• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting "older" people interested in gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

My mother is an addict of such ipad games as Candy Crush, Pearl's Peril, and Words with Friends. I've been trying to convince her to play real games on a desktop or laptop (both of which are available in the house) for years now. Finally, I got her interested in something - The sims 4. I sat down with her and explained everything and she totally got the concept and played for over 3 hours straight. She still prefers her iPad but I'm thinking if I can get her to put in a few sessions of Sims and get her own family advanced in the game, she'll be hooked. She was giddy over such concepts as designing your own sim and house, and buying furnishings.

Fingers crossed. She's 58 btw.

Be gentle with all the ancient creatures in your life. Don't hurry the elderly and infirm. Did you offer her some pain meds and a walker before you started? Can she hear you o.k.? May be time to get her a hearing horn. Don't forget the diapers and perhaps chew her food for her while you two chat and play together whilst sharing a snack (soft foods for the elderly still need a good chewing by the younger, stronger, smarter folks in the population).

Punk.

What the hell kind of post is that? You're talking smack about my mother and calling me a punk? You have been reported and are on my "people I hate on OCF list"

She likes those games because she can kick back and kill time easily.
Put a controller in her hands, she'll warm up better that way.

She likes those games because she can kick back and kill time easily.
Put a controller in her hands, she'll warm up better that way.

She refuses to play anything with a controller. I've been trying since the original Super Mario Bros. It's got to be touch screen or mouse based.

I'm one of the "older" people , but I play World Of Warplanes and War Thunder. I may check out my World Of Warcraft account , too. I haven't killed any trolls or giant spiders in a long time. LOL. Is it the smaller format of the device she prefers?

Hope you're feeling better.

What the hell kind of post is that? You're talking smack about my mother and calling me a punk? You have been reported and are on my "people I hate on OCF list"

I'm having a good laugh out of this.....I'm older than your mum and have been playing games on PC and consoles longer than you've been using utensils to eat. Chill. Your post is blind to the fact that your dear mom had a life before she had you. Ask her about it some time. You may be pleasantly amazed.

PS. Don't be hatin'. Report me all you want. I've been reported before. Hope to be reported again. I've even had to sit in the corner.

I'm having a good laugh out of this.....I'm older than your mum and have been playing games on PC and consoles longer than you've been using utensils to eat. Chill. Your post is blind to the fact that your dear mom had a life before she had you. Ask her about it some time. You may be pleasantly amazed.

PS. Don't be hatin'. Report me all you want. I've been reported before. Hope to be reported again. I've even had to sit in the corner.

You insulted my mother and myself and you called me a punk. How is that funny?

BTW my mother has expressed a desire to play video games many times but she prefers the ipad format because she feels less overwhelmed by it. I've been trying to get her interested in more fully featured games for a while now.

Let's back up here Theocnoob and get some perspective.

What's with the"""""""OLDER PEOPLE"""""""statement. Quotation Marks Open, Quotation Marks Closed? Why do older people get the quotation marks? You want to make a point of AGE? Perhaps if you were older you'd be able to glean some really classical references from my statements. Mostly from movies which I'm sure your mom and I have enjoyed. I'm sure she'd enjoy watching them with you, maybe telling you when she first saw them, who she was with, where.

Movies starring W.C. Fields, Vig Mortensen, Jack Nicholson and Clint Eastwood. I'll help you with the last one: "go ahead punk, make my day." Ask your mom what games she enjoys. Listen to her. Show her what's available, but don't pressure her. Try to play some of her games with her as well. And ask her if books by Damon Runyon are as good as that guy on the web that you hate says they are.

You're welcome.

Last edited:
Let's back up here Theocnoob and get some perspective.

What's with the"""""""OLDER PEOPLE"""""""statement. Quotation Marks Open, Quotation Marks Closed? Why do older people get the quotation marks? You want to make a point of AGE? Perhaps if you were older you'd be able to glean some really classical references from my statements. Mostly from movies which I'm sure your mom and I have enjoyed. I'm sure she'd enjoy watching them with you, maybe telling you when she first saw them, who she was with, where.

Movies starring W.C. Fields, Vig Mortensen, Jack Nicholson and Clint Eastwood. I'll help you with the last one: "go ahead punk, make my day." Ask your mom what games she enjoys. Listen to her. Show her what's available, but don't pressure her. Try to play some of her games with her as well. And ask her if books by Damon Runyon are as good as that guy on the web that you hate says they are.

You're welcome.

I can put anything in quotation marks I want, bro. And quite honestly, I can't believe you haven't been given a 3 day ban. For your information, my mother doesn't like "classic movies" and only watches new releases. She wasn't into movies in her youth and was more of a book person. Also, I have tried playing her games with her, particularly words with friends, but I gave up after she repeatedly told me that all the words I came up with were stupid and not worth enough points.

You're just one of these "I am superior because I have all kinds of life experience" type of people. You don't think I know who Clint Eastwood is? I've probably seen more of his movies than you have. Leave me alone and "get a real problem". Ok? Seriously. All you've done is talk sheit in this thread. Did I provoke you? No. Take your arthritis pain out on somebody else.

