• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVidia Shield PC gaming from the couch pretty much rules (for this guy at least)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Noob

With Nintendo's Wii U and Sony's game streaming to the Vita I have been trying out these streaming gaming options and decided to upgrade the PC and buy a Shield.

For an old fart who doesn't have much time to game, has a wife who thinks being in the same room is spending time together and has no desire to sit at a desk, this thing has renewed my love for PC gaming. It requires some set up and tweaking like any PC gaming experience, but any game you can map to a controller or that has native support works great on this thing.

If you want to untether from the PC once in a while and sit on the couch for some action or RPG gaming I highly recommend it. Single player FPSes are great too, but I would not play multiplayer due to the controlled and latency.

Nice, I Love mine as well. Ive had it since about February and its done me well. I use it for gaming and general tablet use even.
Did you pick up the Shield portable, the hand held with built in controller, or the 8in Tegra tablet with wireless controller?

Also I have discovered for those games that wont pick up the shields controls, Im using a wireless xbox 360 controller with my PC (they have some serious range) with a homemade xbox 360 wireless adapter.
You can get a kit from best buy or the like...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=pc_xbox_controller-_-23-109-243-_-Product

I made mine...
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/thr...reless-receiver-for-pc.668839/?jdfwkey=wfmtq3

Just about evey game picks up on the Xbox controller. And some will ONLY work with it. (ala certian steam indie games)

It is the portable and a third party mapping program for games that don't have controller support, which is pretty good for some games and not so much for others.

It would be nice to have a portable with the tablet chip, but the portable has plenty of power for now.

I am going to try the Xbox remote tomorrow, that is a good idea.

Have you tried Halflife 2. It's a great port.

I have not actually,I just streamed it from my pc heh. Was thinking picking up the portal port though.
I also play a few games with emulators on my portable.

What 3rd party mapping program are you using? I've used the nvidia built in app that maps on screen controls to the game pad but thats about it.

I have a wireless keyboard, and mouse, but my controller is wired, the Logitech F310, works as an X-box, or as the traditional, there's a little switch in the back. Most games the traditional is the way to go, but I just beat Shadows of Mordor, and had to use it in Xbox mode for that. I love the controller, but may go to wireless with that also, but right now my I'm on the couch, computer is a few feet away, and the 42" flat screen is on an end table, with my feet resting on the lower shelf of it... But I own my own trailer, and live by myself, so I can have everything in the middle of the living room, and have nobody to complain about it. Hell in a couple weeks, once I know the snow is going to stay here in MI, the Harley will be another addition to the living room furniture lol

Back