• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Intel processor for 1155 socket under 200$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

laci90

Registered
Hi so i just want to replace my G860 to a i3 or i5 at least dont want to spend much any ideas?

3470 is not bad, you can grab a used one for around $100 I think.

I still have one that I will give to a buddy next week, and won't be a bottleneck with any high end GPU (assuming you're gamng).

Keep in mind there is a 3 years warranty on box CPU's.

And usually, as these CPU's are not overclcokable (or very slightly), if it works when you buy it, it will work for ever! ;)

eBay.
2500K, 2600K, or 2700K.

IvyBridge are compatible with his board as well. And the B75 doesn't allow overclock: it's a waste of money to go "K" version, unless the OP plans on changing the board as well (which I doubt).

IvyBridge are compatible with his board as well. And the B75 doesn't allow overclock: it's a waste of money to go "K" version, unless the OP plans on changing the board as well (which I doubt).

Won't get an Ivy Bridge i7 under $200.
Picked the K chip because it's the highest clocked.

looks like i will have to buy a new motherboard and cpu

stick with what you have now, there are no improvements in sata standard to be worth while. as well as in ssd's, just because Sequential read/writes are up on the new SATA. the 4k write speed/read is still low. your not going to see gains going to a new motherboard with any ssd even with the higher Sequential speeds. as far as the cpus go, there have been no improvements to the cores for a improvement in per clock efficiency. meaning that the newer i3/i5/i7 in single core and multi core bechens will be within about 1% of each other with speeds being the same as well as the rest of the system.

as pointed out a K cpu is your best bet, if the board allows ocing. Do a bit of that on stock voltage, not sure what those cpus can do on stock. i bet you might see a good 400-800mhz increase in clock speed.

Depending on your POV, i went from a first gen i7 [email protected] with HT disabled (kept the temps down). To my G3258, dual core only no HT, clocked at 4.2ghz. i mainly play CSS/CSGO, with the same video card i get alot more fps in the game. since it is more tied to cpu clock speed for fps in those games as long as you have a dual core with a high clock speed ie 4ghz+ a quad in that game(s) is useless. what i gained though vs my old i7 was lower temps and a much quieter matx computer, donly down side. i couldnt find a MITX case/mobo i like with the features i was after to do it.

Is socket 1155 obsolete?

100% dead as a door nail.

I disagree with some of the other people here. I think you should look into an i5 like a 3570 (no K). Look on online stores and check the buy/sell section on this forum as well.

As was mentioned, going from 1155 (Sandy/Ivy) to 1150 (Haswell) you aren't going to see any impressive clock for clock improvements. It's mainly a platform upgrade. 6 SATA 6gbps, SATA express, M.2, better VRM (on the chip itself). That's about it really. Stick with your current platform and look for a used i5. You already have PCIE 3.0 so that's good. You have everything you need there IMO.

If you're after a cheap upgrade pick up a Pentium G 3258 on sale ($60-70) and an H81 board that is a confirmed overclocker ($40-60). The chip overclocks well on the stock cooler and you should get impressive gaming performance. However, some games refuse to even launch without a 4 core CPU, and some games really truly benefit from 4 or more threads, and will struggle with a dual core. In 95% of games though, the little Pentium will fly when nicely OC'd.

100% dead as a door nail.

I disagree with some of the other people here. I think you should look into an i5 like a 3570 (no K). Look on online stores and check the buy/sell section on this forum as well.

As was mentioned, going from 1155 (Sandy/Ivy) to 1150 (Haswell) you aren't going to see any impressive clock for clock improvements. It's mainly a platform upgrade. 6 SATA 6gbps, SATA express, M.2, better VRM (on the chip itself). That's about it really. Stick with your current platform and look for a used i5. You already have PCIE 3.0 so that's good. You have everything you need there IMO.

If you're after a cheap upgrade pick up a Pentium G 3258 on sale ($60-70) and an H81 board that is a confirmed overclocker ($40-60). The chip overclocks well on the stock cooler and you should get impressive gaming performance. However, some games refuse to even launch without a 4 core CPU, and some games really truly benefit from 4 or more threads, and will struggle with a dual core. In 95% of games though, the little Pentium will fly when nicely OC'd.

No, TheOCNoob, better to go wit a 3 years old gen cpu, as soon as it has th "k" letter, with a motherboard that does not support overclocking, without PCIe-3, or any other IvyBridge feature...

Guys, it's not your money yu're spending, right?

I can understand you're wealthy, but that might not be the case for evryone.

Again, better go with a $100 3470 IvyBridge than with an out of date 2500k... Heck, OP can even find an IB i7 below $200!

No, TheOCNoob, better to go wit a 3 years old gen cpu, as soon as it has th "k" letter, with a motherboard that does not support overclocking, without PCIe-3, or any other IvyBridge feature...

I don't understant this statement. :-/
Wha'chu meang meng?

Are you saying he's better off with Sandybridge than Ivybridge? I would go Ivybridge just for the PCIE 3.0. Cards aren't saturating even PCIE 2.0 X16 but more powerful cards come out all the time and eventually they will saturate even 3.0. I say Ivybridge is a more sound investment, given that the board supports it.

Of course, if Sandybridge can be had for a significanly lower price, go for it. It's all about how much future proofing you want. Want to be able to run a GPU that's brand new 4 years from now? Ivybridge. Otherwise it doesn't matter much.

I never do that future proof for 4 years time. Been at this two long even though an OC Noob.

Four years and there could be a raft of new technologies that makes your future proof obselete.

Anything top end starts about 400% above budget and in a year or two will be mid range and in four years should be turning up as budget.

I have to admit technology has slowed but a stop gap until you can do the whole ram, motherboard n processor switch might be the way to go.

Personally when we get 4 years forward we might be starting to see the death throws of wintel you just never know.

I never do that future proof for 4 years time. Been at this two long even though an OC Noob.

Four years and there could be a raft of new technologies that makes your future proof obselete.

Anything top end starts about 400% above budget and in a year or two will be mid range and in four years should be turning up as budget.

I have to admit technology has slowed but a stop gap until you can do the whole ram, motherboard n processor switch might be the way to go.

Personally when we get 4 years forward we might be starting to see the death throws of wintel you just never know.

ARM has a long way to go to catch up to top end X86. I think "Wintel" has at least 10-15 years left in it personally.

Back