• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 @ 4.0GHZ - Lowest Vcore ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

josilva93

Registered
hello, im a owner of a old intel i7 920, and with my new graphicard this setup still running fast!

i got my cpu oc'd for like 3years on 3.2Ghz, not much but was a significally diference on performance...

now its time to push the limits, to 4.0GHZ!!

Setup:
intel 920 do
gigabyte x58a-ud3r
memory: gskill sniper 9-9-9-24 1,5v 1600mhz - 12gb

bios settings:

Advanced CPU Features:
CPU Clock Ratio ..................[a] 20x200=4.0GHz
Memory Multiplier..................... [8.0] = to run memory at default clocks
Uncore & QPI Features:
QPI Link Speed ...................[A] - x36
Uncore Frequency .................[A] - x17

Advanced Voltage Control:
CPU
Load Line Calibration ........................ LVL 1
CPU Vcore .................................... 1.300v
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v .......................[A] - 1.335V
CPU PLL 1.800v ...............................[A] - 1.860v

MCH/ICH:
PCIE 1.500v - auto
QPI PLL - auto
IOH Core - auto
ICH I/O - auto
ICH Core - auto

DRAM:
DRAM Voltage 1.600v

well, the problem here is, im running at 1.3v vcore and im not stable at prime, some workers stop during stress test... and i think im running a high vcore, because i saw alot people running it a 1,2500v core stable... what setting should i ajust to get better stability and try to lower vcore?

im only ocing cpu, ram will do it later, and after cpu i will try to tweak a bit more the uncore...

any awnsers for me? off the old users of i7 920 and masters? :D

reggarcs

What temperatures are you hitting when stressing, as recorded by HWMonitor?
What stress test and settings are you using?

temps don't are the problem here, since this cooler is a good air cooling!
im using prime95 - blend test.

the problem here, is why im needing too much vcore for a stable 4.0... with default memory speed :(

With 1.3vCore and a NH-D14, there is no issue with temp, unless the HSF is not mounted well.

OP is asking for feed back on his settings, not about temp check, as he obviously knows they are fine...

i know temps are fine, but i think vcore is a bit high... and im trying to adjust my settings with the help off forum users...

What's the ambient temp?
I wouldn't let it get much over 70°C max with Prime95 running...

vCore commonly varies from chip to chip. Nothing new there.
Some are higher, some are lower.

What's the vCore under load?

Temps are a part of the picture...

ANyway, every CPU is different. So just because billybob's does 4Ghz @ 1.3v doesn't mean yours will. You need to find a stable vcore.

You shouldn't have to touch PLL voltage though.

Temps are a part of the picture...

ANyway, every CPU is different. So just because billybob's does 4Ghz @ 1.3v doesn't mean yours will. You need to find a stable vcore.

You shouldn't have to touch PLL voltage though.

you see something wrong on settings? what you do recommend?

See my edit.

cpu-z read 1.296 with llc lvl 1, but i increased a few volts the vcore to test again and lowered ppl

Well you're safe to 1.375V on the CPU, per Intel.
Keep it under 70°C during Prime.

you see something wrong on settings? what you do recommend?

cpu-z read 1.296 with llc lvl 1, but i increased a few volts the vcore to test again and lowered ppl
I mentioned that you shouldn't have to touch the PLL voltage... that means to put it back at stock. Everything else looks fine, you just need to find a stable vcore.

Well you're safe to 1.375V on the CPU, per Intel.
Keep it under 70°C during Prime.

oki thanks, and the cpu daily dont run always at full usage... so not really a problem, because idle temps are 36-40s

its ok to leave that settings on auto ? or i should adjust atleast IOH / ICH cores?

- - - Updated - - -

I mentioned that you shouldn't have to touch the PLL voltage... that means to put it back at stock. Everything else looks fine, you just need to find a stable vcore.

ok, thanks !

Set your IOH Core voltage to 1.30v. That should help a bit with stability.

See what that does.

It might not be the only thing needing adjustment, but it is one thing I noticed you didn't adjust.

You shouldn't need to adjust the ICH voltage though. I've never needed to touch that one when I've overclocked on LGA1366.

Back