• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual WQHD (1440p) Monitors with 7870?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dooms101

I need to upgrade my dual 1080p monitors to something with more real estate. I am considering jumping on some Korean 2560x1440 monitors but I am not sure if I'd be able to run two of them. I don't need these for gaming, so graphics performance does not matter.

I have a vanilla HD7870 with 2x Mini-DP 1.2 ports, 1x DVI-DL port, and 1x HDMI 1.4a port. From what I understand, any one of these ports will support a 1440p monitor no problem, but how about 2? Most of the Korean monitors are DVI-DL only, but I'm looking at the new X-Star DP2710 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/331180242313) which has HDMI and DVI-D.

Sooo, it certainly seems like I should be able to run two of these, but I don't want to drop $600 before knowing for sure. That being said, anyone have experience with these?

There's nothing to prevent you using DisplayPort with any of those screens; you just have to make sure the adapter is "active".

Worst case is you will need an active displayport to dual link adapter to run them both at native res. Those are 50-100$. It's possible it will allow 2560x1440 over hdmi, but it might also force 1920x1080, depends on the monitor internals.

Well, hopefully I don't have to buy an active adapter. I've found some specs on the HD7870 that state that the HDMI 1.4a port supports 4k resolution natively. I have an HDMI to DVI-DL cable so hopefully I can use that.

I ended up buying two of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330932578190

They don't have an "ad board", so the DVI connector drives the panel directly. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but I guess I'll be finding out in about a week.

Please post an update when you get your monitors. I have a gtx480 and am trying to decide how much more card I need to run an ultrawide qhd monitor 3440x1440 do your experience with two regulars qhd would be helpful knowledge.

Well, the monitors showed up today and look amazing.

But, I cannot drive both of them in a dual monitor setup. It turns out that DVI-D to HDMI cables don't actually support DVI-D...

So, I guess I have two options:

1. Get an active Display Port to DVI-D adapter, which is about $75
2. Get a new GPU with dual DVI-D

The adapter is certainly going to be the cheaper route to go. Hopefully you're card has enough juice to run them both

Well, it looks like only Nvidia cards come with Dual DVI-D ports these days. I'm gonna sell my HD7870 and pick up a GTX770 or GTX680/670

A thought: Your GPU depreciates exponentially faster than an active adapter, and you never know if your next GPU upgrade will have two DVI-D ports. Might as well get the adapters anyway :p

A thought: Your GPU depreciates exponentially faster than an active adapter, and you never know if your next GPU upgrade will have two DVI-D ports. Might as well get the adapters anyway :p

Well I decided to jump on a 680 for a good price. It should be a little more powerful than my 7870. Hopefully Nvidia keeps putting a DVI-D and DVI-I port on their new cards.

Back