• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Scratch Build] ROG V-3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

L4mka

PROJECT V-3

So, I'm back again and again with a new project. :)
And again it will be a custom build the entire time I invented and I've never seen so originality is garanted from me 100% ;) you know what I mean .. This project is also apologise from me and I want to prove I'm not a copier.

Unusual water cooling component layout and graphics will not be planted directly into the board, but will be used PCI-E card extension cord and positioned so that the entire visible and it obviously transparent water block.

The whole computer will again be water-cooled using TOP products from the best companies, except for the reservoir - will be custom CNC drilled.

This will be something quite a bit smaller for mATX board, width 300 , length 336 and height 378 .

Again, I wanted to see inside because inside will be good components and it will all be color coordinated, so the choice fell on the side of a piece of clear acrylic.

The main points of the project:

Case built from scratch with an unusual design and layout of components
Custom reservoir in front of the PC, CNC machined from a piece of acrylic.
The rear radiator grill with unconventional due

Completion of the project would see the second half of January, it depends a lot on how much time I have to spend studying and other things. : D

I'm not much for writing, so now the facts about the case and some dimensions of course renders and sponsors. :)

Material:

Sheet steel
Acrylic

Capacity:

Position 240 for two radiators, bottom max. 45 mm thick
mATX motherboard
Position for one graphics card
Position ATX power supply, D5 pump and reservoir

Components:

Intel i7 4790K
ASUS GENE VII
ASUS GTX780Ti DCII
Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 800
Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 120 mm
Kingston 3K 240 GB
Kingston HyperX Black Fury 16 GB

And, of course, water cooling components, but about those another day: D

RENDERS

I have long hesitated about color matching of the entire PC, came to me two suggestions:

1.) Green - probably UV water and UV acrylic elements
2.) Red and wide to align with ROG motherboard

So far, I have decided for the red, but I'll see throughout the building, if it still will not change. : D

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

ram.png

SPONSORS

Again I must mention great companies which supports me and believe in me. Thanks!

rog.jpg

[url]http://www.asus.cz [/URL]
ASUS Maximus VII GENE
ASUS GTX780Ti DCII

ss.jpg

[url]http://www.aquatuning.cz [/URL]

ALPHACOOL NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240 mm
ALPHACOOL NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 240 mm
ALPHACOOL VPP655 - single edition

bp.jpg

[url]http://www.bitspower.com [/URL]

The complete water cooling - blocks, fittings
TOP for the pump
Mod Kit for D5 pump

hypX.png

[url]http://www.kingston.com [/URL]

HyperX SSD 3k 240 GB
HyperX RAM 16GB Black Fury

bq.jpg

[url]http://www.bequiet.com [/URL]
6x Silent Wings 2 120 mm
Power 850W Zone

icm.png

[url]http://www.icemodz.com [/URL]

Sleeving, cabling

plx.png

[url]http://www.plexi.cz [/URL]

Czech company MK Plexi
They will support acrylic for reservoir

Well, it would probably suffice for today :D Even here last picture, the current Progress. More to come very soon.

1.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE 1

I write my logs in Czech language and then just past in Google translate for english. So please take this English as is. :D

I finally made some progress with regard to the main frame, the worst phase of the project, I would say: D It's not quite such fun to draw and invent everything so that everything fit and fits. That's why I wanted to start gradually ..

Corrosion on metal plates do not mind - I know about her. :D These sheets are probably just a test, and then I'll burn the whole case is finished and will go straight into the paint - come to me about it more cheaply than sand.

