• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED i5-4200U vs i7-4500U for Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Domino

Would I notice a significant difference in gaming performance between the 2 CPUs?

Last edited:
I wouldn't game on these personally... but if its all you can swing... it is what it is. I would go for the faster of the two as the $ difference should be pretty small. Always get the best you can afford.

Yeah, the idea in laptops is to always get the best possible CPU you can afford. The issue is that I'm on a budget (university student) and I'm wondering if spending the extra 50 bucks would be worth it. The most CPU intensive job done on the machine would be basic CAD and photoshop work. Outside of that, gaming.

It's an Lenovo Y40. Just after I made my order they dropped the price down of the i7 version.

Alright, will do. Thanks guys.

I noticed in a Company of Heroes benchmark (all that I could find) was a difference of 2 frames (both unplayable with the GT730m). But for CAD work, if it makes a good enough difference, definitely.

Cheers!

[Edit] Eh, the difference is not huge. It's 50 bucks but that is also 50 bucks of food.

Ahhh...decisions. I might just stay with the i5 as I've already ordered it.

Last edited:
I went to school for mechanical engineering. I do photography on the side.
The extra threads will help with what you're doing.

I went to school for mechanical engineering. I do photography on the side.
The extra threads will help with what you're doing.

Well they are both dual cores with hyperthreading. I'm in electrical engineering and 50 bucks of food is sounding more appealing to me right now for a moderate performance increase.

Gezz..I am not good on making decisions. Still tempted with the i7.

[EDIT] I think there is software overclocking tools that would even jump then clock rate up. So if needed, in the future, I have that head room.

Last edited:
Shoot, I forgot that the U series is dual w/ hyper for both i5 and i7...
Yeah, just go i5.

Back