As I'm within spittin' distance of Theocnoob's mom (age-wise) , I'll add this. I haven't been offended by the thread title or anything he has posted here. The thread crapping has a much greater negative effect , IMO.

ocnoob, chill out man. Don't take things, particularly those on the internet, so seriously. Old folks talk trash with a wry sense of humor and dgaf; it comes with the territory. I work with them, and if you don't take insult, they're pretty funny. So, for the TLDR version, don't rush to judgement.

Anyway, women love The Sims. Generally speaking, they are social creatures and love personal interaction. I don't think you're going to get her hooked on FPS's or anything that involves slaughtering monsters. Boinking bad guys like old school Mario is ok, but swords, guns, & things of that nature aren't going to fly. It's pretty cool you got her on the PC. That, in itself, is a win. Womenz are flightly creatures that like simple, hence the love of smartphones and tablets.

ocnoob, chill out man. Don't take things, particularly those on the internet, so seriously. Old folks talk trash with a wry sense of humor and dgaf; it comes with the territory. I work with them, and if you don't take insult, they're pretty funny. So, for the TLDR version, don't rush to judgement.

Anyway, women love The Sims. Generally speaking, they are social creatures and love personal interaction. I don't think you're going to get her hooked on FPS's or anything that involves slaughtering monsters. Boinking bad guys like old school Mario is ok, but swords, guns, & things of that nature aren't going to fly. It's pretty cool you got her on the PC. That, in itself, is a win. Womenz are flightly creatures that like simple, hence the love of smartphones and tablets.

"Humor" (I'm putting it in quotes because I didn't find it funny) and age are not easily detected in text compared to real life.. I didn't know the offending poster's age or intentions. Even if it was a joke it was in horribly bad taste and I will not tolerate having my family ridiculed, or myself being called a punk. There's funny, and there's just plain ridiculous and over the line.

"Humor" (I'm putting it in quotes because I didn't find it funny) and age are not easily detected in text compared to real life.. I didn't know the offending poster's age or intentions.

Exactly my point, hence the "particularly those on the internet" statement. So if you can't deduce the "offender's" intent, why are you so intent on creating offense? Relax. It's just the internet. You will never, ever, EVER, get your way here (the internet).

I'd much rather hear about your mother playing games than read about this drama.

I caught the satire in the 1st post you didn't like. (If something seems like an overly obvious insult / jab, it's probably a joke) But yeah, if I didn't know the person who posted it (which I don't) then I guess I'd kinda be like WTF? :screwy: Some kinda crude stuff there... So yea, a joke. A bad one with arguably poor taste, but none the less a joke.

Any who, I think we're all all right :)

And I used to like the sims. My question would be, why would you want her spending more time on a computer? Anyone I see playing games on a phone or an iPad already wastes too much time on them. I guess you're just opting for a more pleasurable, full featured experience for her? That'd probably consume more time. Just my 2c.

Just because they are older doesn't mean they don't play games..My grandpa is 72 and he plays the sh*t outta COD. Its actually pretty funny. He gets more p*ssed than I do.

Be gentle with all the ancient creatures in your life. Don't hurry the elderly and infirm. Did you offer her some pain meds and a walker before you started? Can she hear you o.k.? May be time to get her a hearing horn. Don't forget the diapers and perhaps chew her food for her while you two chat and play together whilst sharing a snack (soft foods for the elderly still need a good chewing by the younger, stronger, smarter folks in the population).

Punk.
I resemble this remark....:p:nuts::D

My question would be, why would you want her spending more time on a computer? Anyone I see playing games on a phone or an iPad already wastes too much time on them. I guess you're just opting for a more pleasurable, full featured experience for her? That'd probably consume more time. Just my 2c.

If she's going to waste 4-5 hours per day on games, she might as well spend that time on games that are actually engaging and require forethought and planning. She mostly plays words with friends now and she doesn't even come up with the words herself, she puts her letters into a "cheat" program and it makes words for her. At least with the sims she has to think and plan. Plus it's something we can do together, of which there are few other things.

I resemble this remark....:p:nuts::D

Why do you have six cell phones? (in your sig)

Amusing thread, especially the "they" references to- you know, the older people. **off topic- I believe that there was a sci fi movie called "they".
No, it was "Them!" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047573/ Great movie, but I digress.

Yea, the internet- not a real place unless you make improper 'advances' to FBI agents working undercover. Thing is, they never buy the line that you really have a thing for cops...

BTW my mother has expressed a desire to play video games many times but she prefers the ipad format because she feels less overwhelmed by it. I've been trying to get her interested in more fully featured games for a while now.

I say try cross platform games. She likes candy crush have her play on the pc she has more lives. Find games that are simulator with a growing complexity.

I have also been trying to get my mother in to games, she been home ill and just watched cop dramas all day. Can't get her to try anything more then card games and mahjongg.

Back