• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G3258 OC 4 a Noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stuartiannaylor

Registered
Never overclocked before, was always shy that problems would always presumed to be OC faults so always stayed default.

I don't really play games and I know its sad but World of Tanks has me hooked.

My PC was ancient and I had a really limited budget.

So with games still lagging behind many core processors I had a look around and the G3258 seemed a really good idea.

I did things the wrong way round really and bought some gear then did loads of reading.

My Gear
650W Powercool 80 PLUS, SLI/CrossFire PSU
Intel Pentium K Anniversary G3258
MSI Z87-G43
2x2GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black, PC3-16000
Silverstone SST-TD03 Tundra All-in-One CPU Water Cooler

Currently I am on 1.275v core with x44 multiple so 4.4 Ghz
I have the ring ratio @ x44 also and maybe someone can advise here.
Also the DDR speed is pushed to 1600 with no probs. I pushed the volts to 1.55.

For some reason clock multiplier & ring ratio @ 1:1 seems just to feel better.
I could swear WOT seems smoother and so does generally the PC.

Am I having a spaz or is 1:1 the ideal setting so processor and cache are matched?

Like 4.4 Ghz on what I spent isn't bad at all and with a bit of ebay wheeling and dealing my Radeon 5770 and a bit of cash will soon be a 5870.

I was originally just going to get another 5770 but WoT doesn't like crossfire.

If I try and go much above 1.275v core then the Silverstone SST-TD03 starts to ventilate the house averaging around 70C

With 4.4 @ 1.275 things seem very stable but 4.5 seems to take quite a jump.

3.3v core seemed to hold things stable but wow the cooler is on overdrive.

I am goingto do a reboot as there where a few settings such as C1 that I disabled that I need to jot down.

@ 4.4 Ghz I am happy enough and even though I could go higher I am just not happy with the cooler noise.
Things like the ring ratio 1:1 clock multipier have me confused as many just seem to leave default.

I am thinking I should of settled for 4.4 and just used the stock cooler the setup would of been £60 cheaper but haven't tried it.

Still think for budget gaming the G3258 is a great chip and just wondered if any of you are getting different results.

Not sure why the jump to 4.5 seemed to want such an increase in vcore.

Many Thanks

Stuart

hi stuartiannaylor! Congrats on picking up some very nice hardware!!! Nice overclock, too!

Most people recommend keeping the ring speed 100-300MHz below cpu speed but, so far (I'm still a n00b with this chip, too)...I'm thinking best is to start out with ring failry low (around 4000 in your case) and seeing if you can increase your cpu frequency. Once you get to what you think is max cpu frequency, then increase ring to the 100-300MHz shy and run a few tests. If increasing ring further gives you improved results, then increase it until performance drops then back up one notch on the ring.

What is your temp under full load? Is that the 70C? If so, you've got a bit more headroom...you can let it get as high as around 85-90C before it starts throttling down.

Edit: Also check this guide....http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

Last edited:
Temps

hi stuartiannaylor! Congrats on picking up some very nice hardware!!! Nice overclock, too!

Most people recommend keeping the ring speed 100-300MHz below cpu speed but, so far (I'm still a n00b with this chip, too)...I'm thinking best is to start out with ring failry low (around 4000 in your case) and seeing if you can increase your cpu frequency. Once you get to what you think is max cpu frequency, then increase ring to the 100-300MHz shy and run a few tests. If increasing ring further gives you improved results, then increase it until performance drops then back up one notch on the ring.

What is your temp under full load? Is that the 70C? If so, you've got a bit more headroom...you can let it get as high as around 85-90C before it starts throttling down.

Edit: Also check this guide....http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

Only getting 60-65C @ 100% CPU but its the noise from the fan. The PC generally is quiet even with Wot it is sort of half way between idle and 100% and I can cope with that.
@100% cpu the air flow is pretty dramatic even though temps are only maxing 65C.

Great guide I will have to read through.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 2,674
Everyone has a tolerable noise level. You can just ignore it like I do or maybe at some point invest in better fans. You still have lots of headroom with that CPU. Time to put that 60 pound cooler to good use.

What fan noise? Unless you're getting headaches or your ears are bleeding you can still handle more hehehe

Its excellent blew some paperwork off the shelf near by. :) To my surprise.

Intel Core i7-2700K (Sandy Bridge 4c/8t) 5022
Intel Core i5-4430 (Haswell 4c/8t) 5011
AMD FX-8350 (Vishera 8c/8t) 4994
Intel Core i7-990X (Gulftown 6c/12t) 4985
Intel Core i7-2600K (Sandy Bridge 4c/8t) 4880

My Pcmark7 computational mark @ 4.4Ghz of 4945 ain't bad.

4.5Ghz tolerable lol, maybe not for me.

Earplugs

Get you a good gaming headset to wear..lol Won't hear sh*t but the game. haha

Actually I don't mind it when gaming. Its just when it kicks in with normal use, its just slightly excessive.

I should of got a double cooler block and a case that could house one.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-002-SV&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2351

Silverstone Tundra Series TD02

Mine the Silverstone Tundra Series TD03 is a single block with two fans pushing through front and back.

