• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

proxy servers and routers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

anyone here use a proxy server to access the internet? or do you, like most people, use a router? i have been thinking of setting up a squid proxy server in my home. i like the idea of caching things like windows updates, games, and so on (reason for why i want 12tb :D)

but again, what is your experience with the two? do you use both? why?

I have not set up a proxy at home. I just use a basic consumer grade router. Years ago I looked into setting up a squid server. Back in dial-up days. The idea was to have it download items at night to speed up browsing during the day. Never got it done.

I lost interest in the idea because my internet connection is fast enough that I don't care. I may play around with getting updates through my 2008 SBS but again, I have enough bandwidth that its hard to get motivated to do it.

The squid server could be useful if you have limited bandwidth or data caps. I can see only downloading updates once on the network in those cases.

idk if squid is going to chache things like games. i do know alot of people have setup nginx reverse proxies specifically setup to capture steam / game files. anyone happen to know if squid would catch it?

Back