• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Probably a common question... which gtx 970?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Go for the PNY. That's what I have and I'm quite impressed with it, specifically how good the cooling is.

There's a lot mixed reviews about that one. I'm still trying to decide but I have about a week and some days :D

Edit: Can I OC the cheaper ones up to the FTW one? I read someone OC'ed it to 1500Mhz (EVGA 04G-P4-1972-KR model) for example. So with the $330 ones, can I do the same? or get close to those numbers?

Last edited:
I'd like to toss in a word of caution: The 970 cards all seem to be plagued by coil whine. If you can hear that kind of sound, you might not want to get one of these. It looks as though the major makers all made similar mistakes in equipping the power delivery sections of the cards.

If it's not a problem, I'd just grab one that isn't EVGA. The cheaper cards will overclock, but there's no good way to tell how much :)

All cards below ~$350 are about the same. Nearly reference design and that's all. ASUS Strix has quiet cooling and good power section. It's also quite short. If you want something that let you OC higher then go for Gigabyte Gaming or Zotac AMP Omega.
Every EVGA is the same card just some have better cooler and different profile in BIOS. Simply if you buy the cheapest EVGA ( which is kinda reference card ) then you can flash BIOS to the FTW or Superclocked.
Gigabyte, MSI and Zotac have better power section. Gigabyte or Zotac would be my choice as MSI has warranty stickers on the cooler and people are complaining about coil whine more than on other GTX970.

Zotac will be my buy then,
Small, quiet, and easily overclockable. I have mine overclocked at 1185 mhz base clock and 1400 boost clock stable. Temps idle 32c
Sounds good enough to me. Thanks for the input!
--Update--
What about the EVGA with ACX 2.0? would that superior cooling? Coil whine isn't a problem, I wear headphones.

Last edited:
EVGA ZCX 2.0 is a solid card too. I would get that over PNY and Zotac if only for their customer service.

Back