• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem posten from XFX motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I am currently working on a rig for a kid, i scraped some part together, LGA 775, Core2quad and an xfx motherboard.

This motherboard wont boot from USB, so i made a cd so i could boot from USB. But i have hit a problem.

I have usb with windows 7 image on it, but soon as i plug into any usb, the pc freezes. The usb works fine on my other rigs, just not this one. I have tried other (non image) usb and no problem.

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on?

No it does not, this is why i made a cd with bootmanager so i can.

The problem is, this USB stick just freezes the pc.

Well durr, thats been stated since the start, but you seem to missing the point completly.

The issue is, that soon as my USB key touches any of the 8 USB ports, the pc just freezes 100% (pre windows) But no issue with other USB keys being plugged in.

I made a linux bootable cd with a boot manager, so that i could boot from USB, but no matter when or where this one usb key was plugged in, the pc just freezes 100%, within a split second.

Well durr, thats been stated since the start, but you seem to missing the point completly.

The issue is, that soon as my USB key touches any of the 8 USB ports, the pc just freezes 100% (pre windows) But no issue with other USB keys being plugged in.

I made a linux bootable cd with a boot manager, so that i could boot from USB, but no matter when or where this one usb key was plugged in, the pc just freezes 100%, within split seconds.

Okay, so you found a random incompatibility. It happens in the world of custom computers.

Okay, so you found a random incompatibility. It happens in the world of custom computers.

Now there is an answer i can get behind and understand. Since all my keys are USB 2.0 and the board is 1,1 and 2,0, i figured a 2,0 would work. But if such incompatibility is possible, it does answer the question.

In anycase, the motherboard is XFX nForce 680i SLi.

Oddly enough , my Win 7 installation wouldn't boot at all with a PNY flash drive in a USB port , even a blank flash drive , and would end up corrupting the boot manager if I let it try for too long. Having my San Disk flash drive in a USB port causes it to take up to two minutes to boot. Same results with two different mobos (both ASUS).

My mobos have no problem booting from a flash drive formatted in FAT 32 to reflash the BIOS , but they get all stupid with a NTFS formatted USB drive. Could be an ASUS thing , or a me thing , or a PNY thing. I never did figure it out.

Back