• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kali Linux on EeePC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

I inherited an EeePC (HA1005) from a client; as far as I can tell there's nothing physically wrong with it, she just got annoyed at the short battery life (I've noticed that the battery will discharge even when turned off if left unplugged..not really an issue but I would like to get that fixed if it's financially viable).

I'm planning to turn it into a security testing rig and have been trying to install Kali Linux. I have the bootable flash drive and it works in a laptop. However...first attempt, I'm able to get to the partitioning stage and then "SIGKILL sent to all processes"--bam, shutdown. Subsequent tries won't even let it get to the partition stage, I get the same result with a netbook-optimized Ubuntu (my other plan was to install another *nix flavor first and then try dual-booting).

The original OS was Win7 Starter, and I realize now that I didn't format the drive first.

Any ideas (besides what I should have done in the first place)? I might try an older version of BackTrack and see what that does.

How could you install lin without formatting? You have to change from NTFS to Ext filesystem.

In any case sounds like bad hardware, can you still RMA? Heck if its an Eeepc bleh I wouldnt even bother paying to repair unless you can DIY.

As for distros, I would recommend Matriux or Backtrack for pentration testing, im no expert but this is from what I heard. Or porteus which is very small and good for netbooks and slackware based and has a lot of security stuff if im not mistaken.

Btw, j00 white hat? :D

OP probably already has this solved since the thread is a month old, but make sure the media you're using is built for the architecture you're using. My money is on you trying to use x64 media on x86 hardware, just a guess though.

OP probably already has this solved since the thread is a month old, but make sure the media you're using is built for the architecture you're using. My money is on you trying to use x64 media on x86 hardware, just a guess though.

Yes, the HA1005 has the Intel N270 which is 32 bit. I was surprised, as my 1001px is only a few months newer but is 64 bit.

The version of kali (newer Backtrack) that I downloaded was said to be netbook-optimized, but something probably got lost in translation (the drive was supposed to be formatted/partitioned by the live distro as part of installation; that's where the trouble started). Life intervened, but I'll probably dust things off to try again--I have two computers in pieces around the room and am leaving for vacation in a week.

I'm white hat (dabbled in the 'black arts' using some donor computers that are cut off from the network once I've downloaded what I want).

The version of kali (newer Backtrack) that I downloaded was said to be netbook-optimized, but something probably got lost in translation (the drive was supposed to be formatted/partitioned by the live distro as part of installation; that's where the trouble started). Life intervened, but I'll probably dust things off to try again--I have two computers in pieces around the room and am leaving for vacation in a week.

I'm white hat (dabbled in the 'black arts' using some donor computers that are cut off from the network once I've downloaded what I want).

Porteus for netbooks man, runs in RAM

As for hats, mine is green. But hey, I think the morality is relative when it comes to colors :D

Back