• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

screen tearing fix? (on games)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sirnippil

i have done a ram overclock (8GB kit A-DATA Technology DDR3 1600) from 1600 to 2400 and noticed there is no screen tearing during Battle field 4.
Anyone else noticed this with ram overclocking?

http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=31654662479
link to my benchmark score

update:
I set my ram back to 1600mhz with the same timing from the ram that I replaced, still no screen tearing.

I'm guessing the Corsair XMS3 ram was doing it, because the ADATA XPG V2 doesn't do it at any setting.

Last edited:
I know that some guys have theories that fast RAM is helping especially on multi card setups and they say it's visible. I didn't check that personally but I'm not playing much. It should help in memory access time and general bandwidth but I think it more depends from used platform. New CPUs have fast and large cache so it shouldn't be so visible. Maybe more in SLI/CF.

I thought screen tearing was present just when the FPS didn't match the refresh rate of the monitor. Running with Vsync on greatly reduces it.

I thought screen tearing was present just when the FPS didn't match the refresh rate of the monitor. Running with Vsync on greatly reduces it.
This.

If fast ram helps, I have never heard of it before... got any links Woomack?

i set my ram back to 1600mhz with the same timing from the ram that i replaced, still no screen tearing.

I'm guessing the Corsair XMS3 ram was doing it, because the ADATA XPG V2 doesn't do it at any setting.

I can't figure out how ram would cause screen tearing though. See Janus' explanation on why that happens...(It's a gpu thing)

This.

If fast ram helps, I have never heard of it before... got any links Woomack?

As I said, I didn't check it , I just saw some guys who were saying that high speed memory is helping them in sli setups. One actually bought from me 2933 kit but I think he wasn't really happy with results.
I have no idea if high memory clock is solving screen tearing issues on any platform. On AMD I saw screen tearing but I think it was more general platform performance than memory itself. For sure it wasn't graphics card.

It shouldn't as they really are not associated. The output coming from the gpu has already passed through system ram calls and was then handled by the gpu. If it is somehow causing screen tearing, I'm confused as to how it would be.

It shouldn't as they really are not associated. The output coming from the gpu has already passed through system ram calls and was then handled by the gpu. If it is somehow causing screen tearing, I'm confused as to how it would be.

i know, it's weird.

Yeah. I don't believe it at all in fact. Someone needs to throw down some science/facts here as the conjecture isn't enough.

Back