• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade or new rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
The age old question... Upgrade or build a new rig?

Now that I'm employed for the next little while, I can set aside some play money. :)

I was thinking of getting a 3770K because I bought the Gigabyte board last year and I love it, plus my i5 2300 has enough power for most programs/games I run.
Minecraft still chokes, and I 'm pretty darn sure it's the CPU holding it back.

But, Intel has been releasing all that new tech... Maybe I should just build a new rig?

Minecraft and Skyrim are the most strenuous games I run, and I don't plan on getting any more games really.
Which is why I think the 3770K will be fine since I don't plan on doing running any new titles...
What do you guys think? :shrug:

Well, honestly I don't think a 3.5Ghz 2nd gen i5 is holding you back and the PCIE x16 2.0 you're going to get out of that CPU is equivalent to PCIE X8 3.0 so that's not really a bottleneck either.
270X isn't a BAD card... Honestly, I don't know why you want to upgrade given the relatively non demanding things you want to play on this machine.

Why don't you just get an SSD like ATM was saying?

If you really really just want a new toy, a 4790K and a nice Z97 board wouldn't hurt. You could get that sucker up to 4.5Ghz and you'd gain 6 SATA 3 ports on chipset vs 2, as well as SATA express and M.2... so a nice platform upgrade all around. Do I think you need to do that? No. But if you want a new toy, it's a good option. I really like the ASRock Extreme 6. It's about $165 USD.

Even if you do the CPU/mobo upgrade I still think you need an SSD. You don't want a fast system with a slow HDD.

An SSD... Not sure how I forgot those :-/
Yeah SSD is on the top of the list for sure. 840 EVO :drool:

PCIe X16 2.0?
The 7850 is for gaming and it gets PCIe x4 2.0.
The 270x is mining/folding now and it runs at PCIE 16x 2.0, I assume this was by design on the mobo...

So basically, a 3770K would be a side grade, and not worth it..
I always thought it was the older tech of the CPU holding me back...
Perhaps not then eh?

~$500 gets me a snazzy new CPU and a decent board, not bad actually. I was thinking it would run me up a lot more. :p

If you want a REAL "big pimpin" upgrade look at X99. Even the cheapest CPU/mobo/RAM there will cost you about $700 though. Much more than going Z97.

I say get the 4790K, get either a Z97-A or a Z97 Extreme 6, and look into upgrading your GPU.

Actually, S_P already has a z77 MoBo. For +/- $200, he can get a 3770k (price of a 4690k), that can be overclocked to 4.5GHz at least with a good cooler and is 5 to 10% slower per clock to a 4770k/4790k.

That would be my choice. Add $150 for a 250GB SSD, and you're good for a couple of years.

If you want a REAL "big pimpin" upgrade look at X99. Even the cheapest CPU/mobo/RAM there will cost you about $700 though. Much more than going Z97.

I say get the 4790K, get either a Z97-A or a Z97 Extreme 6, and look into upgrading your GPU.
Wow, that's not cheap :shock:
But they are beast chips :cool:
Actually, S_P already has a z77 MoBo. For +/- $200, he can get a 3770k (price of a 4690k), that can be overclocked to 4.5GHz at least with a good cooler and is 5 to 10% slower per clock to a 4770k/4790k.

That would be my choice. Add $150 for a 250GB SSD, and you're good for a couple of years.
That was my thoughts originally - actually, it was Johan45's idea. He mentioned it to me after I finished benching my current i5. :D

Damn... this isn't all that easy to decide lol.

Not much to loose going used 3770k, will still be a good resell value in a year or so. You could even sell the cpu/mobo/ddr3 combo and grab a skylake/mobo/ddr4 by the end of next year.

SSD, case, used 3770K, and a good cooler.
That's what I'd do.

Gets you something you can OC, gets some proper cooling, and gets you on a solid state (finally)

Not much to loose going used 3770k, will still be a good resell value in a year or so. You could even sell the cpu/mobo/ddr3 combo and grab a skylake/mobo/ddr4 by the end of next year.
I might wait a few years till DDR4 settles down in price :p
As if I do what you just said, this current rig will become full time folding/mining.
SSD, case, used 3770K, and a good cooler.
That's what I'd do.

Gets you something you can OC, gets some proper cooling, and gets you on a solid state (finally)

I like the last part :rofl:
Any favorite cases you like Austin?

