• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hypothetical setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I'm trying to get my three R9-280x's up and running on one MB. Skipping the background on this.

If I get a socket 1150 MB that supports x8 x4 x4, will a dual core Pentium G3220 feed my three 280x's?

:confused:

Are they running in x-fire? Or is this some sort of mining rig? Why would you want such a low end CPU with all that GPU power?

Are they running in x-fire? Or is this some sort of mining rig? Why would you want such a low end CPU with all that GPU power?

Ummm.... for folding. I don't think I will x-fire the cards. Probably run on Windows OS of one kind or another. Just trying to minimize cost yet keep production up. A high end CPU will not provide many ppd anyway so I'm not compelled to get a high end CPU for that reason. I just need to keep the GPU's fed to max out my production.

I have a Core i7-920 with a nice MB now however, I think that the middle PCIe slot is dead. It would cost just as much to get a used socket 1366 MB as it would to get a socket 1150 MB/CPU. Instead of buying used, I might go for new.

only a dual core cpu will most likely slow it down a bit. not a big hit I wouldn't think but a hit in performance would be expected. maybe find a cheap quad instead. my concern would be the heat a 3 gpu pc will put out. I have tried it a few times with my z77 board out of a case. not so bad that way but in a case would be hot.

Thanks. It'll be in my dry but unfinished basement. It will be generally cool down there. However, maybe I will skip the case. I first need to make absolutly certain that the MB in question does indeed have a bad slot. If not, I'm golden. It will have a quad with HT. If the board does have a bad slot, then I have to get an alternative.

If I do have to go with plan B, I'll look into a quad instead of a dual. Thanks.

Quad for sure.

I fold on 2 cores and if I were to fold on 3 cores (I have an i5 so it's a quad core) I would be chocking my 2 GPU's.

Around 7,000 points hit IIRC. Something like that.

My own rule is 1 core free for each GPU. (Roughly anyway :p )

Back