• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it difficult to tell the truth on resolution?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ivy

Apparently it seems to be a very high difficulty telling nothing else than the truth. My newest game that truly made me upset is that one:

The Evil Within:
PS4: Claimed resolution by Bethesda: 1080P. True resolution: 1920: 768 or 1080P Letterbox*
Xbox one: Claimed resolution by Bethesda: We prefer not to claim anything (good choice because it would start to become dirty). True resolution: 1600: 640 scaled to 1080P Letterbox*. Note: There is no description for this... other than straight :facepalm:.
On top of that, both games can barely manage 30 average FPS even at the resolution limitation. The hardware power did increase about 5 times compared to last generation (sheer FLOP value), the GPU itself more than that. Although the engine of many "next gen" games are so crappy that there is barely any difference noticeable compared to last generation.

*Letterbox, its already inside the name, is reserved "letter space" usualy used for sequences and movie industry (cinema aspect ratio, almost useless in home environment); In that term i just use a common word, but in fact it is a black boarder because to less resolution, a game does not have another ratio with the exception of max resolution/standardized resolution, nothing more and nothing less. Ratio itself got no meaning for games, because it is never used in a cinema, its the most dirty excuse i ever heard, on top of that a game can easely be programed in order to support many resolutions, it is not comparable to movie, a game is actively rendering content, its working completely different than a movie does (i tell it because there was way to much questionable comments related to that matter). Game is rendering, movie is streaming, just go get that right, it is a huge difference.

I could continue with this... but i dont because i have better stuff to deal with, i find it just important to notice this issue and that many gamers start to become offended at the game industry. My honest view regarding the "next gen hardware": The PS4 is sufficiently powered in order to run many optimized games at 1080P, it just needs a good engine and devs/publishers that are not deaf to handle matters. The XboxOne is clearly underpowered... (below possibility inside manageable TDP range of consoles) no clue why MS was so "cheap" at the current gen, they kinda cut themself. But main problem seems to be the current lack of programming skills or lack of willpower for fine tuning.

Besides, i just own 2 PS4 Games and 0 XboxOne (dont have XboxOne) but those 2 both made me upset because of many critical issues. In my mind the only good games so far is some improved version of a dated game, for example "Tomb Raider or The Last of Us". The first game is a forced-buy (bundle) and the second is plain mistaken... i had in mind it would be true 1080P (description) but i was not wise enough in order to investigate the matter closely... to much trust... trust have to be earned and is never free, its my own failure to give trust to the untrusted. I will fix the trust problem and try to make people aware of that issue... because i think its everyones duty not to let the "the evil within" spread the world, not the duty of a prayer.

But i have to say: Most people seems to be perfectly happy with the current condition, and as long as a game is new and hyped... everything is fine in the eyes of most people. I wont add even more other than the following lines because its a complicated matter. I hope they continue to throw money toward the industry for picking up inferior stuff, so hopefully someday i can get a proper game in any terms. Although if they gonna accept to much, because of illusion/blind trust it may not change matters because the industry will have no reason in order to improve. What works that works, so it can lead to unknown difficultys and may hinder the development, because it may spread the wealth toward a very few people, owners/dividends of hype-franchise companies, who apparently are not using it the way it should be used.

Last edited:
Back