• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for feedback on future build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vEx7

Registered
Well, I've got the bug again and I'm looking to make another personal PC.
Majority of the use for this PC will be gaming, graphic/web design, and maybe light video/music editing. So I will need to be able to run first person shooters (that's what I play most), Adobe Creative Suite (photoshop, illustrator, indesign, premiere, flash, etc.), video editing software, and music editing software with ease and speed. I also might begin streaming my gaming on twitch, so that's something to consider as well. Im looking for an all around solid computer here.

Im looking for feedback on the system as a whole. I'm not decided on a HDD yet, as I'm not sure how much storage ill need. I generally backup all of my art/production files to 1tb+ external drives, so space isn't a big issue. Oh, and Im looking to stay around $1500 for this one.

Specs im considering:

Case
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and All-Black Interior
$129.99
$30.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

Mobo
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$240.99
$35.00 Mail-in Rebate

CPU
Intel Core i7-5820k 3.3 GHz LGA 2011 V3 Tray Proce
$299.99 - Microcenter

CPU COOLER
Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 140mm UFB (Updraft Floating Balance) CPU Cooler
$74.99
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate

GPU
EVGA SuperClocked GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support
$209.99
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

Power Supply
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand PS-TPG-0850MPCGUS-1 850W ATX 12V V2.3 & EPS 12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified
$129.99

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Desktop Memory Model F4-2133C15Q-16GRK
$269.99

SSD
Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$109.99

CD/DVD Drive
LG- Internal 24x Super Multi Bare DVD Rewriter, SATA, model GH24NSC0 - OEM
$17.99

Total: $1483.91 (before Taxes & Shipping, without rebates)
Total w/rebates: $1383.91 (before taxes & shipping)

Everything is off of newegg, except for the cpu (from microcenter).

Im open to any and all suggestions. Also, please keep in mind that I'm not looking to go too much above $1500 before taxes and shipping.

Thanks in advance!
- vEx

With the type of programs and games you want to use, 256 GB is going to fill up quickly. I'd also sook at a Samsung 840 Pro, 840 EVO, or 850 Pro, as they are much better and probably priced about the same.

On the PSU... Corsair, EVGA, or even Seasonic would be a better choice. Again, probably right at the same price.

Graphics wise, I'd see what's available with 4 GB of onboard memory that fits your budget.

With the type of programs and games you want to use, 256 GB is going to fill up quickly. I'd also sook at a Samsung 840 Pro, 840 EVO, or 850 Pro, as they are much better and probably priced about the same.

On the PSU... Corsair, EVGA, or even Seasonic would be a better choice. Again, probably right at the same price.

Graphics wise, I'd see what's available with 4 GB of onboard memory that fits your budget.

Yeah 256GB SSD would primarily be the OS and games/adobe programs. Im going to match it with a HDD for storage of the bigger files.

I actually used the samsung 840 Pro in my first build. It worked really well, so I might go back to it. The crucial was just cheaper and more space for the price.

Might I ask why corsair, EVGA, or seasonic would be better? Im just curious why you say this?

For graphics, ill look into a 4GB card, I was considering the 4GB 770, but I've been reading that the 760 actually works better for adobe programs. Ill keep researching though.

Thanks for the feedback!

The TT unit isn't horrible by any means, but the other units I mention are built by OEM manufactures more highly regarded than Yen Sun Technology who is the OEM on that unit.

Listen to EarthDog, he's one of our most knowledgeable members. I always take his advice to heart.
You really ought to get a more reputable power supply. You wouldn't want your PSU to fail on you, or even worse, fail and take other component(s) with it...

The MX100 is a good SSD. I don't know what ED is saying about the 850 Pro being priced about the same as the MX100 as it's exponentially more expensive AFAIK, but otherwise, I think you should listen to him. I would certainly trust an 840 EVO over an MX100 given that the drives have been out for a while and have an excellent track record. Except for the issue where old data read slowly but that was resolved through a firmware update.

Also, you can get an R9 290 for about $245 (check PCPartpicker). For a tiny increment in $$ you can get a GPU that will oblitterate the performance of that 760. I highly suggest you go for it.

