• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade or new rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd look for a used heatsink as well SP, I have picked up a few older high end ones on Ebay in the past for less then $20.00 with S/H. Namely a Prolimatech Megahalems and Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120

Is the first slot on your board an unused slot (ie, PCIE X1)? If so you can likely fit a D15. If not, get a D14.

No, there is no high performance part similar to the stock cooler. Not enough surface area in that small of a space.
Looking at your "cupboard case" :p I see nowhere that a sizeable (240-280mm) AIO unit could be installed.
I was gonna shove the AIO at the end of the case below the 7850 (but outside the case)

And no, the first slot is Pcie x16, and houses the 270x...........

If you have an AIO then use it but I wouldn't pay the money for a new one when I can get a really good Air heatsink for under $20.00. I also wouldn't but a AIO used.

Just to give you a little info on the two heatsinks above, I did non scientific testing with them and my CM 212+ on my 2500k @ 4.5, running Prime Blend for 20minutes. All the testes were run within an hour and a half, so my room temp may have changed slightly but 1-2 Deg F max. I used the same TIM and same fans running at 100% on all 3 heatsinks. The Prolimatech beat the TRUE 120 by 1-2c though this may have been due to TIM application or temperature change in the room, so lets call it a wash. The two aforementioned heatsinks, beat the CM 212+ by 8-10c across the board. I will also add that on the Megahalems, I was able to run my 2500k @ 5.3 with 1.48 Cpu V for benching all day long without issue on ambient air.

Not sure what your plans are for the upgrade, if you're looking to really push on the chip then by all means get the best possible cooling you can afford. Though, if you're only looking for a good daily Oc I don't see the need to pay $50.00+ for something when <$20.00 will be more then enough.

If you have an AIO then use it but I wouldn't pay the money for a new one when I can get a really good Air heatsink for under $20.00. I also wouldn't but a AIO used.

Just to give you a little info on the two heatsinks above, I did non scientific testing with them and my CM 212+ on my 2500k @ 4.5, running Prime Blend for 20minutes. All the testes were run within an hour and a half, so my room temp may have changed slightly but 1-2 Deg F max. I used the same TIM and same fans running at 100% on all 3 heatsinks. The Prolimatech beat the TRUE 120 by 1-2c though this may have been due to TIM application or temperature change in the room, so lets call it a wash. The two aforementioned heatsinks, beat the CM 212+ by 8-10c across the board. I will also add that on the Megahalems, I was able to run my 2500k @ 5.3 with 1.48 Cpu V for benching all day long without issue on ambient air.

Not sure what your plans are for the upgrade, if you're looking to really push on the chip then by all means get the best possible cooling you can afford. Though, if you're only looking for a good daily Oc I don't see the need to pay $50.00+ for something when <$20.00 will be more then enough.

Yeah, I was second guessing the AIO choice since I don't have one....
Thanks for the second opinion Manny :thup:
I'm not looking too hard for a cooler and CPU right now, need to save up first then I'll go hunting :)

Distract the person who prohibited you from touching the cookies long enough to steal a couple of cookies. Don't forget the milk.

:rofl:

Also, what's the Zalman CNPS5X like?

Would it be good for some OCing on a 3570K?
'casue it's $11.99 at Canada Computers after MIR and Zalman makes good stuff :D

Or a GELID GX-7 (CC-GX7-02-A) Rev.2?
Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 CPU?

I'm just listing the coolers available at the Barrie Canada Computers location. (Maybe have a peek online too eh?)

Last edited:
SP, why are you against the more recommended coolers like the Hyper 212 Evo. I'm in so many threads I can't remember if yours is ITX/ATX or what but if it fits the 212 is a good choice and wont break the bank

SP, why are you against the more recommended coolers like the Hyper 212 Evo. I'm in so many threads I can't remember if yours is ITX/ATX or what but if it fits the 212 is a good choice and wont break the bank

The 212 EVO is a PITA to mount, just saying.

Silver, check out some Xigmatek units.

I'm not :p

I was just unsure if it would hold up against a 3570K OC'd as high as I can get it.
Read Manny's post 8-10*C difference got me some 'cold feet' for a Hyper 212.

But if is actually enough for a 3570K then by all means, I'll pick one up :)

@AMT
Xigmatek Gaia II?
Can't find much reviews on it :-/
Either that or the Dark Knight SD1283.

Last edited:
Check Frostytech

The Gaia II is the very new, improved model of the old Gaia. Which is in my server.

Check Frostytech

The Gaia II is the very new, improved model of the old Gaia. Which is in my server.

Keeps it cold eh?

I think I'll get either the Gaia II or the Hyper 212. Both will be a snug fit and the bonus is the top of the coolers would support my sagging plexiglass top LOL.

So it really depends on availability and price.
I'll start looking for both today

Last edited:
Yeah damn.. Not much luck on the Gaia II.

Can't find anyone selling it (or I suck at Google)
Hyper 212 EVO or Zalman CNPS10X Performa are left. The latter being not too shabby it seems. (And on sale lol)

Read Manny's post 8-10*C difference got me some 'cold feet' for a Hyper 212.
Maybe I didn't translate my thoughts as well as I should have, the 212+ is a really good heatsink for the price, I ran 4.5 on my 2500k all day long on it. Yes it can be a little tough to mount, I've seen worse though. My point was in the price range of the 212 you could pick up a used heatsink that will outperform it. As far as the Xigmatek heatsinks Rgone bought a used Aegir sd1282 a while back and tested it on his 8350 it held up remarkable well on the 8350 and if it can OC a 8350 to 4.6-4.7 it will handle a 3570k easily, the dark knight looks very similar to it.

Back