• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tri Fire question- considering adding 6970 to 6990 in loop, worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

I am considering a new monitor, the IPS LG 29UM65-P LED 21:9 w 2560x1080 res.

Is tri fire worth it at an end cost of say 110 for a 6970 and razor block. My 6990 is under water and I have been offered an MSI 6970 2GB card for $70 from a friend and I will need to factor the razor block cost of about $40.

I am not too worried about the increased power consumption of the added 6970, current overclocking temps are very good at this point. I am thinking the added 6970 will definitely be nice w the monitor I am considering for some great gaming and photography/video editing.

Thoughts?

Gaming sure it will help... But scaling isn't great. I'd scrap the 6990 and go single 290x/970/980 for that res.

Gaming sure it will help... But scaling isn't great. I'd scrap the 6990 and go single 290x/970/980 for that res.

Yo EarthDog, thanks for feedback, the LG monitor I would like but for now will stay with current 24 which is 1900x1200. I want to make current system last till spring or fall and for the little cost to add the 6970 it seems better route to go. To go with the other suggestions I have to spend more which I dont really want to do as I feel the 290 or 780 is the only choice from where I am currently

Scrap em and buy a 970. Yes it's more money, but in the end you have a single card modern card producing less than 1/3 the heat and taking up 150w instead of over 600.

I found w some luck locally a xfx r290 for 220, retail box w receipt and I can register it for warranty. Not used for mining so I figure that's a good deal. Will sell the 6990 and grab a water block for the 290.

A part of me wants to tri fire but smarter thing to do is go the route of less power consumption and a single card solution and not having to upgrade my PSU!

Last edited:
Back