BTW are you planning on future SLI/CFX? If so, stick with an 850W unit. If you only ever plan to have 1 GPU in this machine look at a lower wattage PSU to save a few bucks. Maybe a Seasonic G series 550 or 650.

Listen to EarthDog, he's one of our most knowledgeable members. I always take his advice to heart.
You really ought to get a more reputable power supply. You wouldn't want your PSU to fail on you, or even worse, fail and take other component(s) with it...

The MX100 is a good SSD. I don't know what ED is saying about the 850 Pro being priced about the same as the MX100 as it's exponentially more expensive AFAIK, but otherwise, I think you should listen to him. I would certainly trust an 840 EVO over an MX100 given that the drives have been out for a while and have an excellent track record. Except for the issue where old data read slowly but that was resolved through a firmware update.

Also, you can get an R9 290 for about $245 (check PCPartpicker). For a tiny increment in $$ you can get a GPU that will oblitterate the performance of that 760. I highly suggest you go for it.

BTW are you planning on future SLI/CFX? If so, stick with an 850W unit. If you only ever plan to have 1 GPU in this machine look at a lower wattage PSU to save a few bucks. Maybe a Seasonic G series 550 or 650.

I appreciate the feedback!

Yeah after researching the power supplies, im going to definitely look at the other 3 brands suggested.

I do plan to SLI in the future, that's why I was opting for a higher PSU. I figure 850w will be enough for 2 way SLI. I don't plan to go above that so I should be good there.

Yeah i've been looking at SSD's more, and the mx100 price is just overall better. Yet, if I get a large HDD and just use the SSD solely as a boot drive then I might be able to get a SSD with smaller space and better reliability i.e. the 840 pro or evo.

Ill look into the R9 290 as well, I haven't heard anything about it so ill have to do some research.

Thanks again!
- vEx

- - - Updated - - -

ED is not in this thread..... :facepalm:

^this

LMAO

Get the board at MC as well, you get an additional 40 bucks off.

Put that towards a better GPU, Look at the GTX 970 possibly , Strix if budget allows

Agree, power and SSD can be better

the UD5 is on sale w/ rebate, can be had for just a few bucks more than the ex 4

I would take a long hard look it if it were me

Put that towards a better GPU, Look at the GTX 970 possibly , Strix if budget allows

the UD5 is on sale w/ rebate, can be had for just a few bucks more than the ex 4

Definitely take the UD5 over the extreme 4.

I might be crazy but I dont see these rebates/discounts on MC. The MC store I would be going to is the one in orange county, CA. Maybe it's on the online store? Im not sure.

Also, I'm a huge fan of Asrock because of past experience with my builds and builds for others. But I'm also interested to see why I should spend the extra $60 on the UD5. Anyone care to chime in on this?

Let me know and I'll consider it more.

Thanks guys! Keep the suggestions coming!
- vEx

My bad, meant the UD4

259.99 with a 30 dollar rebate and 40 off the combo

$ 189.99 said and done

My bad, meant the UD4

259.99 with a 30 dollar rebate and 40 off the combo

$ 189.99 said and done

It's actually 229.99 after the rebate. $40 off is already included in the 259.99 price. Its down $40 from 299.99.

I have been reading up on the GB x99 ud4, Asrock x99 ex 4, and the MSI X99S SLI Plus.

The GB x99 ud4 is the only one to not have a M.2 x4 slot, which is a short coming in the newer technology. The MSI has reviews that the spacing for SLI GPU's is limited due to board construction. I have yet to read any real negative comments about the asrock board as of yet.

I will keep researching, but I'm still heavily leaning toward the asrock.

- vEx

Within the next couple of months. Hopefully by January. I don't have a set date tbh.

- vEx

For the best possible results and the best prices, come back again and start a new thread right when you're ready to purchase. Figure out what the best deals are and pull the trigger right away. There are always new parts and combo deals.

You can get an idea... but to settle on parts now and buy months down the road wont get you the best deals... so good thread to get an idea, bad thread for specifics so far out. :)

Back