I bet the double blocks are much quieter.

Just a last thought as the silver stone instructions for connection say this "Connect the waterblock and fan connectors onto the relevant motherboard connectors, installation complete"

I have the pump on cpu fan1 & the two cooler fans on cpu fan2.

The two cooler fans just have a 2-1 adapter.

What way do you usually connect the pump and fans as should I of connected the pump & fan on one with the other fan on the other.

Not really sure how the motherboard controls the fans to be honest as used to just a single.

Lol,

Ok cpu pump to sys fan1. cpu fan 1 & 2 now go to the cooler fans.

Apols but being a OC noob it didn't seem right to connect the pump fan to sys.

Now I have a cooler that is very quiet.

Still have a 4.4 Ghz barrier.

Its totally rock solid @ 4.4 Ghz.

The vcore increases to get 4.5 seem excessive and 4.6 I just can't seem to achieve.

Temp wise never above 70c.

Funsoul read your amazing OC of the g3258 do you have any tips?

It's all about the cooling Stuart. F_S ran that under a cascade. About -100c.

It's all about the cooling Stuart. F_S ran that under a cascade. About -100c.

I am not really hitting any cooling probs now. The way I had the cooler set up earlier it was switching to full power and was just a scare.

Not topping 70c but just doesn't like it.

Reading around not all g3258s are the same. Can't remember if mine is a Costa Rica one or not.

I am reading 4.7Ghz with fairly standard gear but for me its a no no.

if you still have the retail box of the cpu, where its made is posted on there. if you still have it and can post it, the SSPEC would be cool.

SR1V0 its a Malay one.
Batch number L417B973

Removed the cooler to get spec after cursing that I couldn't find the box.

After I finished in the other room is the box. Doh.

Had a look around the net and Costa Rica always seem to do better even though they are supposedly just packaging sites.

Mine being a Malay runs well up to 4.4Ghz, I can get 4.5Ghz but @ 1.340 v but had an odd crash. Above that no boot.

Its the UK so it isn't anything to do with heat as this house is old freezing heatsink.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121472969650?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC Graphics Card 3GB GDDR5 (2x DVI, 2xMini DP, HDMI) £86 New but missing outer box.

Typical when nothing in the bank.

Will replace the current 5770 next week and post some FPS results.

Last edited:
Did you check out the guide I linked? Probably a good idea if you post your current bios settings so we can take a better look. Yeah....as Johan45 said...you definitely do not want to use my settings.

Lol, don't worry as my little water cooler is not up to cryo specs.

Your settings are interesting though and have been looking at scaling your settings down.

I am an OC noob but with default settings and just mods to cpu core voltage and cpu ratio alone 44Ghz seems to be a stable max.

I have never overclocked before and made some mistakes.

Firstly don't get a single push / pull water cooler if you can. The air pressure increase is quite noisy.
If you can get a top 240/280 mount case and a dual radiator as the drop in pressure and better cooling and even top venting in my mind is a much better solution.

Would be great to have hind sight.

I am a little disappointed with my G3258 but maybe I am being a little harsh and underestimating my water cooler.

I am only able to get to 4.4Ghz and feel that the stock cooler with a rear fan in a gaming case on cpu2 and a front pusher on sys1 might of done the job and saved me a few pounds.

When I read about the G3258 I saw the magical figures of 4.7 & 4.8 Ghz with 4.5 Ghz being a norm.

It isn't a biggies as 4.4Ghz is great for a processor in this price range and the G3258 with a stock cooler in the above config with a descent graphics card is budget gamer nirvana.

This is the only reason I am disappointed is my noobness went OTT with a £60 water cooler and I am thinking its highly likely you could get 4.2 - 4.4 Ghz without one.

The cooler is like 2/3 price of a second hand Radeon 5950 but hey, maybe I am wrong and the stock will not do the job.

Currently as said I do have a water cooler and another noob mistake was the fan connections.

CPU water pump to sys fan1, Push / Pull to cpu fan1, cpu fan2 things work much better now in that generally my system is cool but much quieter.

Shopping wise with hindsight I would of purchased if I could of pushed the G3258 above 4.4Ghz

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/frac...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CL2rkMjH48ECFUeWtAodQXgACg

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ante...-kit-2xpwm-fan-240mm-radiator-led-temp-sensor

The voltage increases above 4.4Ghz just seem a little crazy for the extra horse power.

Mine is a Malay B steeping processor and being a noob I am learning not all are the same.

My current settings are pretty simple.

CPU Core Voltage 1.3
CPU Ratio 44
CPU Ratio Mode Fixed
Ring Ratio 44
Dram Frequency DDR3-1600

Stable and quiet and yeah I like it :)

CPU temp av 60 max 69
CPU total TDP av 49 max 58
IAcore total TDP av 39 max 49
Core 1 Temp av 59 max 69
Core 2 Temp av 54 max 65
screen.jpg

Don't worry about your current speed. No promises of course but looking at what you've done so far, 4.6-4.8 should definitely be do-able. You need to add some voltage to vccin, SA and at least a couple others. I'd also lower your ring speed for now....set it around 3400 until we can get your cpu frequency up.

Back