In today's update will be a lot renders me most showed how the frame will look like. :)

Exploded frame from two perspectives that you were the most clear how it actually folds. This folding system is perhaps the most widely used in the world, one piece bends and snaps to another. D This bending process is used in much of cabinets and used it as Brodholm in his Model01. Due to the CNC bending can achieve really great accuracy throughout the skeleton closet.

render2.png

render3.png

But as I said, I will proceed gradually. First render sheets, which I have done.

render1.png

I have unfortunately DSLR, but perhaps as soon as I have: D, or the requirements respectively. well illuminated spaces with great background. Therefore, such an improvisation shoot and important things. :)

Here it is seen first batch of finished sheets are the sides that are screwed into the top and bottom plate. It fits under the plan, so now I'll go to illustrate the front panels, which are not screwed into the bottom and the top, but the side panels. This will give great strength and stability of the cabinet - at least I hope so. : D

1.png

Detail of the bend on the lower portion of the housing, the bottom plate is 4 mm overlap, since the sidewall will have 3 mm clear plexiglass and 1 mm cover plate.

2.png

Upper detail of the bend, there has upper sheet without overlapping at the same time with the side.

3.png

A view of the lower housing. There will still middle parting sheet, which will of course hold the base and divide time into two parts. The right part of the course for the board, graphics and lower radiator and the left part of the expo, pump, power supply, SSD and radiator. :)

4.png

Professional supervision of the project, I dont wanted to photograph her here, but she always come and dont wanna go away ..: D

5.png

For today everything again. In the next update will have the remaining two frame plates and perhaps a center plate for the plate. :)

UPDATE 2

Arrived very interesting package from ASUS, so I wanted to show you what was in it and have some parameters.

rog.jpg

I would like to really thank the company for ASUS sent the products and also for the overall support in this project!

I received motherboard Maximus VII Gene and graphics card GTX780Ti with DC2 cooler. :)

0.png

Boxes from the motherboard, of course, in the style of Republic Of Gamers. Inside the package you will find, in addition to motherboards, CD with drivers, SATA cables, stickers, sticker on the door, and many other interesting things.

1.png

Maximus VII Gene in all its glory, of course, their color blends beautifully into this project, which is completely toned black / red.

2.png

4.png

5.png

GTX780TI is definitely a very powerful graphics card, but this version is even overclocked and equipped with a condenser DirectCUII. The card is also supplied backplate, but even here, as well as a cooler, not make use of, due to water block for graphics, which has its backplate. :)

6.png

7.png

8.png

The power of the graphics card old pair of 8-pin power cables.

9.png

The only thing I do not like the card is probably the protrusion SLI connectors. But after installing the water Bitspower block, this projection should not be something glaring, so it will not be a problem. : D

10.png

UPDATE 3

Corrosion on metal plates do not mind - I know about her. : D sheets will be before powder coating sand blasted.

Finally I finished the frame and everything fits as it should. In this update, new plates (for the frame).

- The front plate
- Rear plate
- The middle plate
- Plate mount graphics cards

This is a back plate which serves to mount the PSU. Also, there are holes for the I / O motherboards and outputs video card.
These 4 elongated holes are for mounting plate for the graphics card.

0.png

The front plate. There is no need to explain much of anything - cut to the left is the "window" in a hole on the right is ready for reservoir with corresponding holes for the screws around the perimeter.
Again, 4 elongated holes are for mounting plate for the graphics card.

1.png

The middle plate where will be mounted motherboard. There still missing two holes on the bushings for water cooling tubes, but I do not know exactly where to lead, so I drilled as an afterthought.

2.png

Bracket for mounting the graphics card in an unusual position. It consists of two sheets, is a first carrier, which is then anchored to the frame (specifically, the front and rear plate).
The second plate is mounted to the carrier. On this plate is screwed graphics card. Therefore it should if it was my measuring accurate.: D

3.png

Assembling the outer portion of the frame. The side plates are mounted in the lower and upper plate. The front and rear plates are mounted to the sidewalls but - to ensure maximum stability of the case.

4.png

5.png

There render the holder on the graphics for better understanding.

5a.png

Holder and middle plate mounted. Now the frame is complete and I can parse it again: D because I'm going to sandblasting and then straight to the powder coating.

