboard switches

Do the new cards have powersaving features in them and the gpu-z render test
Just isnt taxing enough for the 980
Might try a 3dmark benchtest or somethin

good idea although mine read gen 16x while idol , but worth a try

if that does not work grab the latest and greatest and flash it

Yer might have to , by flash it do you mean the bios as ive already done that or do you mean thrash it on the latest benchtest software lol

yea the BIOS,

test as you suggested to see if it engages under load , can't hurt

If you do have the latest try reverting back one version as they may have released a dud

Good idea , have only just flashed it tho to see if that was the problem but will try that incase i missed a few inbetween the release date one and the latest
Thanks for your help will let you know if i sort it

Ohyer emailed evga and they said lay the case down on its side or check the cpu cooler is not to tight !! haha !!

Nothing like level 1 support , who did you talk to ?

Can I ask why you bought an eVGA board, They have been pretty weak since Shammy left

Matthew moser ,
He said check the cpu pins aswell which i did anyway when installing it
He also said to check the nvidia control panel system information
But that only shows the spec of the card not what its running at doesnt it ?

Is it worth doing a fresh os install as i did have a amd card in there beforehand
Incase there is hidden driver files effecting it after removing the catalst driver ?

could try to unistall the driver , run driver sweeper and reinstall the driver making sure to check clean install

just install the driver and physics, dump the rest of the crap

Can I ask why you bought an eVGA board, They have been pretty weak since Shammy left[/QUOTE]

Had a asus rog board and a asus hd 5870 2gb platinium rog gpu before this build and no problems but thought id give evga a go as its was meant to be a return to greatness( my arse it is) plus the board does look amazing haha

Back