• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to insulate for ram under ss?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks

Getting the ss repaired on the 15th (woohoo!) and figure it's about time to try taking ram cold-ish. Have the EK Evo kit here and here. Plan to run the sticks under the ss at ~ -50C.

For benching on ss you will need some special insulation or you will see how burned pins look like ;)

So...anyone know what I should do for insulating? Know of any guides or forum posts that describe what needs to be done to avoid screwing anything up?

tia!

PS- Hi. My name's Stefan and I'm a hardware addict and glutton. As Woomack pointed out in another thread...I have way too much memory that I haven't even been fully testing :/ Hoping to spend time in the coming weeks/month trying to really learn about ram including testing and overclocking. Am also not planning any new ram purchases for the foreseeable future.

Hi MajorTemples
SS = single stage (phase change). Runs at roughly -50C. I generally use it for cpu cooling but it can also work for memory or gpus or whatever.

Vaseline in the slot and artist eraser between them.

Yeah, I have been saying for months you need to stop adding hardware and start benching it... :p

Thanks a lot the post makes a lot more sense to me now haha. Found a small description of it and the working on the overclockers site itself. Where did you get your SS or did you modify an AC?

Vaseline in the slot and artist eraser between them.

Yeah, I have been saying for months you need to stop adding hardware and start benching it... :p
Thanks Joe! So that'll do it? Yeah...been benching quite a bit but still gathering hardware where it somehow makes sense in my twisted mind. May end up alternating between the z97 setup and 775 action. Once the ss is fixed also need to bench out my few remaining 1155's and sell off that socket. Still have to finish benching out a few more 3930k's, too :/ At least I've got choices to keep things interesting :/

Thanks a lot the post makes a lot more sense to me now haha. Found a small description of it and the working on the overclockers site itself. Where did you get your SS or did you modify an AC?
You're very welcome MajorTemples! I bought it used.

Ive only taken ram cold once, but that worked fine for me when I did it. There may be other/better methods out there, but this was the least sloppy (vaseline everywhere).

Back