I'm going to browse Blaylock's sticky on cases too

I was just suggesting the platform upgrade because it's an extra $145 total, and the platform upgrade is significant (all Sata 3, Sata express, M.2)... Worth it IMO.
IB is still a great chip though if he wants to save a few bucks.

SP, just an FYI, my son was having issues running minecraft with my old Athlon II 4400+ and GTS 450 Gpu so I gave him my Asrock Z77 Extreme 4/2500k combo with 8g of DDR3 1600 ram. He has no issues whatsoever now and it's set at stock clocks. So if you're looking to save a little cash maybe get a 2500k. My 2500k did 4.5 on a CM 212+ @ 1.325 Cpu V, it's a really good chip.

SP, just an FYI, my son was having issues running minecraft with my old Athlon II 4400+ and GTS 450 Gpu so I gave him my Asrock Z77 Extreme 4/2500k combo with 8g of DDR3 1600 ram. He has no issues whatsoever now and it's set at stock clocks. So if you're looking to save a little cash maybe get a 2500k. My 2500k did 4.5 on a CM 212+ @ 1.325 Cpu V, it's a really good chip.

But he's already got an i5 @ 3.5Ghz. A 2500K wouldn't really be much of an upgrade.

I must have missed the budget when reading through this ?

A 3770K would be a nice upgrade to what you have, an SSD is a not brainier.

I would also look at GPU upgrade, a used 760 or a 280 can be found cheap

Either 3770K, or the i7 2600K would be the 2 options in terms of CPUs.
2500K is a nice chip, but like OCnoob said, I've aready cranked my chip way past it's limits...
But he's already got an i5 @ 3.5Ghz. A 2500K wouldn't really be much of an upgrade.

I must have missed the budget when reading through this ?

A 3770K would be a nice upgrade to what you have, an SSD is a not brainier.

I would also look at GPU upgrade, a used 760 or a 280 can be found cheap
Budget? :p

Just gathering ideas right now - still have to save up for this, but planning ahead will give me a ballpark idea on how much it'll run me to upgrade CPU + get an SSD and maybe a 280x.

Or if it's better to just scrap the idea and go new tech...

I'm not here to 'future proof' per say, but rather suit my needs with room to spare kind of idea. :)
I feel like my CPU is just barely enough, as if I could run it at 4 Ghz it'll be perfect hence the 3770K or possibly i7 2600K now. But I don't know if that will give me the 'room to grow' in case I suddenly decide to game hard or something...

The I7 1155 socket chips are still viable in today's market SP. You're not talking about some huge difference in computing power between them and the Haswells. If you were looking for the best of the best and/or using it for "real work" like rendering videos or something of the sort that you were being paid for and time = money, then I'd say go for newer tech. If you just want a fast computer for your needs they still certainly qualify.

The I7 1155 socket chips are still viable in today's market SP. You're not talking about some huge difference in computing power between them and the Haswells. If you were looking for the best of the best and/or using it for "real work" like rendering videos or something of the sort that you were being paid for and time = money, then I'd say go for newer tech. If you just want a fast computer for your needs they still certainly qualify.

Okay, makes sense.

So here's what I've gathered:
3770K (or any "K" cpu really) good SSD (and a 280x at some point in time) would suit me better as a new rig with new tech would be nice, but is pretty much overkill at its finest. :p

You've got a Z77 board, so get a 3770K. The PCIE 3.0 will set you up for a longer lifespan in terms of not bottlenecking GPUs for the next several years vs PCIE 2.0 which at 16X is approaching being a bottleneck (though it is not a bottleneck yet).

The price of a 3770K shouldn't be too much higher than a 2700K, and, though the 3770K doesn't have a soldered IHS and won't perform as well thermally, I still feel it's a better choice.

You've got a Z77 board, so get a 3770K. The PCIE 3.0 will set you up for a longer lifespan in terms of not bottlenecking GPUs for the next several years vs PCIE 2.0 which at 16X is approaching being a bottleneck (though it is not a bottleneck yet).

The price of a 3770K shouldn't be too much higher than a 2700K, and, though the 3770K doesn't have a soldered IHS and won't perform as well thermally, I still feel it's a better choice.

I'm looking at the i5-3570K as well. i7's nice, but I'm unsure if I really need it... :shrug:

I would start from scratch...it is way more fun!

*snip*

I wouldn't buy a pre-built again. That's what I did, and I added all the stuff to make up the current i5 sig rig. ;)

Plus, I'm not a fan of Alienware after Dell bought 'em :-/

Last edited:
Obvious spam is obvious.
Could you two that quoted it please remove their link from your quote?

Back