• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows crashing when XMP profile is applied (Patriot Viper II Sector 7)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theplague

Registered
Hey there, I'm trying to apply the advertised settings of my 12GB of RAM but it's causing Windows to crash when I get to the desktop with several memory access errors.

Here's the memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220498

The settings that I tried to apply: screenshot-01.jpg .

And my current stable settings: screenshot-02.jpg .

Any advise is appreciated, thanks!

Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Edition 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV7312G1600LLK

Im a bit confused. Did you try XMP and not edit anything and it didn't work or are you entering the XMP settings manually...

CPUz screenshots would help... specifically the SPD and Memory tabs please (host at the site, not thirsd party if you could)

Your processor doesn't support 1600
While that is true, those processors had NO trouble running 1600Mhz or greater. Look at the other platforms ratings and look what they can run. Rating doesn't mean much in this case.

Is your memory in the top 3 slots of the board? (the three blue ones)

Technically it only supports 1066MHz.
That said, you should update your signature.
Again true, but it can easily handle the 1600MHz (not for you ATM, but for the OP and rayrays clarity).

You may need to add some voltage to the IO/SA...shouldn't have to but... its worth a try.

Again true, but it can easily handle the 1600MHz (not for you ATM, but for the OP and rayrays clarity).

You may need to add some voltage to the IO/SA...shouldn't have to but... its worth a try.

I've been well over 1600MHz on X58, just stating the spec sheet ;)
1800MHz was easy with X58 for me. I wouldn't worry one bit about the spec sheet, OP.

I'd look at upping the QPI and Uncore voltages.

Well, slow or fast rayray, 1600MHz is not a problem for that chipset/cpu. :)

Again think of Intel... X99 supports 2133Mhz ram...I run 3000MHz. Z97 is 1600 as well.. does 3K no problems. 1600Mhz on that platform should be easy breezy.

@theplague, X58 should work fine with 12GB RAM but for this capacity you have to sometimes raise QPI/VTT voltage. Try something like +0.1-0.15V. It will stabilize memory controller.
When X58 was released there were no higher speed 4GB modules on the market but boards were supporting it. At the end all depends from memory controller. Your memory settings in the 1st post are fine for this platform.

Back