6.png

Detail on the middle plate. These are stitching operation for 24pin from the source to the motherboard and keep the entire bundle of cables nicely arranged. :)

7.png

Awesome man! :)

If I had the tools to work sheet metal like that, I think everything I own would be in a custom case haha. Really cool though, can not wait to see the progress.

UPDATE 4

For today, let's just such a picture of plexiglass that I received from Prague company MK Plexi.

plx.png

I would like to really thank the company for Kingston products sent to this project!

expa0.png

I'm sure a lot of you know what these two pieces of 20 mm and 8 mm plexiglass will be for :p. More about it, but not until next week. :)

And while the frame is in the paint shop and would like to take this time to introduce other products. This time from Kingston HyperX.

hypX.png

I would like to really thank the company for Kingston products sent to this project!

I received HyperX 3K SSD 240 gigabytes of RAM and 16 gigabytes of memory HyperX Fury in the black version.

1.png

2.png

Packaging SSD is really nice and in terms of widgets supplied to the SSD, so it's definitely to perfection! In addition to packaging SSD find:
- External box with USB 3.0 cable
- Screwdriver shaped pens with three attachments (2x Phillips and flat)
- Sata cable
- CD with drivers
- Sticker HyperX and screws for mounting disk

Really a lot of things in the package :)

3.png

Here photos of the disc itself. Processing is in good hands and act disk very strong and good. Some SSDs are lightweight and has quite cheesy, but that's not the case of SSDs from HyperX.

4.png

5.png

As for the RAM memory, here it was only plastic packaging and there HyperX memory and a sticker. But on the other hand, what more to add memories.. :p

6.png

7.png

UPDATE 5

Things got a bit again in motion and incorporated in the expansion tank. I mean, it was produced. Known has access to a high qualit CNC, so it was no problem to mill reservoir of high quality.

The reservoir which I designed holds about 470 ml of liquid, which in my opinion is enough.

It was enough just to deliver a 3D model already and started to mill :D

1.PNG

2.jpg

Clamp 20 mm plexiglass and milling preparation. Excuse the quality of photos:)

3.jpg

Milling main pockets for water, the bottom was then still a "cross over" to 18000 rpm to be beautifully clear.

4.jpg

Milled pocket water and 4x G1 / 4 "threads for the fittings. Missing still milled groove in the seal and also to M3 screws around the perimeter.

5.jpg

The first part of 20 mm plexiglass is done as planned.

6.jpg

This upper "cover" part which of course closed and sealed reservoir. On the sides is taken away 1.5 mm, to be embedded in the sheet Expo and thus were then simultaneously.

7.jpg

There brief video of the milling main pocket.

Provisionally assembled a few screws without sealing, everything fits. Uff :D

8.jpg

At home, I made a few better pictures. But I found that taking of acrylic is not as easy as i though. :D

9.png

10.png

Here it is the gasket and the entire reservoir is folded. I decided to fill it with water UV me well right now and could clearly see the possible shortcomings and thus fluid leaks.

11.png

But as you can see the reservoir works exactly as it should. :) Just nowhere and nothing is leaking.

12.png

Photo from the side.

13.png

14.png

At the end of this week will be a big update full of photos, so be tuned! :D

Cause I want and like red + black theme :) And I cooperate with ASUS for few years, so.. :D

Why is this Asus themed? Wouldn't you want your project to be non branded by companies?

Brand loyalty? Advertising? Sponsorship? Lots of reasons, I'm sure.

Awesome work! It amazes me the craftsmanship some people (not me) posses!

Very Very Nice L4! You hooked me with the 24 pin stitching through the middle plate. I haven't seen this done and excited to see this. Sub'd for sure!

UPDATE 6

In the week finally came the long-awaited and very important package from Bispower. :) It has everything required to create a water loop, except for the pump and radiators.

bp.jpg

I would like to really thank the company Bitspower for products sent to this project!

They are in fact products of high quality and definitely deserves some attention.

