• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 750 Watt G2 vs B2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Critical_level2

Registered
I have my new Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 gaming video card. I have not been able to install it yet as I do not have a powerful enough PSU at this moment. Currently I am running an E8400 with 4GB of memory. Over the next 6 months I will be upgrading to an I5-4970k and 8-16 GB of memory. I will probably overclock the CPU (I5) and the video card in a few years when the performance at stock speeds begins to slow when gaming, but nothing extreme that will require water cooling.

I am looking at the following PSUs:

EVGA 750 G2 - 114.99 (after rebate)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/429766/SuperNOVA_NEX750G_750_Watt_G2_ATX_12V_Power_Supply

EVGA 750 B2 - 74.99 (after rebate)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/434084/SuperNOVA_750_B2_Power_Supply

Is it really with the extra $40 for the G2 or would I be fine running the B2?

B2 is quite solid. Regardless of your components (unless you are rocking 3 GPUs).... which you mentioned one, and the processor so... You will be fine with the new PSU. Here is the summary from that article:
EVGA's 750 watt B2 unit is a pretty solid product for you budget minded folks out there. It's not the best thing I've ever tested, but it doesn't need to be. When you're targeting a unit at the budget crowd, some things have to be sacrificed. In this case, EVGA tossed out a little non essential performance in favor of giving you a decent and reliable product at a price that won't empty your bank account. This is exactly the kind of unit the market really runs on. Yeah, it's nice to dream about buying one of the more impressive Leadex based units, but if you can't afford one of those you still need a unit that's solid and dependable enough to get you by until you can get one of those beasts.

So far, EVGA's done a pretty good job at giving Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic some real competition in the marketplace, and they haven't made a single misstep since they partnered up with Super Flower. This unit is going to do well for them.

I also suggest to get all your money and buy at once. In 'the next several months' you will have a new CPU and chipset/motherboards coming out and you would likely want to buy those instead of piecing together old, but still plenty serviceable, parts.

The CPU you listed is also an I7 4790K and not an I5.

Last, you mention you don't have a powerful enough PSU to run the 970... but its a 150W card... What PSU do you have and GPU (goes back to listing the system specs like ATM asked). A decent 450W PSU would easily power a e8400 and a 970...

Last edited:
My system Specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Mobo - Foxconn MCP73M01H1 (OEM from an HP Pavilion a6300f)
Memory - 2 x 2GB PC2-6400
Video Card - EVGA 7900 GS KO (Slight Overclock)
Power Supply - Inland ILG-500-2 Gold Series 500 Watt ( 12V rail - 28A)
Case - Raidmax Smilodon 1st Gen Black and Silver

My current power supply is enough to run the 7900 GS KO with ease, but does not meet the required specs for the GTX 970. It also does not have the proper power connectors, as it only has a single 6-pin connector and not the additional 8-pin as listed by Gigabyte.

I mistyped the CPU I was looking at. I meant to put the 4690K, which is the I5 I am looking at getting.

That PSU is likely a piece of garbage is the real problem...

I would run your system on a quality 400W PSU (without overclocking) and the 970. Again, 970 is a 150W card, your CPU is 65W and the rest of the system maybe 100W. So on a modern quality PSU which actually puts more than 336W on the 12v rail like your old/garbage PSU, it would be plenty.

My only concern with a 500-watt is will it be enough to last a few years. I plan to upgrade to an I5 CPU, Z97 mobo and 8GB of memory within the next 1-2 months. I will also be overclocking at some point within the next year or 2. I want to be able to use it for the next 4-5 years and have it last through any overclocking of the CPU and video card. There may be the possibility of water cooling, but that highly unlikely at any point in the near future.

My only concern with a 500-watt is will it be enough to last a few years. I plan to upgrade to an I5 CPU, Z97 mobo and 8GB of memory within the next 1-2 months. I will also be overclocking at some point within the next year or 2. I want to be able to use it for the next 4-5 years and have it last through any overclocking of the CPU and video card. There may be the possibility of water cooling, but that highly unlikely at any point in the near future.

Okay, if you OC a 970 and i5 to the MOON AND BACK on custom water, you still won't use all of that 500W PSU.

A quality 550W PSU will handle any SINGLE GPU and CPU both overclocked just fine. ;)

At that level, perhaps grab a Seasonic. ;)

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate the info. I looked into the Seasonic G-550 PSU. It looks like a great unit and I plan on getting this one to replace the crappy one I have now.

Back