• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4k Monitors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neostarwcc

Basically, I'm looking for a 4k Gaming monitor to replace my 1440p and 1080p monitors (Asus PB278Q, Asus VH238H) and I'm considering 3 or 4 options.

ASUS PG278Q
Asus PB287Q
Dell UP2414Q
Samsung U28D590D
Acer XB280HK

I was wondering which would be a better choice since, all are around the same budget price range ($600-$800) since I know virtually nothing about monitors. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Specs:

I5 3570k
EVGA Geforce GTX 780 TI Superclocked SLI
ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME

Well, your first option isn't 4K, but it's the Swift which is a 27" 2560x1440 144 Hz TN screen. For me, the decision would be between the Swift and the Dell UP2414Q 24" IPS 3840x2160 60 Hz screen (w/ DP 1.2). Then you would have to decide whether you would like the higher refresh rates or higher resolution. Personally, I've never seen a high refresh rate monitor in action before, so I'd have to see one first before I could decide between the two.

Went from a 22" 1920x1080 LG IPS to the UP2414Q, and besides the resolution, the 10-bit color range is immediately obvious. Besides IPS and 10-bit, I picked it because it's 24". If they can put a 2560x1600 screen in my 9" Kindle Fire, they can damn well not demand 30 freaking inches for my desktop :) If you get the UP2414Q, be aware that is has a few firmware bugs related to power-saving, which may require turning it off and on when you turn on your computer or resume from standby if Windows is set to turn off the display after a shorter time than full standby. Nothing wrong with it during normal usage, though.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to go from a 27" screen to a 24" one even with the increase in resolution. In fact, the increase in resolution is exactly the reason I would want to go larger than what you currently have.

I wouldn't want to go from a 27" screen to a 24" one even with the increase in resolution. In fact, the increase in resolution is exactly the reason I would want to go larger than what you currently have.

Moving to a larger screen negates much of the DPI otherwise gained from increased resolution.

you guys must sit a lot closer to your monitor than I do. Other than a stuck pixel, I can't come close to being able to identify individual pixels on a 1080p monitor at a reasonable viewing distance. with a 4k monitor you could have the same ppi at double the size. by going smaller your increasing the ppi by over 4 times. unless you have super human vision it is unlikely you will be able to see the improvement.

by going slightly larger say 28" or 31" you get the benefit of a bigger viewing area and still have a very significant increase in ppi. besides, at some point things just become too small at a high resolution.

you guys must sit a lot closer to your monitor than I do. Other than a stuck pixel, I can't come close to being able to identify individual pixels on a 1080p monitor at a reasonable viewing distance. with a 4k monitor you could have the same ppi at double the size. by going smaller your increasing the ppi by over 4 times. unless you have super human vision it is unlikely you will be able to see the improvement.

Nah, my vision is just fine. It's everybody else that's blind :p I have a desk that I work and play at. I sit in front of that desk, and my screen is a few feet from my face at most. At that distance, 1920x1080 is quite easy to see pixels in on a 22" screen.

by going slightly larger say 28" or 31" you get the benefit of a bigger viewing area and still have a very significant increase in ppi. besides, at some point things just become too small at a high resolution.

You're using a crappy operating system, then. When you increase physical DPI, your operating system should increase rendered DPI. The idea is not to have more space. It is to have things look better, and reduce eye strain by preventing any possibility of the eye noticing pixels and doing relatively large focus adjustments.

I got the Samsung UHD... It is a great screen. The only thing is all your font will be very small unless you go and customize it in Windows. I went with 200%. Not all programs work like Steam, Mortal Kombat (readjust font to 150% and it works fine) with the change in font. Watching 4k video samples on YouTube will blow your mind... Gaming visuals is much improve through the display port.

Back