I received Bitspower fittings, blocks and TOP for D5 pump

Block for CPU with acrylic top and two G1 / 4" threads for the fittings. The block has prepared holes for LEDs, if you would like to illuminate.

2.png

The appearance of the block, of course, implies that it is intended for motherboard Maximus Gene VII. Unfortunately, I will not use passive heatsink on the southbridge because original from ASUS looks better imho.

5.png

Block RAM. There probably I havent nothing to say, again this block has prepared holes for the LEDs.

3.png

The biggest and hardest block can not be anything other than the graphics card. Card with this block weighs about 1540 grams. The block is for 780DirectCUII, but with the tiny finish (photo below in this post) sitting on my 780T DirectCUII.

8.png

From the photos it does not appear, but the total is approximately 70 pieces. There Angle Adapters (mostly revolving), type C47 fittings for acrylic tubing..

14.png

TOP for the pump and the Mod Kit.

13.png

First I decided to install a water block on the video card, but I ran into a problem that me from the beginning quite scared.

1.png

Removing original coolers and cleaning the core of the original paste.

2.png

And here we come to the problem. The block itself is designed for 780DC2OC. I thought that when the cards have the same PCB and EKWB offers one block on these cards, so that even the block from Bitspower will fit the 780TIDC2OC. Well, I was wrong :D I must say big thanks to Jesse Palacio who gave me good advice about this. Thanks!

3.png

4.png

The cards have almost the same PCB, the difference is only a few capacitors and just one of them was a problem because it did not fit the block on the card.

780.jpg

It was, however, not drastic, so I used dremel and then it was all OK. In addition, this grinding is not visible as capacitor covers it.

5.png

After that, nothing prevented a paste and apply pads, flip over the card and install the backplate and thus assemble the card with the block.

8.png

Even then I did on the card tiny detail. :)

9.png

10.png

I also finally brought back from the paint shop varnished sheets and I could mount the card straight into its holder, which will make the card vertically.

Card holder, which consists of two parts.

1.png

Assemble the plate with the card was easy and my measurements are accurate and card fits as it should. :) Detail on the back, there is easy to see how the whole thing is assembled.

3.png

Here it is a front view of the card placed in the holder.

2.png

Photos of painted frame i will add here as soon as I find some time to take pictures :) Here is just a little taste :D

IMG_0869.png

UPDATE 7

I write my logs in Czech language and then just past in Google translate for english. So please take this English as is. :D

Here's the seventh update :) As promised, so adding photos powder coated frame. So far, only partial composition ..

1.jpg

The frame is painted in powdery paint color RAL9005 MAT. The entire frame is decomposed area about 1 square meter. Painting for 2 square meters came to CZK 302 (+- 15 USD) , which I think is a very nice price for a little ridiculous to me, because at home it just does not paint cheaper. The powder painting was finished in less than two days. :)

The pictures are maybe a little to see how I tainted it by my hands :D But at this stage of the frame is not worth cleaning.

2.jpg

There already is a sheet that here there probably did not show and I also did not describe its functionality .. Suspect someone for what is it?

3.jpg

4.jpg

It is the holder for SSD disk. This bracket comes to the rear side of the reservoir. I have long wondered where to actually place SSD, because there really is not much space.
Eventually I came up with this solution, which seems to me a very practical and nice, judge for yourself. :)

5.jpg

In the evenings, I tuned the final touches on the exterior metal sheets and then I let them lasercutted. If you're interested price for cutting, for example sheet with Bitspower inscription came to CZK 95 (+- 5 USD) including material which is again, at least for me, very cheap.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Finally, I had to lasercutted three components whose functionality is to create a red edges between the frame and the outdoor sheet. The large square is red upper edge and then there is one part of the source and one for I / O boards and graphics card :)

8.jpg

That's all for today, maybe next update will come back again next week, so be tuned :D

It's looking really nice L4mka. I wish we had those kind of prices here in the States.

Back