• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

check disk wants to run on one disk only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I was working in a large folder on a drive i have installed in a hot swap bay.
as i was working. a sub folder disapeared, I closed out to desk top and did a search for it and it could not be found.
I went back into that drive and it was still gone.
I rebooted the system and it wanted to run checkdisk on that drive.
i let it run checkdisk and the folder is back again.
I have cpoied the contents of that drive to another for right now.
what is this a sign of, failing hdd, sata port, hot swap card on the back of the drive cage?
I'm chucking the drive as this is impotant stuff on the drive.

Heh, I came in to answer a question about check disk on one disk only per the title, read the body and that isn't remotely the question...

Anyway, it could be an anomoly, who knows. If it happens again, I would look into a new drive. In the meantime, make sure it is backed up!

Check your chipset drivers as the hot swap bay might not be coordinating with your disk management software....just thinking in print....

I cloned the drive to another drive, is this a correct and safe step?

should I uninstall the chipset driver and download one from the asrock site?

I cloned the drive to another drive, is this a correct and safe step?

should I uninstall the chipset driver and download one from the asrock site?

What did you use to clone should be safe and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try and update your drivers just to be safe.

Your OS won't recognize the drive as a boot drive if you cloned your OS drive onto the hot swap drive. But that may be another subject. You shouldn't have to uninstall any chipset drivers, just install new ones; the overwrites on those generally don't involve issuing conflicts like GPU drivers can.

Depending on what he used to clone it could. I'll have to look up what I used to use but I've done it multiple times and had no issues with it cloning my boot drive.

it is not the os drive' just a working drive I take to the shop and home.

I used a drive dock to clone.

Thanks for clarifying that it's a data-only drive. Putting all your comments, and other posts as well, together it sounds like your portable data drive is about to quit behaving like a hard drive and more like a trout line weight. Scrap it.

is this a sign of corruption or mechanical failure?
should i copy the data to the other drive or is the clone fine?

First, simply compare how much data is on each drive. You'll need to have them plugged into a PC to do that but very simply, if the old drive had 1GB of data and the new drive has 1GB of data, your confidence that all the data was copied to the new drive has just risen. Having both discs plugged into your PC type into a command prompt:

comp [d:] [e:]

providing those are the drive letters for them and if I remember it correctly. It should compare both volumes and report on any differences.

Last edited:
did that, both drives in hot swap bays, and they are the same, so I am good.

Back