• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hose size and Y splitter question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doon1

Registered
So I'm setting up a chilled water system. I'm going to have 1 branch going to the CPU, 2 branches going to the GPU blocks, and 1 branch going to the motherboard MOFSET/NB/SB.
The CPU block is a Swiftech apogee. The GPU blacks are the Aquacomputer Hawaii R9 with backplates. The MB blocks are 2 Koolance 125 chipset and 1 100 MOFSET blocks.

I'm using a 70/30 distilled water/glycol mix cooled with a 5000 BTU window air conditioner.

I was thinking of using a 1" hose from the pump, split to two 1/2" lines and then have those split to 2 3/8" lines each. I'm having difficulty finding fittings to make this work. Would a 3/4" to 1/2" to 3/8" configuration be too restrictive? Anyone done this kind of coolant path splitting?
Thanks.
John

You're only going to have flow that equals the smallest tubing in the loop. I'd just go 1/2 all the way around. Less confusion, less points of potential leak, etc.

I don't understand. Won't the flow be equal to the sum of the 4 parallel 3/8" lines?

The point is why have 1", 3/4", 1/2" lines then? Is this all a single loop setup?

Your flow will be much more heavily influenced by block restriction than by hose diameter. The majority of the water will take the path of least resistance.

Your water also won't change much from the hottest point to the coldest point in the loop. A lot of people think it's will have wide 10-20 degree swings but the reality is 1-2 degree swings.

So all of those fittings and splitters and complications will often provide worse performance on at least one section of the loop, and that will usually be the cpu because it often has the most restrictive block, so it will get the least flow, and is also often the block design most impacted by lowered flow rates.

Lvcoyote. This is 4 loops using a single source and return. I want each branch to receive the fluid at the lowest possible temperature.

Supertrucker. I currently have a Swiftech Apogee Drive II running my CPU loop. What if I left that pump in the loop to make sure that the CPU receives enough of the overall flow?

The chiller will be remotely located. The primary focus is to make the computer completely silent. I also hope to maintain a temperature that is significantly lower that ambient.

If it reduces restriction enough it will take all of the flow and starve the cards and motherboard block. If you want everything to get the coldest water possible the only way you are going to do it is with a pump for each section of the loop. So one for the cpu, one for the gpus (if parallel) and one for the motherboard block.

And like I said, all of that work is going to net you a degree or less per component.

For noise sake the chiller and supply pump(s) will be remotely located in a window in the attic. I'm trying to work out a branching loop so there is only 2 hoses being brought through the ceiling. It will also make it easier to insulate the whole thing.

For noise sake the chiller and supply pump(s) will be remotely located in a window in the attic. I'm trying to work out a branching loop so there is only 2 hoses being brought through the ceiling. It will also make it easier to insulate the whole thing.

Ah ok. This should be interesting. Hope you document this and share with us what will be taking place. :thup:

The coolant in the system loop is going to reach an equilibrium quickly. there is no significant advantage to the loop layout you describe and a few disadvantages such as complexity and increased likelihood of leaks or failures.

Build a simple single loop for your system. I am assuming you are going to use liquid to liquid heat exchanger(s) for your below ambient cooling system. build a simple loop with either one larger or two medium sized exchangers and use a quiet water pump. I find the Eheim pumps to be quite close to silent. Ive just gotten a D5 variant to replace my eheim 1100 series and it is actually noticeably louder even at a setting of 2 but i need space and the d5 is a bit smaller (maybe 60% the size).

for the loop running to your attic you will need a pump capable of maintaining the head height you need. A fountain or pond pump is probably going to be needed here although the DDC type pumps can handle reasonable pressure and the MCP50 may even be a viable option. You will probably be better off using an eheim type pump in this scenario due to the pressure and head height required.

Simply due to the flow rates of modern waterblocks and pumps the water or other cooling medium will reach an equilibrium fairly quickly unless there isnt enough cooling capacity (then the heat will build until something fails - this is fairly unlikely)

This might seem like a silly question, but from an outsiders point of view reading about it.. He's running hoses up, though his cieling, and into the attack to the chiller unit and pump... It seems to me he'll have to worry about the strength of the pump, to pull the water back up the tube and into the attack, yeah? Or is it neglible, because of the quality of water?

I mean.. That's alotta water for a pump to push and/or pull up 10 plus feet. But maybe its not, and it just seems like it is cause its 4AM.

edit: i reread, and see my question was answered in the above post.

Problems abound here. They're not insurmountable, but they're not insignificant either.

Parallel is long proven to be pointless. Go with a serial setup. It's easier to set up and service, better performing overall, and has fewer failure points.

The lines from the attic to the computer will need to be well insulated to cool the components "well below ambient". I'd suggest copper plumbing tubing with plumbing insulation.

The computer itself will have to be prepped to prevent condensation from getting where it shouldn't. Any exposed cold piping will have condensation to deal with as well. Think carpets/flooring.

just curious where this little project stands. im wanting to go sub ambient with my next little project but im considering using a 4 heatpipe 140mm cpu cooler to cool the hot side of a peltier and placing a cpu block on the cold side.

just curious where this little project stands. im wanting to go sub ambient with my next little project but im considering using a 4 heatpipe 140mm cpu cooler to cool the hot side of a peltier and placing a cpu block on the cold side.

I've been pretty busy with work and wife stuff the last couple of weeks.
I've insulated the fish tank that will house the Evaporator and pump with 1.5" duct board. It got down to 3.4F with no condensation so I think it's a go. I laser cut a top for the tank that will also be insulated. I will be using insulated hard drawn copper pipe from the tank to the computer.
I rubberized a 939 motherboard and 6970 video card (the guinea pigs) I have laying around with spray on Plasti Dip. Still need to insulate them. I'm going to do a test run on these prior to hooking things up to my main rig.
I have all the water blocks except the video card blocks. I of course want the most expensive ones they have but am researching alternatives.
I don't think I will have an issue with the pump as liquid will find it's own level. I will only be "lifting" the coolant a few inches over the lip of the tank.
I hope to make some progress over Thanksgiving weekend.

Back